Wheel lug wedges Perlman Buick 1910s 1920s

Morgan Wright

When I got my car it came with a spare car and many piles of spare parts. One pile has these that say Buick on them. Is that "correct" for certain years? The ones on my car say Perlman (on the right in the pic).

They were painted black, on top of red paint, off a 1918 Buick that was restored but got old again and rotted away. Anybody know what color they were originally, and what years the "Buick" ones were used? I love the fact that they say Buick, and will probably strip the paint off them and use them on my car, if they are correct for 1917.

DSCN3798.JPG

Ben,

The BAKER rim wedges are really different shaped from the ones that have BUICK cast into them.  Would you do us a favor and take some photos of the front and back of the BAKER wedges and post them on here.  I am curious if there was any difference between 4 and 6-Cylinder model wheel attachments.  There were BAKER, BUICK, and JAXON rim wedges that I know of and all of these were of cast steel material.  I have been told that the earliest of the demountable type rim wheels used a washed nickel and/or zinc finish.  Cadmium plating did not come along until sometime in the 1930's.  I believe that there was a STANWELL rim wedge also.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked in my parts book and it does not call out a particular named wedge. 

I have looked in my stash of wedges and found that the BUICK & PERLMAN wedges are identical except for the name on the wedge. BUT.............

As shown in the picture below, the first row of wedges I have a plain PERLMAN and a plain BUICK.  

The second row of wedges show WM on either side of the bolt hole.  This would stand for Weston-Mott axle company which supplied axles to Buick.  This makes sense. 

I do not know what the smaller letters below WM are for on the Perlman wedge mean.  Maybe they were used for another manufacturer like Oakland or could be a date code. 

The BM on the third BUICK wedge could be axles built after 1913 when GM bought Weston-Mott to designate Buick-Mott axle, but I do not know.  I would think either PERLMAN or BUICK wedges would be fine, but BUICK might be a later addition to axles only used by Buick or a difference for model year change.

Just my thoughts. 

image000000 (55).jpg

• Like 5

• 2 years later...