57 Roadmaster 75 Coupe!

Smartin

I have absolutely no self control when it comes to cars.  It doesn't help when friends dangle carrots in your face like this, either🤣  As a result, the 62 is going to have to go.  I wasn't really in love with it, anyway.  I just have a few things I want to do with it before it gets listed.

Anyway, this is a basket case project.  Thankfully, it is a rust free body and most of the chrome is done.  It has been painted a pearl white already...but since it was painted, it's been knocked around in storage and moving.  So, I am looking for suggestions on FACTORY 57 color schemes.  Blank slate here...even with the interior.  It was originally all Biscay Blue....which I just don't see that happening. 

Lots of missing parts, but the deal came with a Super coupe parts car.  The crappy part is, that it's in MN...so I'm still working on a plan that will get both cars home.

20210128_134140.jpg

20210128_115835.jpg

• Like 6

There are HUNDREDS of photos the seller sent to me.  Very well documented and it's obvious he took his time making sure every part was sorted.  There is a bunch more chrome than what I posted.  The whole rear bumper is there and all rechromed.  Under side of the car is nice, just dirty.

Pretty much anything that I don't have now, the Super parts car will provide, or I will twist someone's arm to cough up some good pieces for me😀🤣😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Now 3 threads on 1957 75R restorations going!  These are too cool and rare to be laid to waste.  I can't wait to see what colors you go with.  I've dreamed many times about being around when these cars were new and having the means to order one, and what colors I'd choose.  How exciting!

• Like 4

One more thought for you, Adam.  The Roadmaster 75 was a mid-year offering, and it seemed that the high-line cars at General Motors were moving to more conservative color schemes, as evidenced by the '58's.  While it's hard to resist the idea of two-toning at the sweepspear, I'll admit that the single color cars -- or the larger cars with the color break at the roof instead -- come across with a more formal appearance.  This two-tone green color scheme appealed to me when this car was offered awhile back.  Looks like Mint Green over Belmont Green:

garnet-5.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Garnet/Black combo is at the top of my mist right now...or just all black.  I have to get the car here to decide if it's worthy of the black.  I am hoping to just fix the small chips and scratches, then prime, seal, and paint.  I anticipate having to block the entire car before I prime, though.  So it will probably be a moot point.

I also have thought about the mid year separation line at the C pillars.  Probably not going to go that direction, though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smartin said:

I think I have settled on Garnet Red over Black.  Just need to decide if it gets white/black or white/copper interior.  Probably going to lean to copper.  That is the exact color combo of the one Brian posted first.

Think:  Black over Garnet Red.  I cannot find any examples, but cannot forget the one i saw in 1992 at the Kansas national meet...a convertible restored by Art Wright.

• Like 1

This pic is from the October-1992 BUGLE covering the BCA Nationals in Overland Park-Kansas. I was there and I want to say that the middle color was a bronze-tone (non-original ? as the picture shows) and not Garnet Red. It was judged a 2nd place award (before the Gold, Silver and Bronze awards) and received the Buick Motor Division's special award "selected because it best expresses Buick's theme of Premium American Motor Car."  Owners were listed as Art Wright out of Chandler-Arizona and Mike Kamen from Simi Valley, California. 

1-Scan-001.jpg.d20f189a0092f8ae44be31fe4cc84323.jpg

Who knows, maybe the non-original color knocked off the points to receive a 1st place award. Can anyone verify the middle color?

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 3

On 2/18/2021 at 3:25 PM, 1953mack said:

This pic is from the October-1992 BUGLE covering the BCA Nationals in Overland Park-Kansas. I was there and I want to say that the middle color was a bronze-tone (non-original ? as the picture shows) and not Garnet Red. It was judged a 2nd place award (before the Gold, Silver and Bronze awards) and received the Buick Motor Division's special award "selected because it best expresses Buick's theme of Premium American Motor Car."  Owners were listed as Art Wright out of Chandler-Arizona and Mike Kamen from Simi Valley, California. 

1-Scan-001.jpg.d20f189a0092f8ae44be31fe4cc84323.jpg

Who knows, maybe the non-original color knocked off the points to receive a 1st place award. Can anyone verify the middle color?

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

That photo takes me back.  The car was shown as  Garnet Red and was well displayed.  The car had deducts for being shown with the top half up and with wire wheels.  Other than that, the car, to my estimation, was restored to as close to original  as could be.  Maybe even better.  Our Caballero is shown next to it.  That was me just next to the umbrella in this photo.

This is the same car.  Does seem to have a brownish hue compared to the newer photos.

image.png.310951ab6abff40cbee7cc58637509d0.png

Dan Hooker

BCA #18632

Edited by Caballero2
Added top down photo with comment. (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think the coupe Centurion posted earlier in the thread is the best example, since it is exactly what his would look like.  However, having seen that car in person, I'll say it was a 10-15 footer and had too many issues or I would have probably bought it.  I think when @Smartin is done, his will present well from much closer up.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lancemb said:

I think the coupe Centurion posted earlier in the thread is the best example, since it is exactly what his would look like.  However, having seen that car in person, I'll say it was a 10-15 footer and had too many issues or I would have probably bought it.  I think when @Smartin is done, his will present well from much closer up.

Here's another image of that car, this time in profile.  Too bad the photo is rather dark, but it gives a good idea of the appearance.  I wish that the windows had been lowered for the photo.

another.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)
  • Like 1