WTB: 1938 Buick coupe convertible special 40 Rear Differential

EdgarCalaveras

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. The most likely source for the differential you are seeking is Dave Tacheny. You can best reach him by calling him at 763-427-3460 between 4 and 7 pm Central. You should also check out the 36-38 Buick Club. As an owner of a 1938 Buick membership would be helpful to you. You can find out about the club at: http://www.3638buickclub.org/ If you contact me through a private message here, or through the contact the webmaster link on the 36-38 Buick Club website, I will be happy to send you a .pdf copy of a recent club newsletter.  

19 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Friend of mine has one for sale near Dallas, Texas, out of a 1940 Special, so I believe they would be the same. Would help if you tell where you are located, as shipping will be expensive.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

I am located in Massachusetts could you email your friends contact info please? 

On 2/10/2021 at 9:06 AM, EdgarCalaveras said:

Looking to buy the ORIGINAL rear differential for a 1938 Buick coupe convertible special 40. If you have one please email me at bostontattoo@aol.com so we can do business.

If you can get a diff from a series 60 Century will have a higher/faster ratio

From reading the old Torque Tube mag's 1940 is not a drop in/bolt up to 1938 (or 1939). 

The old magazines have articles on machining, cutting & welding later diff's-drive shaft/torque tube to fit, so to get a higher ratio.

1940 and later have a flanged joint of diff to torque tube. 1939 and older are riveted.  Flanged is better

edit

Not the same topic but has info on later diff's

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/237129-1938-buick-special-rear-axle-ratios-upgrades/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)