How many miles should I expect to get out of original struts on a 1995 Riviera?

Jim Skelly

It has around 80,000 miles and was primarily maintained by the local Buick dealer.  It used to have an excellent, smooth ride the few times I drove it over the years before I acquired it.  I had new Michelins put on it and the ride is still poor.  A co-worker drove a neighbor's first generation Olds Aurora and told me how horrible the ride was (it had about 75,000 miles).  I don't see any leaking from the struts.  Do these cars typically need new struts due to their age, and what brand should I get?  Thanks.   

I once owned both '96 and '97 Rivieras.  Even though there was a different suspension design between the two years, I found the ride in each getting a little "bouncy" around the 75K/80K miles.  I bought these cars at one year old each that were previously fleet rentals.  Don't believe they were driven hard previously, and I only used them as daily drivers....so no abuse by me.

I ended up replacing struts/shocks with Monroes' and was very pleased with the ride after installation.  

From having owned and serviced them since new......I clearly remember them leaking when only a few years old regardless of mileage. Just lifting the car off the ground would often cause oil to run past the seal. I would expect that many people are driving around in half full or empty struts. Springs, struts, and shocks are a mileage and age out issue. Installing good stuff is your best bet. How about those monochrome crt screens from back in the day! 👍

• Thanks 1

I also previously owned two '92 Rivieras that rode very well...didn't have to replace struts and shocks until a little over 100K miles on either one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

they usually start to leak a little oil at 70K and get bouncy at 100-125k. The oil leakage is no reason to change them....wait till the bouncing starts.

Thank you. Likely restarting my search soon.

• 3 months later...

I personally would rather change my shocks and struts too often than to have less than a like new ride . I have had 3 1996 Rivieras, and 4 1998-1999 Auroras and I would say 80K miles is a benchmark for changing them, if not sooner.   Why procrastinate if only to drive a car that does not give you enjoyment?  Suspension seems to be the LAST thing people worry about. I make it a priority myself. 

• Like 1

Ok.......a leaking strut is still good.......I rest my case. People have NO clue. What the hell do I know, a lifetime of car service and restoration.......with thousands of cars serviced at my shop. Internet experts with no clue.....or brains. Yup, I said it. And I’m tired of being polite. Leaking shocks and struts are junk.....back when they were three years old. I’m wasting my time.......

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Ok.......a leaking strut is still good.......I rest my case. People have NO clue. What the hell do I know, a lifetime of car service and restoration.......with thousands of cars serviced at my shop. Internet experts with no clue.....or brains. Yup, I said it. And I’m tired of being polite. Leaking shocks and struts are junk.....back when they were three years old. I’m wasting my time.......

I like the next to the last statement in your signature, and I quote “If it’s not pre war, I don’t know anything about it.”

It actually should say, I don’t care about it......but I don’t want to be rude. Why don’t you look up Monroe gas charged struts and see what they say about leaking struts and shocks.  Better yet, we can go over it at an ASE convention.....I assume you have 20 certifications also? And have been an expert witness in trial courts? (Directly related to struts? I have.)  Have you done 10,000 plus state safety inspections? Leaking shocks or struts are a failure for state inspections. Have you raced for national race teams? Won a world championship in you class? Have you worked in the race devision  of Michelin tires?  I could go on......but again I am wasting my breath. After you have fifteen thousand hours in the shop, I’ll consider your opinion..........

Then again, you signature says 1990 and best in class .....call me when you get to Pebble or Amelia....Really a 1990 car  ......PLEASE, give me a brake. And yes, I have owned and serviced Rivera’s from that era......with the CRT that has all the issues. Been there, done that. 

Sorry Peter and Steve..........some people just need to be corrected. Delete it as you see fit. It’s getting time for me to take a brake from the forum........and people who have absolutely no clue to automobile service and restoration. 

In 1983 I had a 1965 Grand Sport with the dual quads, and just about every factory accessory including the compass.......... didn’t consider it a collector car when it was twenty five years old.......it was an every day driver. Fun car. The smell of the leather still stays with me all these years later. Also was fond of the 1972’s for some reason. Never got around to owning one. So, yes, I like Buick’s , and particularly the Riviera’s, I’m very fond of them for a modern car.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

As per your last sentence - "I'm wasting my time........"  Apparently not! You still continue to ramble. Oh,and it's break, not brake. Too much time in the garage?

• 2 weeks later...

I gave the '95 to my brother a couple of weekends ago and recommended replacing all of the struts.  If I decide to keep the '89, I plan to replace the struts.  The CRT screens on these are problematic, and so is the headlight switch which lights up some of the dashboard lights and the shift quadrant on the console.  The interior door panels are cracked, too, so I may just sell it.