Jump to content

NOS Reatta Select Sixty hood ornament


Recommended Posts

Several years back a frequent visitor here had them for sale.   He had accuired a box of them (actual quantity unknown) I believe he posted a photo of a box full of them.  A search on this site might find the part he was selling........they were not even close to that price range.   I have one from him via a trade for a part he needed.   They are rare but the ebay price is out of sight.

Also, there is a minor discussion about which car got them.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

The finish on the eBay one appears to be painted on like it has been redone.  It sticks in my mind that someone had bought some that were unfinished and had them done a done many years ago.  Even the colored center looks odd, here is my NOS one to compare. 

E8C95B8C-7C7D-4D3A-958D-20E205F24595.jpeg

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

I recognized the sellers Ebay name and he used to buy parts from me but have not heard from him since 2015.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Wonder whatever happened to Steve? 

You will have to ask booreatta. They are buddies. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Booreatta said:

Huh. Hey Jim I have a bottle of warm air and I could send it to you. I has just a pinch of B** S***. 
stay safe and get your vaccine 

It is going to take more than a couple of bottles of warm air.

Here is a picture of my dash on my way to church last Sunday morning and it is supposed to be that cold from now until next Tuesday.

Quote

 

 

-24 below.jpg

Edited by Jim (see edit history)
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Folks,

 

Just out of curiosity ...... Jim, Barney, or other knowledgeable member/s, what is a reasonable (if can be found) price one should pay for SS hood emblem/ornament please?  And Thanks !

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say $500-$1000, there are several people out there that are sitting on several each and there are a fair number of us that have one tucked away. It's all about supply and demand and there were probably more hood ornaments than cars and after all these years the number of people that have an SS of either  88 or 90 are dwindling and the number that have one and don't have a SS hood badge for their car is dwindling.  I would assume the unfinished ones that I believe Steve had finished would have even been in the count of the ones produced or just some that were popped out 

 

 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

I would say $500-$1000, there are several people out there that are sitting on several each and there are a fair number of us that have one tucked away. It's all about supply and demand and there were probably more hood ornaments than cars and after all these years the number of people that have an SS of either  88 or 90 are dwindling and the number that have one and don't have a SS hood badge for their car is dwindling. 

 

I don't get it. Why would a SS hood ornament be with that much unless you have a Select Sixty Reatta that needs one? If you don't own a SS Reatta is it just something that you can add to your collection of Reatta memorabilia so you can brag that you have something hard to find? I like '64 split window Corvettes but I wouldn't pay big money to own a hubcap off one of them just to hang on the wall. I guess I'm just too down to earth to be a collector.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim and others......I moved south because I don't like the cold and I no longer own a snow shovel 

Last saturday it was 75,  today it is right at freezing, we are getting freezing rain and they expect it to be this way until Monday. 

I say the hell with a wall on our south border....we need a wall on the north border to stop that cold air from coming down from Canada. 

 

The Select Sixty Dealer emblem is a nice piece of Reatta memorabilia to own but each person would need to determine what it was worth to them.    If you owned a 1988 black coupe with the X22 code, you might want a emblem for your car.   If a showroom condition 1988 coupe was worth $15,000,   would installing an emblem that cost $3500 increase the value of your car to $18,500?

On the other end of the spectrum,  if you had a $5,000 car a $3,500 accessory would be 70% of the value of the car.

I may know the seller but do not know who he is from the ad.... I suspect the ad is just there as bait... seeing if anyone will make an offer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Folks, Years ago (maybe 2012-14) I picked up a SS badge for a very reasonable price (don't really remember the price but it was "cheap") because I had bought a SS and with intentions of keeping it.  My thoughts were that even then it was supposedly rare.....and if I did have the misfortune of some front end damage I would not have to hunt one down.  And besides, I do have right much Reatta memorabilia.  Since the topic was being discussed anyway, I was just curious as to what one was ..... really ..... worth these days.

Edited by Roadster90 (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

  

 

I don't get it. Why would a SS hood ornament be with that much unless you have a Select Sixty Reatta that needs one? If you don't own a SS Reatta is it just something that you can add to your collection of Reatta memorabilia so you can brag that you have something hard to find? I like '64 split window Corvettes but I wouldn't pay big money to own a hubcap off one of them just to hang on the wall. I guess I'm just too down to earth to be a collector.

That is a range that they have definitely sold for in the past so I would say they are still in that range.  I think there were a fair number of people that bought them as a perceived investment.  I also do believe some bought them for their personal Reatta collection even if they didn't own a SS.  I don't own one now but if the right one ever came along I would have another one.  I bought the emblem I have now as a backup in case anything happened to the one I had and when I sold the car the badge I had for it went with it.  The $3500 is ludicrous 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The seller is Michael Blackstock in Bad Axe MI

Ronnie, The split window coupes were in '63 so if you can find a '64 split window it would be worth more than a Select 60 emblem. :)

I have a '63 convertible w/2 tops.

The emblem in my picture did come off an '88 with the X22 code.

I was delivering a CRT many years ago to a lady in Denver and she said she had an '88 Reatta but when walked up to it I noticed it had a larger emblem and in looking closer it was the S60 emblem. I then checked and indeed she had the X22. A few years later I ended up buying the car and it is currently somewhere in northern WI but without the emblem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a 63 Splitwindow FI tanker I bought to race. Paid a grand for it. Today would rather have a 65, last year for FI and first for disk brakes. Never cared for the 88 SS mainly because I do not like black cars. Guess am just scots but would have trouble with even $200 for a hood emblem. Even at that price would expect repops. A real mascot maybe but not just an emblem.

 

BTW Dan Short makes a split window hardtop for any 63-67 'vert. Had a wink mirror in mine to see out the back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim said:

Ronnie, The split window coupes were in '63 so if you can find a '64 split window it would be worth more than a Select 60 emblem.

Right you are. I knew better. I got a new keyboard for Christmas and I'm hitting the worng keys a lot. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1988 Black/Tan I am driving as a "Winter" Reatta is a Select 60 in every way except for the code in the trunk. It has the suede seats and the brown horn button. Maybe if I bought that ornament I could up the value as a clone or "Tribute" car. Let's see bought the car for $1000, buy ornament for $3500 offer for minimum $4500. 

Anyone interested?

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

My Reatta probably has been photographed more than any other Reatta. Most of the photos were posted in the forums and on ROJ. Photos were taken under the car, in the trunk, under the hood, you name it. Would that make it worth more money? :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 4:46 PM, padgett said:

Had a 63 Splitwindow FI tanker I bought to race. Paid a grand for it. Today would rather have a 65, last year for FI and first for disk brakes. Never cared for the 88 SS mainly because I do not like black cars. Guess am just scots but would have trouble with even $200 for a hood emblem. Even at that price would expect repops. A real mascot maybe but not just an emblem.

 

BTW Dan Short makes a split window hardtop for any 63-67 'vert. Had a wink mirror in mine to see out the back.

We are off of Reattas here but Oh well.

That Split window '63 FI tanker would be worth a LOT of money today.

My story is we bought my current '63 convertible for $ 1900 in '68 and sold it for $1900 in '69. Bought it back in $ 1980 for $ 8500. ( convertible w/2tops, 340hp 4-speed with 411s )

That car back then was my nickel and dime car always something minor wrong. After selling the '63 I bought a '65 convertible w/2tops 300hp, 4speed 323 gears and never had a bit of trouble. With those gears that car, several times, hit 140 MPH

One time we were traveling along the freeway in South Dakota with the '65 and a 68 Camaro came down a ramp, passed me, and accelerated. He got up to 135 with me following and when I could see he could go no faster, I passed him. Young and very foolish back then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, Roadster90 said:

Hi Folks,

 

Just out of curiosity ...... Jim, Barney, or other knowledgeable member/s, what is a reasonable (if can be found) price one should pay for SS hood emblem/ornament please?  And Thanks !

I sold the used one you see in my footer for $250 or so 5 years ago. It came from a 1988 SS I sold for $600 running and driving.  It went to a 1990 SS owner without one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 6:00 AM, DAVES89 said:

The 1988 Black/Tan I am driving as a "Winter" Reatta is a Select 60 in every way except for the code in the trunk. It has the suede seats and the brown horn button. Maybe if I bought that ornament I could up the value as a clone or "Tribute" car. Let's see bought the car for $1000, buy ornament for $3500 offer for minimum $4500. 

Anyone interested?

I don't think so. The ornament added no cache to my true 1988 SS. Bought for $1500, sold for $600 and removed the hood ornament.  Personally,  I thought it was cool. To me, it was an artifact.  A real 1988 SS sold from an Omaha dealer.  But to the buyer he could have cared less so I kept the badge and put a NOS small badge on for him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...