Harrahs research books

J.T.Smienk

Harrah's research library still exists at the National Automobile Museum in Reno. They kindly sent me copies of the files on their Metz restoration (though it took six or seven months). Wouldn't they have these books? 

When Harrah's collection was still ongoing, the mechanics would ask the librarian for literature on the car they were restoring, but they were never allowed to touch the original materials. It was only given to them in photocopied form.

Phil

I thank everyone for their thoughtful comments, I know this is not a money maker and that was never my intent.  Being a local historian and a car buff I love this stuff and I have seen important documents disappear for ever because there was only one copy ever made.  I was hoping to see if there was enough interest to help defray some of the costs for my own hard copy.  Rather than respond to everyone individually I will do some further research and get some copies of what the research looks like and post them here some time in the future.  The owner, a good friend of mine has these books and is staying quite isolated due to the current pandemic, I am hoping to have access to them again in the upcoming months.  Thanks for your interest.

• Like 3

Interesting! I just happen to be reading a book on H.A.C. (see photo below). There is a whole chapter on the research that was done on each car. The restoration did not start until the research was done and everything about the car that could be known was collected together. Once the paper was complete Mr. Harrah was presented the report and plans were made on how the car would be restored. This sounds like it might be a collection of all those report. It would be a great help to anyone restoring on of these cars to read through them.

s-l500.jpeg

• Like 3