Thinking About Buying a 1966 Special Sedan - Seeking Advice on What to Look For

Skylark4367

A few years ago, I was looking for a 1961 Skylark coupe and posted on this forum asking what to look for when inspecting one.  I received very helpful and accurate responses.  I bought a 1962 Skylark convertible instead, but the responses I received were still valid, especially the part about the Dual-Path transmission.  I'm enjoying owning that car and am thinking about getting another '60s Buick Special/Skylark. 

I spotted a 1966 Special four-door sedan for sale and am curious about what to watch out for when inspecting and buying one of these cars.  The pictures on facebook marketplace look nice, but I know pictures can be deceiving.  The car in question has the 300 V8, automatic transmission and power steering.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Rust is the first thing to look for. If there is rust in the trunk, check carefully around the rear window which is likely where the water is coming from. GM cars of this era are notorious for this. The 300 V8 is pretty much bullet proof as is the 300 SP trans. If the timing chain and gears haven’t been changed, plan on doing that as the cam gear had a phoenelic coating which breaks down over the years. They are great cars. The 4 door will be harder to find 4 door specific parts than it’s 2 door cousin. I like 4 doors.

• Haha 1

Rear axle outer bearings. Expect to change them and drive shaft universals too. Look for fuel tank leaks and corroded electrical grounds everywhere there is one. These will be manifested in inconsistent light brightness or signal light malfunction and inconsistent fuel gauge readings when turning the headlights on.