For Sale: 1962 MERCURY MONTEREY Sedan, Six Cylinder - $5,500 - Malabar, FL - Not Mine

For Sale: 1962 MERCURY MONTEREY Sedan, Six Cylinder - $5,500 - Malabar, FL

1962 MERCURY MONTERREY - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

For Sale is this Beautiful 1962 Mercury Monterrey Low Rider, Unmolested, runs, drives and stops, you won't see another one around here, very few left, I had so many plans with this car, but due to this pandemic, I'm forced to sell it, has the common rust, but totally restorable, has a Inline six cylinder engine, Automatic transmission, Offered at $5500.OBO, All reasonable offers will be considered, low ballers will be ignored, This is a very collectable classic car and a Piece of American History, I'm a very motivated seller, Let's talk and make a deal, Thank you.  odometer: 234763

Copy and paste in your email:  bc31ebb3be9f350db9346f5c328d1882@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1962 MERCURY MONTEREY Sedan, Six Cylinder.

Note: The 1961 Meteor 600 and base engine for the 1962 Monterey was the 223 ci six cylinder engine.  Only 17% of 1962 Montereys were so equipped.  For 1963, full-sized Mercurys returned to V8 engines only.    

'62 MERCURY MONTEREY 6 FL a.jpg

'62 MERCURY MONTEREY 6 FL b.jpg

'62 MERCURY MONTEREY 6 FL c.jpg

'62 MERCURY MONTEREY 6 FL d.jpg

'62 MERCURY MONTEREY 6 FL e.jpg

'62 MERCURY MONTEREY 6 FL f.jpg

'62 MERCURY MONTEREY 6 FL g.jpg

'62 MERCURY MONTEREY 6 FL h.jpg

9 hours ago, Mark Huston said:

I wonder how long it will take for the next owner of this unique original Mercury to pull out the 6 cylinder engine and replace it with a 350 crate engine.   

I agree. Unfortunately, the painted bumpers have already started this car down the long path to non-originality...leading to a place were everything from Rolls Royces to lawnmowers are powered by sbc's.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that at minimum a 352/390 FE engine hadn't already replaced that six.  Other than an automatic transmission and a two-tone (white) top, this was about as basic a full-sized Mercury as one could buy in 1962.  Its a wonder they didn't trot out the 'Medalist' moniker again for the six. 

I guess there were people with growing families in the early sixties that needed the least expensive full sized sedan possible. I mention this because the Comet sold incredibly well in '61 and '62, and would've been the best way for a car buyer way to go if pursuing economy of price and operation within the Mercury line. But if you had a family of six, a Comet wouldn't be that great.

I don't know this for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me if most of these types of cars were sold during end of model year sales promotions. Left over because, as 58L-y8 implied, most full size car buyers wanted V-8's in the early sixties.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)