1937 Dictator Fuel Sending unit

Hi guys,

My sending unit is corroded and someone coated the cork with a gas tank sealer.  In any event, I'd like to find a NOS or correct replacement.  I found a similar sending unit from a 37 Plymouth.  Does anyone have a NOS or decent fuel sending unit or has anyone rebuilt one?  I'm tempted to drill out the rivets and clean and rebuild it.  

Thanks,
Nate

Be sure to seal your new cork. Gas tank sealer is a reasonable option. If you don't seal the cork it will work for a month or 2 and then sink. I know this from experience. There are probably other things you could use (super glue maybe?). I bought pre-sealed corks from Bob's Automobilia. I have no idea whether they would fit a Studebaker. I have rebuilt 1930s GM units but not Studebaker. If I were in your predicament, I would definitely have a go at rebuilding it.

My sending unit in my 1938 was bad and thanks to the 0-90 ohm range that Steve provided I went to Summit (which has a warehouse only a few miles from me) and got a sending unit Summits part number is TNK-TAN-GML

HERE IS LINK to Tanks website with some great information on the sending unit -
As I recall you have to cut bracket to fit in the Studebaker tank as it is a universal unit that will work in tanks from 6 to 24 inches deep.  If my memory is correct you also have to reverse the action of the float as the Studebaker reads full at O ohms and empty at 90.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=276/category_id=184/mode=prod/prd276.htm

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...