HUGE APOLOGY!!! IT WAS MY FAULT....

Steve Moskowitz

Recently, an entire thread on the American Underslung was deleted.  It was an accident and I just learned it was my fault.  No one else's.  I banned a member for just cause but was not aware that by doing so it would take down the entire thread.  I simply did not realize he started the thread.  I am horrified that not only I did this that others were blamed for my mistake.  

I have discussed this with Peter and will make sure that nothing like this happens again. We got a very lengthy apology from the person I banned.  it was heartfelt and based upon the stress in his life at the time it is more understandable.  Still no excuse but a reason.  We will be reinstating him.

To all those who were affected by my actions I can only apologize.  I certainly had no intention whatsoever of deleting a great thread. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 10

Easy to understand how this might happen.  This is a great forum, though I'm quite sure that being a moderator/administrator can be really hectic and time-consuming.  Lots of people dealing with their own kinds of stress right now.  Don't beat yourself up too much - the more you stress about it, the more likely it is to happen again.

Mistakes are going to occur from time to time.

• Like 5

Steve, don't let this deter you from continuing to keep an eye on what happens here.  I appreciate the efforts of all to keep the site enjoyable.

Terry

• Like 2

Welcome to "the law of unintended consequences", is well known particularly with complex software. At least a mistake here does not result in someone else making a large smoking hole in the ground. Always found the American Underslung an interesting car. Nothing new about putting the axle over the springs. One key to being a SME is being able to make a mistake and admit it (just make less than most people).

We’ve all been there at one time or another. Heck, isn’t that why they say “$h1t happens and do do occurs! “ 

If that is the only thing you have done that has resulted in unintended consequences you are one lucky guy. I’m sure no one is going to hold it against you as you have always had the best interest of this perfect never erring group in mind. 
Have fun. 
dave s 

• Like 1

All well stated , especially by Dave S.

Things happen, but all is now good, I hope everyone who got annoyed can let it go. Some things happen intentionally- that is hard to forgive and forget, other things (  especially on a machine that has buttons to press but is not mechanical to clatter and make a noise , like a manual typewriter - remember those?) one can be more forgiving and understand - instant isn't always good.

For all you do Steve and are responsible for , for this site, the club, the old car interest , all is now good. Let's move on everyone.

Walt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I have discussed this with Peter and will make sure that nothing like this happens again. We got a very lengthy apology from the person I banned.  it was heartfelt and based upon the stress in his life at the time it is more understandable.  Still no excuse but a reason.  We will be reinstating him.

I, for one, am very glad he will be reinstated. Every one deserves a second chance in life. I was not aware of the things that transpired until it was finished, but we all have good and bad days. Thank you for giving him a second chance.

Frank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He is already reinstated and has thanked us.  There was no equivocation with Peter and I about doing so immediately.  The person in question owned up to what he did in a very heartfelt and mature response to us, he DID deserve another chance.  We are happy is able to be back on the forum as he enjoys the fellowship of many of you.  That is one of the by-products of this forum that we have always wanted...people making friends and enjoying the hobby to

57 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

Two kinds of people in the world, ones who make mistakes and ones that do nothing.   I am a big fan of mistakes... especially if I can learn from them.

Steve, Thank You for all you do for the forum.

If that is the case, move over Bill Gates as I am now a genius!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Steve M and Peter G (et al) for all you do for us crazies out here! Having done cutting edge technologies for many years, as well as tech support, I am well aware of the complicated issues running these things.

I also am personally pleased that the 'person in question' is returning! I had traded a couple PMs with him, and enjoyed those exchanges. I suspected he was having some personal issues, although he didn't discuss them with me in any way.

All of us need friendly places where we can temporarily retreat from the stresses of the other parts of our lives. Antique automobiles are a wonderful place to do that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Steve.......I forgive you.......if you buy me lunch next time your down to visit.........the seafood bar at the Breakers has a lunch special 229.95 per person. After we are done, we can go to Pizza Hut.......because they only serve bait........oops.......sushi, so when you leave, your still hungry. 😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MochetVelo said:

Do you suppose that thread is still on the internet somewhere, like on Wayback Machine?

I think part of the first page had been cached by google, I looked at the wayback machine but it hadn't been archived there unfortunately.

Edited by AL1630 (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Wayne.........”crazies” I mean really.......please.......everyone here is normal, it’s the world that’s twisted! 

Henry David Thoreau said “In an unjust society the only place for a just man is prison.” In our world gone mad, 'normal' people are lazy, CHOOSE to be stupid (not a word I choose lightly!), believe all lies told to them by 'their' politicians, believe everything told by either the mainstream media or their preferred  fringe wacko group. Honesty is not something I can find much of anywhere except amongst the good people that seem to gravitate toward the antique automobile hobby! 'Normal' people today won't listen to an opposing view for even a few seconds. 

It has been that way much of my life, but has gotten exponentially worse the recent past two decades. (I recall many honest debates between Republicans and Democrats in the 1960s and '70s. Some in the ,80s and even '90s. Nothing like that has happened now in a long time!)

Since 'normal' is measured by what most people do or are? I would rather be crazy.

• Like 1

Sadly, with our software once someone is banned the material is gone from our archives, if we delete the material we can get it back but not after banning someone which happens most of the time with spammers.  

Ed, now that really is a special.  Since you know the price I am guessing you eat there every day.  I would not want to subject you to another boring meal si I will pass.  However, if you are here in June like you threaten, I just might spring for a decent meal at one of our finer establishments!  

5 minutes ago, AL1630 said:

I think part of the first page had been cached by google, I looked at the wayback machine but it hadn't been archived there unfortunately.

I always seem to have trouble with how google does things. As for a 'wayback machine"? The only thing I am aware of is Sherman and Peabody's (if I spelled that correctly from memory?).

If someone could resurrect even a good part of that thread? It could be a good start to get it going again. Just two days ago, I stumbled into an underslung photo while looking for something else online. I would love to share it here if the thread could be revived. Unless it was already there, but I didn't recognize the image.

I also am personally pleased that the 'person in question' is returning!

I am also glad he is back on the forum. I have met him in person and he is young, talented mechanic/machinist, enthusiastic about early automobiles and he owns a Haynes! He needs the knowledge that can only be found on this forum and this forum needs him. He has apologized and deserves another chance. Did I mention he has a Haynes?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I always seem to have trouble with how google does things. As for a 'wayback machine"? The only thing I am aware of is Sherman and Peabody's (if I spelled that correctly from memory?).

If someone could resurrect even a good part of that thread? It could be a good start to get it going again. Just two days ago, I stumbled into an underslung photo while looking for something else online. I would love to share it here if the thread could be revived. Unless it was already there, but I didn't recognize the image.

It's named after Sherman and Peabody's machine! Available here: archive.org

It's a cache of all sorts of websites, it's handy for finding deleted threads and things like that, if it could get to them in time.

10 minutes ago, AL1630 said:

It's named after Sherman and Peabody's machine! Available here: archive.org

It's a cache of all sorts of websites, it's handy for finding deleted threads and things like that, if it could get to them in time.

Thank you for that! I will have to check it out some evening when I can have more than a few minutes without interruptions.

On 2/15/2021 at 8:26 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

To all those who were affected by my actions I can only apologize.  I certainly had no intention whatsoever of deleting a great thread. 

The lesson that applies to all, regardless who they are, is do not take out your frustrations on your spouse, your employer, and especially, a public forum that needs to uphold a reputation.

Craig

The Breakers is the kind of place people go to when they want to be mistaken for someone important. 

Besides, the gold leaf used on the frescoes is only 16k, not 18k; falling standards.