What’s a 1931 Roadster Worth...

tyler searle

Hi All

Have an elderly neighbor who wants to sell his A, it’s in very nice shape and runs well. Always kept inside.He has owned it for a number of years but doesn’t really know any of the prior history. Going to look at it next week and get some pictures and more info. Has a rumble seat and spare on fender. 
  Looking for a ballpark range of value, I’m into T’s and not we’ll versed on A’s, any help appreciated. The car will be for sale soon. N.Y. State.

Tyler

Hi Tyler.  Pretty wide range on the one hand, as a 31 roadster in "pretty nice shape" can mean "for an old restoration", or its a competitive fine point A.  Let's toss the extremes on either end, Likely by the situation you described, $10k to 15k depending on mechanicals and cosmetics.  It should be up and running as you note unless paint and interior are super tidy at high end of that range.  High teens is a presentable driver with shiny paint etc.  Fairly fresh restoration, $20k and points cars still bring stronger money but always less than investment.

The trick is how much mechanical restoration was done.  Tough if he doesn't know the history.  Brakes on these can get relatively expensive.  Look for:

Try to tell if brake work was done, cast drums are a good indicator someone did a good job there.  Brakes, pedal to wheel, with drum conversion is maybe $4,000

1.5" or close steering wheel play is not bad, more and you likely need to do the steering box, column. Typically around $1,500

Wobble, or shudder when stopping can be a sign you have some work to do.

Check shocks, they make a difference in driveability, nice, US made repro set is around $1,200

Sometimes these areas get skipped so I mention them as things to look for, what is there may be perfectly serviceable.  Just areas worth checking out.

There are usually a few roadsters for sale on fb marketplace or the two or three big Model A groups on fb.  An hour poking around should give you a clue before you head out.  Good luck!

Great cars.  If I could have two I would have a stock roadster and a hot fenderless banger hot rod.  Ours is not for sale but as with most old cars I am easily over invested, it is all where it doesn't show but it's safe and handles, stops really well.

2017-07-09 21.21.33.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Steve is pretty much spot on with his numbers. Having just done a complete restoration on a '29 Model A chassis, I'm into it for about $8,000. An engine rebuild is around $5.000 alone. The only reason I'm doing it is because the car has sentimental value to me. I am fully aware that when I finish the car, I will be into it for a lot more than it's worth. The sad thing is that Model A's just aren't bringing what they once did.A You can get a really nice, restored, show ready Model A for $15,000. If you can provide more pictures we can get a better idea what the car is really worth.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/13/2021 at 7:14 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Yep, $15k gets a coupe, a nice tudor can be had for around $12k.  What's interesting is the fordor cars, if wood is good, seem to command more than tudors.  I like blindback fordors a lot.  Keep us posted, Tyler!

I sold a Fordor two years ago, solid car, needed some body work, but not much, and it took awhile to sell it for $8250.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:15 PM, mrcvs said:

I sold a Fordor two years ago, solid car, needed some body work, but not much, and it took awhile to sell it for $8250.

I was surprised you struggled so much on that one but never asked about final price.  Would you say a light project, or ready to enjoy but needing work?  I think the gap can be wide as ready to enjoy but nor full blown, fresh restoration cars seem to be in pretty good supply in Model A world.  Any newbie asking is going to get counseled to spend a littke more for the runner.  That could have been it but as said, that was a decent enough looking car with a new engine if I remember right.

A while can also be relative in the antique car world.  Weeks, months, years, personally I figure 3 mos. Typical, 6 or more is a while.  Need to sell faster, drop price. 

Anyway good point mr. CVS

On 8/12/2021 at 11:19 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I was surprised you struggled so much on that one but never asked about final price.  Would you say a light project, or ready to enjoy but needing work?  I think the gap can be wide as ready to enjoy but nor full blown, fresh restoration cars seem to be in pretty good supply in Model A world.  Any newbie asking is going to get counseled to spend a littke more for the runner.  That could have been it but as said, that was a decent enough looking car with a new engine if I remember right.

A while can also be relative in the antique car world.  Weeks, months, years, personally I figure 3 mos. Typical, 6 or more is a while.  Need to sell faster, drop price. 

Anyway good point mr. CVS

Definition of awhile, I think I sold it in slightly under 90 days.  Parked in front of my house, I didn’t mind it.  The neighbors seemed to like it.  90 days can seem like an eternity with the wife complaining and her mindset that the neighbors didn’t want to look at it either!

Yes, the new engine block installed to replace the one that was cracked.  The new block was a freebie, so I only had the materials needed in addition to the new block as the labor was a club project.  I donated the cracked block to the club to be turned into a cutaway.

I learned a lot from this!  First, there are many great examples out there in the Model A world that don’t cost a fortune, so the local car for sale at $8250 might not seem like a bargain.  And, like with anything, going topless is generally more desirable, LOL!  Save a bit more and get that phaeton or roadster, and don’t jump at the first affordable Model A you see.

I feel fortunate to have gotten out of it what I paid for, less the $50 monthly storage fee and minor repair costs.

• Like 2