Wiper sweep, vacuum vs electric aftermarket, 55 Special

TexasJohn55

If you are just swapping the motor for electric, then you are limited to what the cables and pulleys under the dash will do.  Maybe more of a sweep between outer limit and where they would park at the bottom is about all you can do. They worked fine for the slower driving of the day.  I've been driving them for 35 years, and I guess I got used to them

Perhaps some sort of auxilary, continuous-duty vacuum pump might be adapted rather than the electrification project?  Or a dua;-diaphram fuel pump which feeds a check-valved vacuum reservoir, which then attaches to the wiper motor?

The kit from Julianos, who makes it?  Years ago, one of our late chapter members put a Newport Engineering kit on his '58 Century and was very pleased with how it installed and operated.  No mention of "sweep", though.

NTX5467

On 2/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, Dennis Hagen said:

I put electric on my 56 and not real satisfied with the sweep, think it should be more, but don’t know what the vacuum sweep was. Bought kit from Julianos. Put same kit on my 51 and is ok. Have not driven either in the rain.

I did not find the kit on Julianos.  Perhaps discontinued?

Ben