Installing a ‘55 nailhead in a ‘52 Special

Other than the motor mounts, is there much difficulty in putting the nailhead in the ‘52 Special? I’m under the impression that one can use the stock standard transmission from the ‘52. Which bell house should one use? The ‘52 or ‘55. Also, will any nailhead from ‘55 fit? Other tips?

On 2/9/2021 at 6:38 PM, Rusty Heaps said:

Other than the motor mounts, is there much difficulty in putting the nailhead in the ‘52 Special? I’m under the impression that one can use the stock standard transmission from the ‘52. Which bell house should one use? The ‘52 or ‘55. Also, will any nailhead from ‘55 fit? Other tips?

The one that fits the engine?

Ben

The least you will need is the nailhead of course, nailhead bellhousing, clutch assembly, flywheel and all the linkage to adapt.  The frame rails on the 52 may be narrower which will require custom made headers, a mini starter, and maybe relocation of the steering box.  The 52 transmission may work, but is too light for all but the 264 nailhead.

Dollar for dollar you will be way ahead spending your money on the original engine and drivetrain. Have you driven a really good running 248 or 263? They are pretty good cars.

Or sell the '52, put that money with the swap money + the contingency budget, and buy a V8 car.

Bernie

• Like 1
20 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Dollar for dollar you will be way ahead spending your money on the original engine and drivetrain. Have you driven a really good running 248 or 263? They are pretty good cars.

Or sell the '52, put that money with the swap money + the contingency budget, and buy a V8 car.

Bernie

I have a donor car that has the 263, but I am in a quandary about pulling the engine and transmission from a mostly complete car, even if it is a bit rusty. I do want to drive a straight eight car. I’ve never had the experience. That’s why I bought the ‘52 in the first place. I’ve driven several V8 vehicles over the years. The 1952 Special coupe is less common than the 1953 Special  2dr sedan. 

Edited by Rusty Heaps (see edit history)