1963 - Adjusting the fit of the center console storage compartment lid?

I know all about the misaligned glove box door in the instrument panel, but is there a way to adjust the lid to the small storage compartment on the center console? Mine is super tight at the front edge, just behind the shifter plate. Is the trick to squeeze the mounting bracket a bit?

Edited by JanZverina
Typo in topic line. (see edit history)
  • JanZverina changed the title to 1963 - Adjusting the fit of the center console storage compartment lid?

Jan, I had to do exactly that and the ashtray door which was binding with the panel above it. Both issues were because of de-formed components. The latter with the panel at the center (Rear Defrost switch) wowed-inwards.

For the compartment between the seats, it's the hinge. I know this because I had a spare Lid that did the same. Close comparison between the 2 sets of hinges showed a difference. Trying the spare hinge would require removing the console.

I wish I caught it earlier when the console was out. The lid was held on with 1 screw and kind of closed OK, thought a screw would fix it more. However, the hole was stripped. Both holes were tapped-out for beefier #10 matching screws and now the lid was catching the shifter panel no matter how I adjusted it. I dreaded having to remove the console. However, I was able to bend the hinge in-place (Lid attached if I remember correctly).

The spare lid had good holes but the black leatherette did not clean-up as nice.

Night & Day improvement with hinge actuation!

Not enough on my '63 Riv. After thinking about it, the obvious solution was to simply elongate the bracket holes with a small drill bit so I could move the console storage lid aft just a little. Problem solved. Thanks for all your responses - this forum is super helpful in every way!

• Thanks 1