The Truth Keeps Hurting

After being married for 40 years, I took a careful look at my life.  I told my wife that forty years ago we lived in a cheap apartment, drove a junk car, slept on a sofa bed, and watched a 16-inch black and white TV.  But hey, every night I got to sleep with the hottest 23 year-old girl I knew.  

Now we live in a $750,000 house, have a collection of antique and classic cars, sleep on a huge bed, and watch a 60-inch wide-screen flat screen TV.  But every night I crawl into bed with a 65 year-old woman.  I told her that it seems like she's not holding up her end of things.  

My wife's a very reasonable woman.  She replied that I should go out and find a hot 23 year-old girl to sleep with, and once again I will be living in a cheap apartment, driving a junk car, sleeping on a sofa bed, and watching no TV at all.  Aren't older women great?  They really know how to solve problems!

But then she contracted cancer, and the Lord took her away.  Suddenly I realized I'd give up the $750,000 house, collection of antique and classic cars, huge bed, and wide screen TV just to have that 65 year-old woman back.  Now I realize what had been best for me all along.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9

George, that put life in prospective!

I have a successful customer that has a $20+ million business with a beautiful wife and kids,  but last year had a child with the secretary! That cold shower would of been a very cheap remedy cause now the wife told him she wants to see $$, and a lot of it (which I cant blame her for).

• Like 2

George C,

Condolences, indeed....

I lost my wife years ago, and at my age, the only "single" women have more baggage than a busy airport in non - coronavirus times....

We kid about it, and say that a good life is trading in a 60 for

2 - 30s, but the reality..... Not so much....

Some things are much better as they grow older.... Can we all say,

Indeed... Our CARS, also.... Amen....

Yours, Craig....

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 2:40 AM, George Cole said:

After being married for 40 years, I took a careful look at my life.  I told my wife that forty years ago we lived in a cheap apartment, drove a junk car, slept on a sofa bed, and watched a 16-inch black and white TV.  But hey, every night I got to sleep with the hottest 23 year-old girl I knew.  

Now we live in a $750,000 house, have a collection of antique and classic cars, sleep on a huge bed, and watch a 60-inch wide-screen flat screen TV.  But every night I crawl into bed with a 65 year-old woman.  I told her that it seems like she's not holding up her end of things.  

My wife's a very reasonable woman.  She replied that I should go out and find a hot 23 year-old girl to sleep with, and once again I will be living in a cheap apartment, driving a junk car, sleeping on a sofa bed, and watching no TV at all.  Aren't older women great?  They really know how to solve problems!

But then she contracted cancer, and the Lord took her away.  Suddenly I realized I'd give up the $750,000 house, collection of antique and classic cars, huge bed, and wide screen TV just to have that 65 year-old woman back.  Now I realize what had been best for me all along.

George, thank you for this. I think I'll print this and tape it to my refrigerator. A great life lesson 👍 but at the same time, I am sorry for your loss. 😟

• Like 1

Thank you, George. We all share in your loss.

Two and a half years ago we were told by an oncologist that my wife's stomach pain was not an old ulcer now kicking up again. It was described as a newly discovered liver cancer, was inoperable, and that she had maybe three months to live. With thanks to the almighty, following multiple contacts with noted surgeons in far-flung areas of the world, we soon found a doctor right here in New Orleans at Tulane University's Medical Center. With a series of scans, it was determined that the original prognosis was false. My prayer was for the skill of the surgeon. He was able to operate, removing both her gall bladder as well as nearly 80% of her liver. Following varied other chemotherapy attempts, she has been on an extremely expensive course of chemo for almost 20 months now. This resulted in an initially moderate decrease of quantity and size of tumors, and mostly stabilization over the past year. Expense be damned - yes, we've changed our life style, sold a couple of cars, have downsized, and if need be, will continue to do so. I met her strictly by accident, nearly 53 years ago. This coming June if our blessings continue, we will have been married 52 years. We have raised two good kids and a fantastic grandson, all of whom are involved in the hobby to some extent. She has survived to see our grandson drive AACA and VMCCA tours, judge AACA Meets, graduate college Magna Cum Laude, Dean's List all eight (8) semesters, and President's (4.0) list, and to now start grad school with both a scholarship and assignment as a Graduate Teaching Assistanceship. We look forward to continuation of her successful therapy and treatment, and to be able to continue our sevice to, and enjoyment of our hobby, our family, and friends, many of whom we have come to appreciate through this great hobby.

We have shared with far too many family and friends, the loss of a child, of parent, and of spouse , especially in our old car hobby.

While we may wish for years, we've learned to appreciate and to treasure each day, each friend, each smile, each mile driven, and each good wish.

WE BOTH LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU -

DOWN THE ROAD !

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

George and Marty. Our prayers are with you  both and your families. Marty for good fortune in the future. George for your loss and hopes you remember the good times which it sounds like you had many. 
I too have been fortunate to have a wife that understands me (I think) and definitely supports me in many of the goofy things I do. We have been married over 50 years. I hope we will celebrate at least 60 or more as she is my better half and more. 
This thread is in the humor area so to try to lighten things up I will tell you how we met. 
I had gotten home from across the pond and out of the army Dec 22 67. The girl I had been going with expected a ring for Xmas. I had bought a diamond and thru a mix up did not get back to the jewelry store in time to pick it up Xmas eve. I thought I would give it to her news years eve instead. Went to pick her up for a party and she told me to get lost. As I left her house I threw the ring, little black box and all as hard as I could and it hit the house. Got in the car and went to the party. Jan 10 was in a bar with a friend when three girls walked in with short skirts and long legs!  There was one empty bar stool next to me. I pushed my buddy off his stool, offered the girls a seat and a drink and the rest is history. I chased her until she caught me and we were married two years later!  
dave s

ps. If anyone wants to look for the ring I can give you the address in Elmhurst Illinois 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 5

On 2/5/2021 at 2:40 AM, George Cole said:

• Like 1

My wife and I met in junior high in 1967. Our first date was high school grad night at Disneyland. We corresponded nearly daily while I was overseas in the Marines. We were married on the country's bicentennial in 1976. When I see the fireworks stands go up it reminds me to NOT forget our anniversary or there will be fireworks. We taught elementary school in adjoining classrooms for more than 30 years. In 2000 she was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, and the doctor said worst-case she will be deaf, blind and in a wheelchair in five years. Though not unscathed, she has beaten,  thankfully, that prediction. We know that she could take a serious turn for the worse at any time. I have been fortunate to have known the love of my life for 54 years, married 45 this July. My point? We are deeply in love, but more importantly, over our lifetimes, we have been  best friends.  I wish that all people could say that.

• Like 4

MS can be an insidious disease. I have a longtime friend that has been beating it for way more than thirty years now. He is approaching 80 years of age. On the other hand. I had a very good friend fifty years ago that contracted a rare form of MS. Diagnosed at about 22 years of age, already symptomatic. He mostly kept it secret for several years, although a few really close friends did know. By 25, it was becoming obvious, by 29, he needed help to walk at all. At 32, he went on his last model T Ford speedster/racer Endurance Run. Another wonderful friend made that happen for him. He had to be lifted in and out of the car. By 34, he was headed into a care facility. I visited him in the hospital about a month before he died. Couldn't sit up except by being belted into a special wheelchair by the staff. Couldn't speak. Spent the rest of his hours each day in a giant stainless steel crib. He was 39, two years younger than I at that time. One of the saddest things I ever saw.

My thoughts and wishes are with you! Make each day important.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine related this story.   

When his first wife turned 40, he remarked,

"Maybe I should trade her in for 2 20 year olds".   

Her reply was "You're not wired for 220!"

Smart woman.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

A friend of mine related this story.   

When his first wife turned 40, he remarked,

"Maybe I should trade her in for 2 20 year olds".   

Her reply was "You're not wired for 220!"

Smart woman.

Your "friend" might think he is wired for 220 but he has a short.

• Like 1

Wayne, thank you so much for your kind words. My wife has relapsing-remitting MS which flares then subsides, but you never regain all that was lost in a flare-up. I'm guessing your friend had Primary Progressive which attacks and never stops. We live every day to the fullest (as best we can). Most people have no clue about its progress. Attacks motor center of the brain? You can't walk. Vision ctr, blind; autonomic system, stops the heart or breathing, dead. As you said, it is an insidious disease;a long, slow,cruel death and there's not a damn thing anyone can do. Our condolences on your loss.

I have read with sadness about the lost loves from disease or divorce. 45 years ago when we were first married , she was substitute teaching and I was going to college after a tour with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. We slept on just a mattress on the floor and our dresser was cardboard boxes stacked on end. But we had each other. One day I heard Neil Sedaka's "The Hungry Years." (quoted below)

Here we stand just me and you
With everything and nothing, too
It wasn't worth the price we had to pay
Honey take me home
Let's go back to yesterday

I miss the hungry years
The once upon a time
The lovely long ago
We didn't have a dime
Those days of me and you
We lost along the way

Even as a naive young Marine, I had the wisdom to know I NEVER wanted that song to apply to us. I'm not a marriage counselor, but I hope everyone realizes what's important in their life, and it's not the property or the bank account they have acquired.

• Like 3