Jaeger clock

vette-kid

I'd like to hook up this clock but I'm not quite sure of this socket on the back.  The clock runs and lights fine of the other three leads.  I tried I bulbs in the socket thinking it was just an extra lead for a light, but it doesn't do anything??  What am I missing?  

IMG_20210210_154319897.jpg

certainly looks like a bulb socket, your lack of information about which vehicle the clock belongs to doesn't help, is there a place for it on the clock ?, you say it doesn't do anything, how can that be ?, when it's plain to see that if a bulb is installed and voltage is applied, the bulb would light.

1 hour ago, pontiac1953 said:

certainly looks like a bulb socket, your lack of information about which vehicle the clock belongs to doesn't help, is there a place for it on the clock ?, you say it doesn't do anything, how can that be ?, when it's plain to see that if a bulb is installed and voltage is applied, the bulb would light.

You would think that to be the case, but I can promise you it does not light a bulb.  That has been tested.  The clock itself is an aftermarket and not specific to a make or model but it's from 1945 or thereabouts.  It's going into a 36 plymouth.  

15 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

One half of an inline fuse?

Craig

I was thinking that, but the clock and internal light function just fine without this connected to anything.  The three other wires are confirmed power (one for clock and one for light) and ground (common ground).  So what would the fuse be used for?  These are all factory wires by the way.  It is a NOS clock that was never installed.

There is a swich of sorts in the body of that socket. It consists of a couple of contacts and 3 small balls. When you open the glove box door, the light should come on.

However they can corrode and become inoperative.

If you can get it apart and clean it, it will work

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

There is a swich of sorts in the body of that socket. It consists of a couple of contacts and 3 small balls. When you open the glove box door, the light should come on.

However they can corrode and become inoperative.

If you can get it apart and clean it, it will work

That is interesting!  I will look for this when I get a moment.  Im not sure I understand how the door would trigger the switch if thats the case.  

Nothing in the socket.  Looks like a standard socket to me.  Here is the back of it and all four wires.  The mystery socket is the one going into the case on the left.  It's somewhat academic at this point because I'm positive that out work with just the other three.  One ground, one constant hot and one switched (for the backlight, that will get wired into these instruments light switch).  I'm am still very curious though.

IMG_20210211_152752775.jpg

IMG_20210211_152714830.jpg

IMG_20210211_152858039.jpg

IMG_20210211_154013423.jpg

Edited by vette-kid (see edit history)

22 hours ago, vette-kid said:

I was thinking that, but the clock and internal light function just fine without this connected to anything.  The three other wires are confirmed power (one for clock and one for light) and ground (common ground).  So what would the fuse be used for?  These are all factory wires by the way.  It is a NOS clock that was never installed.

Okay, I was not aware it mounted in a glove box door.  As already stated, it must be a second socket to illuminate the glove compartment.

Craig

I suppose it mounts wherever you want it.  But it's either a bad connection somewhere I can't see, or I'm missing something altogether, because there is no voltage at that socket no matter what I do.

Also, I misspoke earlier.  The socket connects to the same post as the hot wire, the other socket there is the clock internal light.  That means that wine it appears to share the post, it must be isolated somehow or the wire is completely broken inside (doubtful), because the clock works and still no voltage at the socket.

Second socket is likely a glove box light.  It may be switched by a separate switch on the glove box door that makes the ground circuit for the mystery light which answers why the mystery light is wired directly to the feed wire.

12 hours ago, vette-kid said:

I suppose it mounts wherever you want it.  But it's either a bad connection somewhere I can't see, or I'm missing something altogether, because there is no voltage at that socket no matter what I do.

Also, I misspoke earlier.  The socket connects to the same post as the hot wire, the other socket there is the clock internal light.  That means that wine it appears to share the post, it must be isolated somehow or the wire is completely broken inside (doubtful), because the clock works and still no voltage at the socket.

My 'dumb' thought is to see if there is voltage when you lay the clock face down, the position it would be in with the glove compartment door open.  Perhaps there's a mercury switch hidden somewhere that closes contact when its face down.

Craig

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

My 'dumb' thought is to see if there is voltage when you lay the clock face down, the position it would be in with the glove compartment door open.  Perhaps there's a mercury switch hidden somewhere that closes contact when its face down.

Craig

I'll give that a try!  That would be pretty slick, simple as it may be.

44 minutes ago, TerryB said:

The metal socket of the light would have to be grounded to get the light to work.  It seems like only a power source wire is going to the socket which is not enough to make the light turn on.

Yup.  I tried grounding the socket as well. No go.  

The socket wire dues run through what looks like a capacitor of some sort.  I'll look at t that more later and see if there is any information on it.  The wire insulation is worn a little just before that and the is no voltage either side of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dalef62 said:

Maybe that capacitor is a mercury switch and once mounted when the glove box door opens it sends power to the socket?

Possible.  But either it's damaged or I'm not grounding the socket good enough because I still don't get any voltage to it.  

It looks like the capacitor has wires coming out both ends in which case it may be a switch instead. You should be able to lake a multimeter and see where the wire from the socket goes to. 

It may of course just be a filter capacitor to take the clock "clicke" out of the radio. I take it the light socket plugged in the back has it's own wire. 

What is the clock out of? looks much like the one in my 47 Chev.

My understanding of this particular clock, is that it isn't out of anything.  It's a general use auto clock sold as an aftermarket add on to whatever car you want to put it in.  The warranty expired in 47, so it may be just like what's on your Chevy.  Although I though the Chevy cave with a clock?