Windshield regulator winding knob 1928 Buick

Does anyone know how the winding knob is removed from the windshield regulator of a 1928 Buick?  Picture attached.  I have the mechanism out, which needs some work, but I can't remove the inside trim panel because the winding knob is keeping it on.  The mechanism is positioned in a steel channel about 1/2" deep.  It is welded in place.  It seems I will have to grind off the welds to repair the mechanism.  But, I would like to remove the upholstered trim panel before getting into it with an angle grinder.

Kind regards

Geoff Ward

20210205_193556.jpg

20210205_193643.jpg

Hi Goeff,  The '28 windshield regulator knob has threads on the back.  It screws on just like all the window and door handles.  If you look on the backside of any of those handles you will see what i mean.  The handle you have in the picture is actually the handle for the back quarter windows.  The correct windshield knob is just like a door window handle, just shorter throw.

David

Thanks David, but I'm not quite there yet.  The back quarter windows handle have a nut that can be unscrewed to release the handle.  The handle for the windshield doesn't have that nut.  It has an escutcheon behind the handle (see picture) which turns with the handle and I haven't been able to release the handle from the escutcheon.

Has anyone else seen this setup?

Thanks for your advice.  For whatever reason, I don't know, the escutcheon and the handle are locked together.  Maybe the previous owner epoxied them together.  I finally removed the handle and broke the thread off the escutcheon in the process.  The retaining nut was the actual escutcheon so, had they not been locked together, the escutcheon should have just screwed out like the nut on the ordinary window winder.  I will reuse the handle and escutcheon by drilling 2 holes for grub screws to clamp against the square shaft.

Many thanks,

Geoff

• Like 1

I think that your 1928 would have great similarities as my 1929 Buick.

On mine the escutcheon turns separately from the crank/knob. The escutcheon should have male threads that will thread into the mechanism housing. The reason that the escutcheon wont turn separately from the handle is due to the pot metal that was used then. Parts produced in that era are subject to high failure rate. The parts tend to grow and almost seize to each other. I have had issues with them on my 29. Sometimes they can be freed up and sometimes they cant. I used to use PB Blaster in the process.