J78x15 Tires NOW AVAILABLE!!

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

Just wanted to let everyone know that the project I've been involved in has come to fruition---the J78x15 tire is going to be reproduced!!<P>COKER Tire company is already advertising their "new" BF Goodrich J78x15 (ref. April 2001 Hemmings Motor News, page 2894). The tires will be available "during the second quarter of 2001".<P>Coker will be making these authentic bias-belted tires in both the DUAL STRIPE sidewall that is correct for 1970 & 1971, as well as the 7/8" white stripe that was used after 1971.<P>The DUAL STRIPE availability is significant, because, to date, NO ONE has made a repro tire with this sidewall. (The so-called "dual" stripe on the 900x15 Cadillac repro tires is a wide/narrow combo, not twin thin stripes like a 70 Buick.)<P>This is also the ONLY reproduction of the J78 size tire by anyone. This size was OE on Electra, Olds 98, Chrysler New Yorker and Town&Country, and several full size Plymouth/Dodge wagons. It was also optional on Wildcat, Centurion, LeSabre, and most full size Pontiacs of the era.<P>If you are even REMOTELY interested in these tires, I encourage you to call Coker to inquire about them. I tried hard to convince them that there was a market for them and now it's up to hobbyists/collectors like you and me to show that we are interested.<P>------------------<BR>Greg Cockerill<BR>BCA #36864<BR>1970 Electra convertible

Guest 70 Electra

Centurion,<BR>Thanks for the kind words. The nice folks at Coker informed me that the "engineering samples" of the new repro J78 are expected in a few weeks, and if all goes well, production should start by the end of the month. That means we can get a set in time for the Buick Nationals!!<P><P>------------------<BR>Greg Cockerill<BR>BCA #36864<BR>1970 Electra convertible

Greg, Your efforts are to be commended on this. I am sure that you as well as many others are awaiting a finished product. I will definately be on the phone with and inquiry. I again offer my thanks to you for your time energy and devotion not only to Buick but the old car hobby in general.

"Beauty" Greg! By "belted" does that mean that they are like the new steel belted radial tires with wide whitewalls for the 1950s cars, or are they the dual-ply that they had back then?<P>I'm very interested. Thanks for the leg-work on this!<P>Mark<P>------------------<BR>

I just answered my own question. Coker Tire stated today, that the J78x15 will be "bias-ply" meaning, not steel-belted; and that they may or may not use the dual white wall on it. Hopefully they will, and that info hasn't bled down to then sales department yet.<P><BR><P>------------------<BR>

Guest 70 Electra

The ad in the current Hemmings lists a 7/8" whitewall and a "dual stripe" as being the choices. I actually supplied Coker with patterns made off an original J78 dual stripe, so the darn thing should look 100% correct, if they don't screw it up! <P>As I understand it, the same basic tire mold is used (determines sidewall and tread design), and something like a tool insert is used to allow molding the different whitewall widths. This is why almost every tire they sell comes in a couple of different stripe widths.<P>From the beginning, I've been trying to understand how they proposed to do the "construction" of the repro J78 tire: bias ply, or bias-belted. I spoke directly to Corky Coker (Pres.) and he assured me the construction would be BELTED, just like the original---not bias ply. <P>It sounded like there wasn't really a choice---they are using ORIGINAL BFGoodrich molds that they'd located and I think this dicates the construction would HAVE to be "belted" like the original tires.<P>Those of you that are old enough to remember, will recall that the belted tire revolution was a big thing at the time (1968-70). Most of the auto makers said that they "retuned" their suspensions to take advantage of the new tire construction, but exactly what they did I don't know!<P>Glad to see that others are interested in this tire, too!!<P>------------------<BR>Greg Cockerill<BR>BCA #36864<BR>1970 Electra convertible