Mid teen headlight ?

Frank Wilkie

Nice! I wish I knew what they were for. You may want to check this recent thread;

It concerns identifying a Cole automobile with similar lamps. I suspect your friend's lamps are not from a Cole, but I suppose they could be?

They could be anywhere from late 1910s into the early 1920s. Fork mounted headlamps were still used on high-end automobiles well into the mid '20s. The lenses have a 1920s look to them. However, it is always possible that they could have been changed.

There were actually quite a few automobile manufacturers that offered similar lamps as an option. Therefore,  a lot of the cars they made would have been sold without the doubled lamps. Such lamps were also offered in after-market advertising. Those factors can make identifying these difficult. These have unusual square lower lamps. That should help with identification.

8E45E just snuck in ahead of me as I was reaching for the "Submit Reply".

Looks like he may have nailed it!

Edited by wayne sheldon (see edit history)

9 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Nice! I wish I knew what they were for. You may want to check this recent thread;

It concerns identifying a Cole automobile with similar lamps. I suspect your friend's lamps are not from a Cole, but I suppose they could be?

They could be anywhere from late 1910s into the early 1920s. Fork mounted headlamps were still used on high-end automobiles well into the mid '20s. The lenses have a 1920s look to them. However, it is always possible that they could have been changed.

There were actually quite a few automobile manufacturers that offered similar lamps as an option. Therefore,  a lot of the cars they made would have been sold without the doubled lamps. Such lamps were also offered in after-market advertising. Those factors can make identifying these difficult. These have unusual square lower lamps. That should help with identification.

8E45E just snuck in ahead of me as I was reaching for the "Submit Reply".

Looks like he may have nailed it!

The Cole's had round lower lights.  Never had square ones. The Cole Aero 8s used these 12-sided headlight-parking light housings from 1918-1920.  Unquestionably agree with 8E45E's identification of Locomobile.  George

Headlight.jpg