For Sale: 1961 Mercury Monterey -"original 2 owner CA car"- Simi Valley, CA - Not Mine - Reduced - 2/27 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1961 Mercury Monterey 4-Door Hardtop in Simi Valley, CA  -  $10,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 2/20, Seller reduced price to $9,500

On 2/24, Seller reduced price to $8,500

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/455044822190603/1961-Mercury-Monterey

Seller's Description:

1961 Mercury Monterey 4-Door Hardtop

• Very good condition
  • Driven 122,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Beige · Interior color: Red

1961 Mercury Monterey – original California car, second owner, all books, manual, original brochure and sales invoice available with the car. 122k original miles. All original parts. A timeless classic. Looks and drives great. Ideal for cruising those back roads. The interior was professionally restored to the original ivory and red theme and looks marvelous. Still has the original engine block which starts right up and roars like a mountain lion. Paint job looks great. Must see to appreciate. An ideal opportunity to turn it into a custom or keep it as an original classic. A steal at $10,000 firm.

image.thumb.png.6ad01e61d00d5f086e5d706c32bc1ed5.png

image.thumb.png.429299ad56b3fb41a8d2778f09fa8eca.png

image.thumb.png.4d84d26d04e973af56458faaac0daa32.png

image.thumb.png.a4529417311ac36c605c09e1800d74d3.png

image.thumb.png.672f0aa0dc616817aec05a352dc91baf.png

image.thumb.png.cdb3c9e7f3035685b917df095a175034.png

image.thumb.png.ef53d582bed6a4d50f0707381f0f9e1f.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

I always think to myself:

If a seller has to tell you the price is "only" 

$10,000, or that it's a "steal," it really isn't.

If the price truly was a bargain, car fans

would know.  He wouldn't have to announce it!

• Like 4
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1961 Mercury Monterey -"original CA car, second owner"- Simi Valley, CA - Not Mine - 2/20 Reduced

Is it worth the asking price (9500 as of right now)? I don't know. I like these cars...I have one - a four door sedan - and I certainly wouldn't pay 9500 for this four door. But that doesn't mean someone else out there won't. If its California origins translates to absolutely no rust, that's a plus. However, it's not a good thing to say "$10000 firm"...then go down on the price. It'll be interesting to see what happens with this one. 

• Like 1

BTW, I think this is a hardtop, not a sedan like the post states. As best as I can tell, the four door hardtops had the little chrome trimmed rear side window braces just in front of the C pillar (as with the car for sale), and the sedans didn't need them, as the side windows were framed. Might've been to keep the windows from rattling...I really can't say for sure, though. Here's an interior pic of my sedan's rear side window:

IMG_0449.JPG

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, JamesR said:

BTW, I think this is a hardtop, not a sedan like the post states. As best as I can tell, the four door hardtops had the little chrome trimmed rear side window braces just in front of the C pillar (as with the car for sale), and the sedans didn't need them, as the side windows were framed. Might've been to keep the windows from rattling...I really can't say for sure, though. Here's an interior pic of my sedan's rear side window:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, James. Correction made.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, JamesR said:

the little chrome trimmed rear side window braces just in front of the C pillar

These were used on Ford 4 door hardtops 1957 to 1964. (and Mercs based on the Ford body) 

They are necessary to cover up the fact that the hardtop window has to be shaped differently from the sedan. A hardtop glass has to extend farther forward to meet the front glass.

If the door sheet metal is the same (Ht & Sd) then then the Ht glass has to go back slightly and rotate slightly to be fully hidden within the door when down. The lower rear corner of the Ht glass is effectively 'cutoff' so that it will fit. The little triangle hides this change. AND adds an interesting styling focal point and visual interest. 

Getting a huge piece of glass to fully retract into the rear door on a four door hardtop was quite an engineering feat. Fascinating to see how the various automakers accomplished it. 

• Thanks 3
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1961 Mercury Monterey -"original CA car, second owner"- Simi Valley, CA - Not Mine - 2/24 & 2/20 Reduced
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1961 Mercury Monterey -"original 2 owner CA car"- Simi Valley, CA - Not Mine - 2/24 Reduced - 2/27 SOLD!
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1961 Mercury Monterey -"original 2 owner CA car"- Simi Valley, CA - Not Mine - Reduced - 2/27 SOLD!