Engine lettering paint codes/ cleaning

Bertimus

The paint has faded a little on my engine cover lettering. I looked through the archives but couldn't find the specific red paint code. Anyone know the code? Also, what products/techniques have you found best for cleaning the engine superficially?

(Not my engine pictured, it's an example found on google) 

dsc05247.jpeg

In two words Padgett is trying to explain that the red lettering is on the '88 only.  Any bright red model car/airplane paint should be sufficient.  For the rest of the years the lettering is black.  I use major auto cleaning/detailing companies' products like Meguiars', Mothers, Blue Magic, Eagle One, Simple Green, etc.  Take your time and have plenty of paper towels, soft rags, and cotton swabs on hand to do the job.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bertimus said:

Yes my engine is the same 1988 variation pictured above

Stop posting the same question on both sites. You claimed earlier that you get a "better response" but you get the same response from the same people on both sites. If you want to ask questions on both sites please use some discretion and post some on one and some on the other. I find what you are doing annoying.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, DAVES89 said:

Stop posting the same question on both sites. You claimed earlier that you get a "better response" but you get the same response from the same people on both sites. If you keep this up I am going to encourage others to just ignore you. Stop it.

@DAVES89 Apologies, I didn't mean to agitate anyone. I actually posted to the other site yesterday and didn't get any responses (until just now, a few minutes ago) so I tried this forum earliertoday. I didn't think reaching out for help on different platforms would be problematic for some members of the community, but I am new and I guess I shouldn't have overreached. Won't happen again! Sorry 😐 

33 minutes ago, dship said:

In two words Padgett is trying to explain that the red lettering is on the '88 only.  Any bright red model car/airplane paint should be sufficient.  For the rest of the years the lettering is black.  I use major auto cleaning/detailing companies' products like Meguiars', Mothers, Blue Magic, Eagle One, Simple Green, etc.  Take your time and have plenty of paper towels, soft rags, and cotton swabs on hand to do the job.

Thank you for the tips I will definitely take my time!

• Thanks 1

For anyone in the future looking into this red lettering as well, apparently there's a "universal bright red" engine paint color that pretty much every company offers. I am going with VHT, but I saw the same color offered by Duplicolor, eastwood, rust-oleum, etc. Just make sure it's engine paint so it withstands the high temperatures.

41 minutes ago, Bertimus said:

@DAVES89 Apologies, I didn't mean to agitate anyone. I actually posted to the other site yesterday and didn't get any responses (until just now, a few minutes ago) so I tried this forum earliertoday. I didn't think reaching out for help on different platforms would be problematic for some members of the community, but I am new and I guess I shouldn't have overreached. Won't happen again! Sorry 😐 

I had changed my post [prior to your quote of mine] to not be so confrontational, but the reason people are getting slower to respond to your posts is that you do post twice. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I had changed my post [prior to your quote of mine] to not be so confrontational, but the reason people are getting slower to respond to your posts is that you do post twice. 

Won't happen again. Didn't mean any disrespect to the community!

2 hours ago, Bertimus said:

I actually posted to the other site yesterday and didn't get any responses (until just now, a few minutes ago)

Please don't be offended when you don't get an answer. Sometimes we just don't know the answer. Even though I have an '88 I didn't know and had never heard anyone ask the question before, although it was a legitimate question. Thanks for doing the research to find a color that will match the original paint on the '88 intake lettering.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Please don't be offended when you don't get an answer. Sometimes we just don't know the answer. Even though I have an '88 I didn't know and had never heard anyone ask the question before, although it was a legitimate question. Thanks for doing the research to find a color that will match the original paint on the '88 intake lettering.

I know now that I should just be more patient, I am learning that responses sometimes take a few days. 

And it is my pleasure to share any and all knowledge I find, so that new Reatta lovers like myself have all the information they need to restore these beautiful automobiles to their former glory! 

Can't imagine restoring this car without the resources you guys have built! 🙏🏽

Edited by Bertimus (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As noted by others... the cars are only 30 years old and we are still learning things ourselves.... we do not know everything. 

I have owned 12 Reattas,  all were in very good condition so they needed very little.  So I did not search for many parts.   Also remember that similar year Riviera used many of the same parts...mostly in the engine area, electronics and suspension.    An example are the rear struts, you can use Riviera rear struts but the Riviera has self leveling so Riviera struts have airbags.... in a pinch you can use them by just putting a small amount of air in the bags (maybe 5#)  I suspect the Eldorado and Seville also used the same basic rear strut but they also would have the airbag inside.

It might take me some time to answer some questions... (1) my computer died and I have yet to get a new computer setup where I can access my reference photos. (2) my wife broke a hip so I am presently staying in Dallas part of the time then home...and I have no reference material in Dallas. 

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

As it turns out, I do stand corrected on red lettering only on the '88s'.  Seems other years also had red lettering.  Sorry about that.

• Thanks 1