2021 Franklin TREK Postponment

Bob Cornman

After discussion with officials of Cazenovia College and a review of New York State and CDC guide lines, it is the sad duty of the 2021 Trek committee to recommend the postponement of the annual Trek again this year.  The recommendation was presented to and accepted by the Franklin Club board of directors at the February board meeting on February 6. This decision was not made lightly but the college cannot give any assurances until they receive word from the state of NY and there is no idea when or if this might occur.   The problems come with large group gatherings and the Trek falls under this category.

One person testing positive could make many attendees becoming residents of Cazenovia for some time to come.  The challenge of feeding a large group is unknown.  As a matter of fact, there are too many unknowns at this time to proceed.  Trek planning takes many months and while we shall all miss the fun, fellowship and Franklins, it just cannot happen in 2021.  Let’s look forward to 2022.  With 2 years of planning, you will not want to miss Trek 2022.

Bob & Millie Amon for the Amon/White Trek committee

• Like 3

I'm split about this - of course it's sad that there won't be a Trek again this year, but on my upside, it gives me longer to get one or both of my Franklins running, including ready to drive it from Michigan to the Trek in 2022 now.

Roger

• Like 4

A wise decision, not a happy one, but necessary. Like the AACA Hershey event in October, a lot of factors have a say in what takes place, the State of NY , the College, concerns of if there is a health issue - who would shoulder the responsibility ?  I hope that for the 2022 trek that the committee can discuss putting the trek back to where it had been for decades so far as the date in August , there seems to possibly be enough time now to make a strong point for this??  Before the club started having the trek at the college , the college had NO SUMMER ACTIVITIES, it was shut down. The trek committee ( Al McCarthy) gave the college the idea and opportunity to rent out the facility to host events and receive the Revenue $$ for those. Two former trek chairman are still alive that were there from the onset of the trek being at the college and were in on the discussions as to when the club would like to have the trek. Coinciding with the Madison-Bouckville antiques show was a huge plus for attending the trek as an extra incentive to do so.

• Like 4

I would think things would be well in hand by 2022 - - 2021 just may prove problematic for any large event and a shame to see something mid year not happen, but realistically things look more probable for fall events (which Cazenovia is just starting fall about Trek time in August, but ....).