For Sale:1937 Packard Super Eight Coupe-Roadster ...partial restored

37PackardMan

On December 18 my long time friend, Paul TerHorst passed away. I am sure that many readers have known him or at least crossed paths with Paul at Hershey, Chickasaw or other meets.
The family as asked me to help publicize the availability of his unfinished Packard.
Some of you may have seen the car at Opus II in Warren, Ohio back in 2009.
Here is the information I have been provided.
My understanding is that the car in located North of Chicago.

1937 Packard Super Eight 1501 Convertible Coupe Roadster
Senior Packard, 8 cylinder, 320 engine
Convertible with rumble seat
Vehicle # 1019-251 / 134” wheelbase
Motor serial # 398-353
Speedometer reading: 29,522
Mechanical work is done, car runs
Regal Blue color, body is painted, DQE/DAL numbers available in file

Needs installation of hood, fenders, and rumble seat lid, and misc. parts; parts are primed
Same owner for 55 years
Extensive car history file
Price: $ 70,000.

Current state: (garage picture)

For more info please contact: terhorst.storage@gmail.com

0packard_2021.jpg

A 37 Super Eight Convertible Coupe is a desirable car.  37 seems to be THE year for the later Packards.   I'm assuming because of the juice brakes but 35/36 styling.

Unfinished projects are a very hard sell for lots of obvious reasons.   Would love to know what it ends up going for.   As a plus I like a color a lot.

Actually, the 37-39   Super Eight is virtually the same 320 engine that was the Standard Eight of the earlier years.  It is a 9 main bearing engine.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 37PackardMan said:

Actually, the 37-39   Super Eight is virtually the same 320 engine that was the Standard Eight of the earlier years.  It is a 9 main bearing engine.

Was there a standard eight in 1936?  Or was the 120 the next offering down the ladder?

Yes, there was a Standard Eight in '35-36 which were considered Seniors and on the same design as the Twelve. They had the same body shell, instrument cluster, etc as the Super Eights and Twelves.

In 1935 Packard delved into the lower price point to try to hang onto market share by bringing out the 120.

Then in 1937 they brought out the SIX.  The 120 and the Six are considered the Junior line.