007 movie car?

Xander Wildeisen

Looks like a pretty honest car, not sure I would put it in the muscle car category though? No idea on the pricing, maybe a bit more than I would pay, but then again I dont remember the last time I saw one for sale.

Not sure what the title of the thread is supposed to mean, but 'Live and Let Die', used several Hornets as police cars, there was also a scene with an AMC dealer and maybe a few Hornets on the showroom floor. And a Matador that converted to an airplane.

53 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

not sure I would put it in the muscle car category though?

Apparently to people who weren't alive in the 1960s, any American car from 64-72(ish) with a V8 is a "musclecar". I think this is another case of Barrett Jackson disease.

• Like 1

Was a few Bond Films in the '70s (Live and Let Die, Man with the Golden Gun) that featured AMC products - latter had the Astro Spiral - and usually with Sheriff John W. Pepper. First had the Cadillac Eldorado referred to as a "pimpmobile". Sign said "Trespassers will be eaten".

41 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Could not remember a Hornet in the 007 movies. I guess I need to watch them again.

Start with The Man with the Golden Gun.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/the-greatest-car-stunt-of-all-time-the-astro-spiral/

• Like 1

College roomie bought a new Hornet circa that vintage - stripped down gray 6-cyinder, only option was automatic because he didn't know how to drive a stick.  It even had vacuum wipers standard.  Having experienced those in a Model A, I advised him against them - he soon took the car back to the dealer to have the optional electrics installed.  😁

2 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

College roomie bought a new Hornet circa that vintage - stripped down gray 6-cyinder, only option was automatic because he didn't know how to drive a stick.  It even had vacuum wipers standard.  Having experienced those in a Model A, I advised him against them - he soon took the car back to the dealer to have the optional electrics installed.  😁

Wow, I didn't believe it, but apparently AMC used vacuum wipers through the 1971 model year. That's gotta be a trivia question waiting to happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Wow, I didn't believe it, but apparently AMC used vacuum wipers through the 1971 model year. That's gotta be a trivia question waiting to happen.

Yep, his was a little older than the OP car - 69, IIRC.

I am embarrassed (cant you all see my red face!), I stand corrected my first post def. should have been 'Man with the Golden Gun'.

Live and Let Die was released just before that one. Those 2 are my favorite Bond films, I remember as a young kid seeing them in the movie theatre. As a side note the Brits covert HQ is on the QEII, sitting half capsized in the  harbor at Hong Kong ( i think). They make a comment on real estate prices, lol. As a young child I was spending some time in S FLA and the QEII was at the port in Lauderdale maybe. It was kind of a big deal and they were offering tours. I remember going there with my mother and grandmother. It was the voyage after that it sank in China.

I think Les Dunham of New Jersey built the 'pimp mobile' that was in Live and Let Die.  I read at one time he was having Caddies delivered right to his shop for conversions. I started a thread a long time ago here to see if any were still around that fell to crickets. Great piece of Americana now. He was to the 'custom' world what Yenko was to hot rodders.

I did see one El Dorado at a show in Media PA about 10 yrs ago, no idea if it was a Dunham.

“ Sit And Let Die “ was a little known

007 Franchise Film shor entirely on

location ....

In Phoenix, Arizona

In July

In Midday

With The Windows Rolled Up

With No AC

It was a dismal failure with test audiences and thus the movie 

never saw the Silver Screen  😞

Jim

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2021 at 3:13 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

Could not remember a Hornet in the 007 movies. I guess I need to watch them again.

Unlike the Aston Martin DB5 in Goldfinger, and the 'two-off' Toyota 2000GT spider convertibles in You Only Live Twice, or the Lotus Esprit 'submarine' in 'The Spy Who Loved Me', there was nothing special about the AMC Hornet as used in Live and Let Die.  It was a bog-standard off the lot car.  Therefore, there was no reason for Corgi, Matchbox, Bandai, or Mattel Hot Wheels to make scale models of it.  As well, AMC never hyped the car in its advertising of the day despite move provenance, which is probably why it was easily forgotten.

Craig 

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:13 AM, TAKerry said:

As a side note the Brits covert HQ is on the QEII, sitting half capsized in the  harbor at Hong Kong ( i think). They make a comment on real estate prices, lol. As a young child I was spending some time in S FLA and the QEII was at the port in Lauderdale maybe. It was kind of a big deal and they were offering tours. I remember going there with my mother and grandmother. It was the voyage after that it sank in China.

I believe it was the original Queen Elizabeth—not the QEII:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Elizabeth

The QEII is still very much with us, but now is a floating hotel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_2

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 8E45E said:

If it was a Hornet, it won't be any earlier than a 1970.  

Craig

OK, guess I didn't recall correctly - my geezer memory from 50 years ago ain't that good.  😁  I'm no AMC expert - just went by my college timeframe, but I do recall it was a Hornet with vacuum wipers.  From what I've learned since posting, that would make it a 70 or 71 - probably a 70, again based on the college timeframe.  Roomie may have bought it in 69.

Queen Mary, I toured that one as well. Also the spruce goose but I think that has since been moved. I was only 5 or 6 when I was on the Queen Elizabeth at Port Everglades, I had no idea it was intended as a tourist trap. I had always thought it was on a trip and lay over. Interesting story.

Howard didn't like the term "Spruce Goose". Although just about every body thinks that is what it is called.

It is now parked just a few miles from me at the Evergreen Air and Space museum.

I always try to refer to is as the "HK-1 or the H-4 Flying Boat" out of respect to its builder.

I got that from my dad as he was a Navy pilot and suggested that he didn't much care for its slanged name either.

Hughes had a partner early on hence the change in its designation.

I recall when they brought it up the Willamette River disassembled and on barges some years ago.

There was some waiting for the river to be at a certain level for navigation.

I was able to figure the day and took a few friends for an early foggy morning boat ride.

An impressive site as it appeared out of the fog on a narrow part of the river.

I have some snap shots of that day somewhere. (remember snap shots?).

Edit: sorry to go off topic from 007, but I guess I just need to set things straight about the HK-1 (Hughes Kaiser) H-4 (Hughes) Flying Boat when I see it referred to incorrectly..

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, padgett said:

Well I remember it being called the "Hercules"  but most people think of the C-130 by that name & agree it was mainly birch and not spruce. Now we are getting into fanatic realm.

Wow, kudos for knowing that! No one remembers that the official name of the Spruce Goose was Hercules.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:00 AM, TerryB said:

Actually Johnny Lightning did the AMC as part of its 007 car sets.  They show up on eBay. Scale is 1/64.

I must have missed that!  Probably because it didn't have an ejector seat, pop-up shield and rotating number plates like the Corgi Aston Martin DB5 did!!

Craig