gasoline and oil in oil pan

cquisuila

i'm afraid🤢

i drain oil in my riviera 1966 (immobilized approximately 7 years)

and...

first a lot of gasoline !!!

and after...  the oil

engine ring ?

gasoline pump ?

carburetor leak ?

I'm afraid it is serious !!🥵

While my riviera never had this issue, My corvair had gas in the oil after constantly cranking it after sitting a long time and gas went past the rings. Once it was up and running the rings eventually seated and i haven't had the issue since changing the oil. 

My auto teacher also told me a bad fuel pump will send gas straight to the pan. 

Hope this helps! :)

My buick fuel pump was extremely cheap. 18 dollars on rock auto. It took me under an hour to do it. It should of been less but it was my first time i am 17 haha. With bad ethanol gas, I would just go ahead and replace it anyway, who knows how deteriorated the diaphragm is. That is where I would start, good luck!

Normally gasoline will mix with the oil when the enine is running.  It can't be gasoline as it more than likely it was water/anti-freeze mix. Since water is heavier than oil water will be the 1st. thing to drain.  

Change the oil & filter & use 20-50 oil & see what happens 1st. BEFORE tearing down ANYTHING.

ok thank you all !!!

i repeat

in first it is that liquid that flowed with a smell of gasoline

and then ,the oil started to flow

If it water antifreeze why it is in the oil pan ? ENGINE BLOCK CRACKED ??

I  WILL change oil and filter and fill the circuit with water anti freeze (i had drained the water circuit)

and i will be back with news !!🥶

cquisuila,

I'm sure it was just some fuel in there.  There are several reasons there could be fuel in there such as carb issues allowing fuel to leak back into intake, someone not changing the oil for way too long, too many short trips. I would put fresh oil in it and run it and see how it does. I would also do another oil change again pretty soon to see if you have this issue again and also to make sure it has nice fresh oil.  

I can see gas getting into the oil IF the car is being driven. But if it's been immobilized for 7 years, the fuel pump has not been pumping.  Some gas from the bowl in the carb might leak down and get into the pan, but that would be a minuscule amount.  

According to the Math & Science Nucleus website, gas is "lighter" than oil and therefore will float on oil.  If you're draining the oil from the pan, the gasoilne would be the last fluid to come from the pan.  Oil is lighter than water (you've seen oil slicks on the road surface after a rain) and would be the first thing to come out when draining the pan.  If it is water, and the car has been sitting for a while, I would be looking for a crack in the water jacket in the bottom of the block.  Water - no antifreeze -freezing weather. The water freezes, expands, and cracks the block. Nature at its worst.

Edited by RivNut
Got out my grammar hammer (see edit history)

Ed Raner

I think as you after the coms on the people !

a crack in the water jacket in the bottom of the block....

THE WORST THING SO CHANGE THE ENGINE🙉

Edited 6 hours ago by RivNut

• Haha 1

Go to the auto parts store you frequent & ask if they loan tools & get a cooling system pressure tester. IF they won't loan you a tool with a deposit then go to Advance or Auto Zone as they both have tools they loan out with a REFUNDABLE deposit when the tool is returned.

• Thanks 1

i just changed the fuel pump and the water pump :)

i drain the oil, changed the filter and put about 4 liters on new oil 15w

i rinsed the cooling system with clear water with a garden hose

and i didn't see a leak on engine

i will recharge with anti freeze water and later i will try to start the engine

and i will hope....

thank for your advise !!!🤠

Philip

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)