Nevada Looking To Close Classic Car Loophole

Fortunately here in Ohio we have a 25 year rule for historical plates. I bought my first car as a future collector car in 1980, a 66 Chevy Impala convertible with 25000 miles. It now has 50000 and still all original except for tires, battery and a few other wear items. It allowed me to get in the hobby very inexpensively and still have a nice car. I got a 1996 Buick Roadmaster a few years ago for same reason and I use it to tow my brass cars and local AACA tours on hot day when the boss wants A/C. 

On 2/8/2021 at 6:13 PM, GregLaR said:

I'm OK with some of their thinking. Just because a car is 20 years old doesn't mean it should automatically qualify for any special classic consideration (we're talking 2001 model year here). 

Heck, as far as I'm concerned nothing from the 1980's or newer should qualify as anything but "used cars".

Nothing is more incongruous in a field of 1920's  to 50's (even 60's) cars as someone's 1992 Plymouth Sebring parked there like a usurper pretending nobody notices it's completely misplaced.

Us 20-35 year old guys grew up wanting the cool new 80's/90's cars as kids, and now 15-20 years later we're buying them and showing them now that we have more disposable income.  I was born in 1987 and wanted a Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest as a kid after seeing a neighbor's red widebody '88 Conquest TSi.  I finally found and bought one about six years ago. I got dirty looks from old guys when I took it to local car shows (with no cut-off date) and it was even questioned "is this allowed in" as they waved in brand new Corvettes (unquestioned of course, because Corvette). 

It's exactly the same as the baby boomer generation buying what they thought was cool as a kid, or buying and showing the cars they had back in high school.  My dad is 69 years old and has owned his own classic car related buisiness since the mid 70's.  He's just new "getting" the collectibility of 80's/90's cars.  

Kicking out newer collectible cars will only kill the clubs associated with the shows that want to limit attendance to pre-80's.  Younger car enthusiasts (as a whole) don't care anything about cars old enough to have a carburetor.  Excluding them from bringing their 80's/90's car will only further divide the hobby and lessen interest in older cars.   I get the sentiment; I'm 33 and don't care anything about cars newer than the mid 90's myself, but I also get why they shouldn't be excluded from a general car show *if* you want the club that is hosting the show to survive well into the future.   A rolling cut off date fixes the issue of someone bringing cars straight off the showroom floor to a "classic car show" while allowing the younger guys entrance with the cars they grew up with. 

A cut off of '80 and earlier would alienate a very large group of enthusiast and ensure a steady decline in club members.  Look at the very rapid growth of Radwood and their events; they cater only to 80's and 90's cars.  Maybe they've become so popular since traditional shows frown at more modern cars? 

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/07/12/radwood-returned-with-its-first-show-in-2021-and-we-came-back-with-photos

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theastronaut said:

Younger car enthusiasts (as a whole) don't care anything about cars old enough to have a carburetor. 

What a horrible thought!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

And I don't care anything about those that don't!! ;)

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

I didn't buy a car new enough to have fuel injection until I bought the Conquest 6-7 years ago, and I still prefer carb'd cars. 

My daily is an '89 Festiva that has Yamaha RX1 sidedraft carbs, I have an '88 Festiva with a Miata 1.6 swapped in that has dual sidedraft Dellortos in place of the factory efi, I have my granddad's '64 C10 that has a two barrel, my '64 VW had dual downdraft Dellorto carbs, and most of my past daily drivers have had carbs...  but none of my friends know anything about carbs.  

asyXqsVl.jpg

oIO39p6l.jpg

RrPRZzHl.jpg

DKOZ5rIl.jpg

UWS9PAXl.jpg

xQvdlJpl.jpg

zlynZV9l.jpg

• Like 1