Sorry, I realized that I put my question in the Gran Sport Forum vs this one.   I know I have seen further discussion about this elsewhere but searched and can't find the previous post. Are there other true indicators other than the Engine Code to confirm whether a Riviera is a true GS.  I read the article from the Riview that discussed the Gran Sport option and looked at other posts and that seems to be the best way.  I'm looking at a 67 Riviera GS that has the GS emblems, star wars air cleaner, etc. but know anyone can put those on.  Want to make sure I ask the right questions.  I've attached some pics.  Thanks!

1967 Buick Riviera

1967 Buick Riviera

1967 Buick Riviera

1967 Buick Riviera

1967 Buick Riviera

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

Heavy duty suspension with positraction was included in the package.  The panel below the glove box is wrong.  It should say “GS” after Riviera, not “By Buick.”

Pat,  I couldn't tell in the Riview article whether it was saying that there was no interior GS badging on a 67 or only starting in 68.  Thanks!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

Heavy duty suspension with positraction was included in the package.  The panel below the glove box is wrong.  It should say “GS” after Riviera, not “By Buick.”

Hi Pat,

I dont think the `67 GS had GS badging under the glovebox.

Tom

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Pat,

I dont think the `67 GS had GS badging under the glovebox.

Tom

I used the sales brochure for reference but of course things change sometimes before production starts as we all know.

If you go to the ROAs website, under the "How to ID a Gran Sport" tab, you can find the items that do describe a Gran Sport and what was missing from the years starting in 66.  I read 'no interior identification' but when the author moves from the 66 year, things become a little less clear.  There's a link to the site in my signature block. Check it out and see how this car compares to the descriptions. One thing that stands out is that the name Gran Sport has been dropped in favor of GS.

24 minutes ago, RivNut said:

If you go to the ROAs website, under the "How to ID a Gran Sport" tab, you can find the items that do describe a Gran Sport and what was missing from the years starting in 66.  I read 'no interior identification' but when the author moves from the 66 year, things become a little less clear.  There's a link to the site in my signature block. Check it out and see how this car compares to the descriptions. One thing that stands out is that the name Gran Sport has been dropped in favor of GS.

Thanks Ed.  I had read the article and you are correct that it becomes a bit cloudy.  I'm going to try and get an id on the engine code as well as the axle to determine whether it is the 3.42.  Since it has the air cleaner and exterior badging not sure what else to look for.

They wouldn't happen to have any original paperwork?  I.E. original order form, Monroni report(window sticker), build sheet?  It's not full proof, considering the fraud that is out there, but it is your best bet.  Good luck.

The engine codes for all 1967s is the regardless of whether the car is a GS or not. There was the "Star Wars" air cleaner aesthetic difference, but no power differences. The 3.42 posi will be one indicator, but posi rear ends were also a stand alone option. Probably a pretty easy car to clone should one be so inclined. 

Kind of funny that the first Star Wars movie didn't come out until 10 years later. 

From the ROA website - ID a GranSport:

In 1966 the words "Riviera GS" appeared on the wood trim attached to the glove box door. The letters are in a block style like those used on the fenders. Despite what some dealer brochures listed this was the last year that the GS marking appeared in the interior.

Pretty clear, that the 67 GS should not have Riviera GS on the glove box door.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.  I've reached out to see if there is any more documentation and then hopefully will go look at it as well this week.  I think it's a very nice car that is a maybe a bit over priced ($24-$25K) if it is a true GS and very overpriced if it is not.  Obviously not a ton of GS's around and it LOOKS to be in good shape.  Thanks again.

PY code with X in a circle on the bottom left axle tube 2-4" over from Diff housing. I've seen that car before, I'll do some digging through my files and see if I have any notes. the side marker lights added on make it unique. Its a sharp looking car thats for sure

Send me a pic of Fisher tag and VIN

The engine stamps will tell you if its the original engine but as stated no difference GS or Non GS 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, psychostang said:

In 1966 the words "Riviera GS" appeared on the wood trim attached to the glove box door. The letters are in a block style like those used on the fenders. Despite what some dealer brochures listed this was the last year that the GS marking appeared in the interior.

The brochures lied about this for a couple of years—the sixties equivalent of a "cut and paste" mistake.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

I used the sales brochure for reference but of course things change sometimes before production starts as we all know.

Yes, the dealer`s book states there should be GS badging but Buick corrected that in an addendum. I`ll see if I can did that up and post a scan.

Tom

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Yes, the dealer`s book states there should be GS badging but Buick corrected that in an addendum. I`ll see if I can did that up and post a scan.

Tom

I believe you Tom!!  It isn't the first brochure that wasn't accurate.  

• Like 1
19 hours ago, JZRIV said:

PY code with X in a circle on the bottom left axle tube 2-4" over from Diff housing. I've seen that car before, I'll do some digging through my files and see if I have any notes. the side marker lights added on make it unique. Its a sharp looking car thats for sure

Send me a pic of Fisher tag and VIN

The engine stamps will tell you if its the original engine but as stated no difference GS or Non GS 

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/buick/riviera/2464480.html

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 3.42.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 2.37.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 2.37.56 PM.png

This car was originally Shadow Turquoise with an Aqua interior. Pictures can be deceiving but the present exterior color looks closer to Blue Mist? If so, somewhat funky combo...I`d be concerned about resale...but that`s just another opinion

Tom Mooney

While I've no intention of resale, I feel like to many different things have been pointed out at this point.  In addition, they don't seem to want to part with the supposed sales receipt they have which makes me think it doesn't mention the GS package.  I appreciate everyone's feedback as it goes a long way to me making a dumb mistake.

Regardless of whether it's a standard model being passed off as a GS, it looks like a nicely optioned '67.  Just don't pay extra if it isn't a real Gran Sport.

I absolutely love the Aqua interior with wood console!  However, it doesn't quite 'go' with the shade of blue chosen for the exterior.  

I see it has the Buick rubber mats, but they're black.  I imagine the original mats would have been aqua, no?  But we shouldn't expect the original floor mats to last 54 years!

image.thumb.png.5357f6533ceedac939e73253f4de21c2.png

My 63 had the original mats in it when I bought it in 82 and they were shot then. I know they were original because they were white with a black tri-shield. Unless those mats were stored in a hermetically sealed container, I really doubt that they're original.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
4 hours ago, psychostang said:

I truly can't stand when people refuse to part with original paperwork.  That is part of the provenance of the vehicle.

I have never heard of people doing that...well till now anyway...

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
2 hours ago, TheTaxMan said:

It tells me that the paperwork won’t show the GS option. The hunt continues....

Well, not sure if this is the same vehicle from Florida, yet I recall seeing this ad awhile back and it has the same side markers...

"This beautiful American car has been the pride possession of my dad for over 40 years. He is a retired GM technician that has pampered and serviced this beauty from day one."

https://www.virtualparking.net/ride/211/1967-buick-riviera

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 5.21.22 AM.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
1 hour ago, Chimera said:

Well, not sure if this is the same vehicle from Florida, yet I recall seeing this ad awhile back and it has the same side markers...

This beautiful American car has been the pride possession of my dad for over 40 years. He is a retired GM technician that has pampered and serviced this beauty from day one.

https://www.virtualparking.net/ride/211/1967-buick-riviera

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 5.21.22 AM.png

Riviera Ferret!!

Tom

TheTaxMan

Ask them for a copy of the receipt.  They can keep the original and you get the info you want and another piece of paper to keep with your car.  If they won't do that something may be fishy.

Rock On

gord

25 minutes ago, TheTaxMan said:

Did you see this on another 67?

It is a 69. Basically they added safety features from a 68-69 Riviera. I get adding the rear signal perhaps, but that front one is so petite.

Unfortunately having parking lights added later in life wasn't unheard of, it gave owners a more updated look and some owners just wanted the at the time cool new feature.   Be a big deduction in judging but at least they are done with original Buick parts so they look correct to everyone that doesn't know 67's  

• 4 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of viewing this car in person as the buyer (ROA member) who is now the new owner and lives local contacted me to come and check it out.  It is a very straight AMAZINGLY rust free car. All bumpers and trim fit as original which is rare on these. Engine sounds great and drives great. Its a perfect car to just drive as is if it were mine but think the owner wants to eventually do a high level resto on it. It has some basic needs but nothing serious. Nice original vinyl top with one small defect. I did not investigate if original GS or not because the owner did not ask me to and was very happy with the purchase. However I was not able to see a limited slip tag on axle which may or may not mean anything. It did have the insulation retainer on the hood. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, anyone interested in knowing any answers on this particular 1967 Buick Riviera. I can definitely answer most of your questions. My dad was the original owner of this beautiful car. It was in my family from 1967 til 2009. We hated to part with such a treasure but ultimately it was my dad's decision. My dad was never the same after selling it and unfortunately passed away that same year. Feel free to ask me about this beauty and I will do my best to answer all questions. I've been looking for her for quite awhile and finally got to see that she's ok. Just some info on my dad, he worked as a mechanic for General Motors all his life. He worked at the Linden NJ plant until he retired. That Riv was his 2nd wife.. 🙂

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

Edited by Jormik
Had to fix something (see edit history)
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Jormik said:

Hello, anyone interested in knowing any answers on this particular 1967 Buick Riviera. I can definitely answer most of your questions. My dad was the original owner of this beautiful car. It was in my family from 1967 til 2009. We hated to part with such a treasure but ultimately it was my dad's decision. My dad was never the same after selling it and unfortunately passed away that same year. Feel free to ask me about this beauty and I will do my best to answer all questions. I've been looking for her for quite awhile and finally got to see that she's ok. Just some info on my dad, he worked as a mechanic for General Motors all his life. He worked at the Linden NJ plant until he retired. That Riv was his 2nd wife.. 🙂

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

Gorgeous 67. Excellent color. I am curious about the added rear turn signal and front reflector/turn signal. Did your dad add that for safety reasons? Thank you for connecting with the RoA forum to offer insight. That is really appreciated!