1 hour ago, pkhammer said:

Well, at least it caught the leaf/debris before it entered the intake manifold! 😁

And might have kept Meeces from getting in thru the intake! Nah, a determined rodent would just gnaw thru it...🙄

33 minutes ago, lump said:

It was some kind of sliding weight mechanism, which supposedly would shift a counterweight to the side of the rear axle which was on the inside of a turn, putting more weight on the wheel which would normally be "lifting" under the G-forces.

Is anyone familiar with such a product? Curious now about how it claimed to work. 

Trying to imagine what type of Rube Goldberg apparatus would be needed to throw that sliding weight back to the opposite direction centrifugal force is "influencing" it to go?

• Like 2

Has anyone mentioned Gas Tank Pills? I can say with certianty that if I were to put these in the fuel tank of my RAM 2500 Diesel, I would never need to add another drop of gasoline.

Fuel Pills.jpg

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, lump said:

I remember a family friend back in the 1960's told my parents he had discovered a device which would improve traction for cars while cornering. It was some kind of sliding weight mechanism, which supposedly would shift a counterweight to the side of the rear axle which was on the inside of a turn, putting more weight on the wheel which would normally be "lifting" under the G-forces. I remember my Dad smiling politely and listening to the spiel. But later as we drove home, Dad told Mom and I that it was a complete hoax and "snake oil" product, which our friend (who was not a car guy) had fallen for. 

Is anyone familiar with such a product? Curious now about how it claimed to work. 

This was discussed some time within the last year or so.

Might have been that someone had one for sale.

5 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Well, at least it caught the leaf/debris before it entered the intake manifold! 😁

screens below the carburetors on a supercharger is a common practice, to keep loosen carburetor parts from destroying the blower internal parts.

And then there was the Pogue carburetor. 

Don't forget the Pass-Master, the only device tested by the gov in the '70s that improved gas mileage.

• Haha 1

How do you the Marvel Oiler works?

If the car you reground valve on every 10'000- 15,000 miles and replaced rings on ever 15,000 -25,000 miles on..now needs valves touch up every 12,000 -18,000 miles and rings replaced every 18,000 to 33,000 miles.

That's how!

22 hours ago, AL1630 said:

1714732735_100mpgcarb.jpg.3d88c2dade76029a44248845567dea12.jpg

I bet this one was purchased and covered up by the oil companies because it worked too well. Same with the mythical 100mpg carburetor. 🙄

Look closely at the ad.........the mailing address.............Dept. BS ..........the as says it all. I’m sure they laughed their asses off every time they got an order.

• Like 2
On 2/8/2021 at 2:03 PM, Morgansdad said:

Without hijacking this thread, Does anyone here use Marvel Mystery Oil and does it work for you or a waste of money ?

For 20 years, I had two 1925 Pierce Series 80 cars, one professionally restored, the other refurbished in the 1960s and with a tired engine--acquired a year apart.  (I still have the refurbished one.)  I soon found that in both cars, a valve (L-head 6 engine) would hang up (i.e., stick open) on the first tour in the spring after a winter's nap, apparently from a carboned up valve stem/guide.  At the suggestion of another collector, I began adding 4 oz of MMO per each 10 gallons of gas before putting the nozzle in the tank.  The last fill-up before winter definitely has MMO.  NEVER encountered the stuck valve problem again.  I add that dose every other tank to all my side valve engines.  And it keeps the tigers away!

MMO was reportedly created about 1925 to address the frequent decarbonizing of heads necessitated by the bad gas of the day.  It has a naphtha base which *reportedly* helps convert hard carbon in combustion chambers to softer carbon which can flake off and be expelled through the exhaust system.  How much of that is true, I don't know, but MMO has done for me what I needed it to do.

• Like 3

George......Marvel Mystery Oil is basically just detergent..............it does clean the combustion chamber, which is why it prevented valve hang up. The tired engine is the clue to why it helped. Incomplete combustion was leaving behind carbon and other deposits......hanging up the valves. Recently I saw a car with a MMO top end lubricator and he was running ATF in it.........which is cheaper, and much less expensive. Only problem is excessive smoke...........ATF is highly detergent..........and the smoke kills the mosquitoes!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

FS- Rare Zoom Supercharger NOS in original packaging, never opened.😜 I don't know how it works but it's got little vanes that spin to enhance your fuel mixture. Greatly improves power and performance. Includes dashboard sticker to impress your friends. Offered for only $300 before it goes on Ebay for much more. Might be the last one in the world, ever seen another one? 

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

• Haha 1

These were popular in the NYC in the 70's. A Bronx trim package. All it did was instead of the trunk getting broken into for your full size spare, they stole the entire car and took all five tires, plus....

IMG_3207.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, edinmass said:

Look closely at the ad.........the mailing address.............Dept. BS ..........the as says it all. I’m sure they laughed their asses off every time they got an order.

I don't know about that particular department, but most of these ads in the 1960s magazines had a "Dept such and such" line that allowed the company's marketing department to track the source of the ad to better target customers - the precursor to what Amazon and others do today. Ads in Hot Rod Magazine, for example, had "Dept HR-8" for the August issue of Hot Rod. Car Craft ads always had "Dept CC", etc, etc.

edinmass said:

"George......Marvel Mystery Oil is basically just detergent..............it does clean the combustion chamber, which is why it prevented valve hang up. The tired engine is the clue to why it helped. Incomplete combustion was leaving behind carbon and other deposits......hanging up the valves. Recently I saw a car with a MMO top end lubricator and he was running ATF in it.........which is cheaper, and much less expensive. Only problem is excessive smoke...........ATF is highly detergent..........and the smoke kills the mosquitoes!"

(Don't know why the quote function isn't working for me this morning)

Ed, it was the rebuilt engine in the professionally restored coupe that had the more severe case--by far--of valve hangup.  Yes, MMO is indeed a detergent.  In the 1918 dual valve which likes an oilier fuel, I use synthetic 2-cycle oil.  Irrespective of "science," MMO works for me and that's what counts, even if some say it's a placebo.  And it doesn't smoke like ATF.

You guys just had to bring up the cow magnets!!!

I am indirectly partially responsible for the great cow magnet fiasco! [IMG] My apologies.

A lot of years ago, got a call from a gentleman in Texas that had rust issues in his fuel and was going to take the car to the Pate show in a couple of days for sale, and could I overnight a rebuilt carburetor to him today?

Well, the answer was no, but: I told him about the Carter Magna-trap. This was a magnet with a special shape to fit into a Carter glass bowl fuel filter. I have told many enthusiasts about this, and suggested one of the refrigerator magnets like your better half uses to stick honey-do jobs to the refrigerator.

He told me he had a dairy farm, and had several of the cow magnets (cows are stupid, they will eat just about anything, including baling wire....oops, showing my age again [IMG] ). If you feed one of the magnets to a cow, the wire doesn't pass into the entire digestive tract (you city folks, use Google, not about to get into the digestive system of a bovine [IMG] ) He would make a loop in the fuel line and tape three of the magnets to the loop, hopefully to stop the rust from passing into the carburetor.

About 3 days later he called, and he was laughing so hard, it took about 15 minutes for him to repeat the story. Seems everyone that looked at the engine asked about the cow magnets. After the first few, he started with a story that he continued to embellish as the day wore on. The final story was the magnets created a flux field, supercharging the fuel molecules, and giving almost non-Newtonian power and fuel economy!

Well, you guessed it. P.T. Barnum scores again! This even made the Johnny Carson show (remember the "headlines" segment)? Over 300,000 cow magnets were sold in the southwestern United States within a month. Every supplier was sold out, and had back orders.

Here is a link to a picture of the Carter Magnatrap that I placed on my website:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carter_Magnatrap.jpg

And now you know "the rest of the story" [IMG]

Newspaper story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...noredirect=on&utm_term=.19601413ca5d

Jon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 2/8/2021 at 5:57 PM, Jim Bollman said:

I never checked out the story but I was told many years ago that Warsawskys and J.C.Whitney were on opposite sides of a city block and they shared warehouse between the two store fronts.

J C Whitney 1917-19 Archer Street and Warshawsky 1900-24 South State Street Chicago IL. It is a sharp angle corner, but same building.👍 

• Like 1
On 2/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, lump said:

I remember a family friend back in the 1960's told my parents he had discovered a device which would improve traction for cars while cornering. It was some kind of sliding weight mechanism, which supposedly would shift a counterweight to the side of the rear axle which was on the inside of a turn, putting more weight on the wheel which would normally be "lifting" under the G-forces. I remember my Dad smiling politely and listening to the spiel. But later as we drove home, Dad told Mom and I that it was a complete hoax and "snake oil" product, which our friend (who was not a car guy) had fallen for. 

Well, check this out:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/gotta-a-liquid-mercury-roll-bar-in-the-trunk.601389/

So, snake oil usually. But,

Yes, they did use Mercury in frames of race cars for traction changes. It was prohibited after a short while....

I'm another fan of Marvel Mystery Oil. My 8N tractor would gets a stuck valve every few years. I could dump about 4-8oz in the gas tank  depending on how full it was, run the engine for a few minutes and shut it down and let it sit for a day or so. Would start right up and the valve was fine. after the second time I started just dumping a little in once a year or when I thought about it and haven't had a stuck valve since.

I remember seeing the ads for the trunk weight shifter thing and even looking at the pictures I couldn't figure out how you could passively move a weight in the opposite direction inertia would want it to go.

• Like 1

Right, that's why the spring loaded weight shifter was bogus.

Now, the Mercury idea was it would flow to the low spot from gravitational force, and not move from "centrifugal" force. The low spot being different based on the tilt of the frame. Maybe more snake oil......😉

I wonder if I put all of these super fuel savers on the beast (38 Studebaker 6 cylinder) if I would ever have to fill up more than once a year or so? I currently drive it about 5000 miles a year!  I’m going to look deeper into that. 
dave s 

On 2/8/2021 at 11:32 PM, AL1630 said:

1714732735_100mpgcarb.jpg.3d88c2dade76029a44248845567dea12.jpg

I bet this one was purchased and covered up by the oil companies because it worked too well. Same with the mythical 100mpg carburetor. 🙄

My Father bought one of these on the Boardwalk in New Jersey when I was a kid.The barker had a full size Buick there mounted on about a 35 degree angle  so the crowd could see things showing the horsepower increase on a big "Horsepower meter" he had there. Dad bought one on the spot. He installed it on our Mercury but it did little. Sat on a shelf for years in our garage. Years later I was brave enough to take it down from a shelf and open it up. Inside was a small chain connecting bottom and upper lug! Yes snake oil but the Barker sold tons of them that night. This was about 1960. Brings back a great memory . Thank you!!

• Like 1

Ex father-in-law was looking for a way to increase traction of his Comet on snowy roads so he opened the trunk and filled the fender wells with concrete. Helped some with traction until the wells rusted thru. 

• Like 1