After Market Skirts

kingrudy

I am seriously considering purchasing some after market skirts for my car, but have read mixed reviews on these products. Has anyone gone down this road and what issues have you had. I realize that the new ones that are sold today are not 100% accurate and I am ok with that. 

Thank you, 

Mike 

1 hour ago, kingrudy said:

I am seriously considering purchasing some after market skirts for my car, but have read mixed reviews on these products. Has anyone gone down this road and what issues have you had. I realize that the new ones that are sold today are not 100% accurate and I am ok with that. 

Thank you, 

Mike 

What car are you talking about?  Year, make, model?

1 hour ago, valk said:

Great looking car. My car came with skirts but I can’t say which looks better, with or without them. I might go back to exposed wheels ‘cause I like the look but that requires relocating the chrome spears. 

F515F8DC-F75A-40C7-AD67-FC2770724D64.jpeg

2108387C-C3DD-433E-8AB8-F4AE43CDDF01.jpeg

1 hour ago, valk said:

Great looking car. My car came with skirts but I can’t say which looks better, with or without them. I might go back to exposed wheels ‘cause I like the look but that requires relocating the chrome spears. 

F515F8DC-F75A-40C7-AD67-FC2770724D64.jpeg

2108387C-C3DD-433E-8AB8-F4AE43CDDF01.jpeg

Me thinks spears are different for skirts and fender.

Ben

3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Me thinks spears are different for skirts and fender.

For what it's worth, here's what Doug Seybold told me: there are two different lengths of spears, 21" and 24".  The 24" were originally intended for the fender and the 21" for the skirts.  However, the 24" spears turned out to be a problem on the fenders because the long tips were fragile and tended to break off, for example, if they caught on a polishing cloth.  So they started using the 21" spears at the factory for the fenders as well.  So the 21" spears are "correct" for either the fender or the skirt.

As I say, that's just what Doug told me and I can't vouch for its accuracy.  (I got in trouble once on here because I posted something that Doug told me and a lot of people disagreed with it.)  I'm just the messenger.

Interesting. Conceiled behind my skirts are holes in the fender for the spears. I always assumed that they lined up with/for the spears on my skirts but now I'll have to check (and measure) them. Are yours 21 or 24? Thanks Neil. 

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

For what it's worth, here's what Doug Seybold told me: there are two different lengths of spears, 21" and 24".  The 24" were originally intended for the fender and the 21" for the skirts.  However, the 24" spears turned out to be a problem on the fenders because the long tips were fragile and tended to break off, for example, if they caught on a polishing cloth.  So they started using the 21" spears at the factory for the fenders as well.  So the 21" spears are "correct" for either the fender or the skirt.

As I say, that's just what Doug told me and I can't vouch for its accuracy.  (I got in trouble once on here because I posted something that Doug told me and a lot of people disagreed with it.)  I'm just the messenger.

Well, dang, Neil, I thought it was the other way around and the longer ones were on the skirts!!

Ben

3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Well, dang, Neil, I thought it was the other way around and the longer ones were on the skirts!!

Ben

As I said, I'm just passing along what Doug told me.  I also checked Bill Anderson's "Restoration Facts" book on the '41, and he just notes that a chrome-plated "Speedline" ornament is placed on the rear fender or on the "wheel shield" on cars that are fitted with the shields (skirts).  (pp. 84-85.)

18 hours ago, neil morse said:

Mike, I found this thread that has some more information on skirts for the '40.

Thanks Neil, I am probably going to go with Chevs of the '40s aftermarket which are supposedly good for all of the torpedo bodied cars of 1940 (Chevs, Pontiac, Olds, Buick etc). There is a company out there called Fender Depot which merged with another a few years back. I don't have to worry about the spears as 1940 did not have them. The original skirts were an option on my car, but they are very hard to find (Ken Greene) has a pair, but unless you are a '40 Buick guy who will know and I am past sweating the small stuff.  Thank you all for the input. 

Mike 

I might be able to help you if you want skirts. I have a set of teardrop skirts that came off a '36 Roadmaster 81 sedan. They're steel, they have the correct mounting hardware, but they are not correct for a '36 so I yanked 'em before it was even off the trailer. Before you buy some aftermarket/repro skirts, let's figure out whether these will fit your car. I believe they're period pieces not reproductions. The car from which they came was over-loaded with accessories and I'm removing most of them, but the owner was meticulous and a stickler for detail so I bet they're right.

Skirts1.thumb.jpg.1cd8dfae989c35ce6ff1ba21188e82e3.jpg  Skirts2.thumb.jpg.483da4effbdbe6a6c3900bcb2110a4b3.jpg

Here's the car from which they came (which will be available once we go through it and clean it up):

Roadmaster1.thumb.jpg.9e837b70a9284ea674816116034e3cae.jpg

On 2/5/2021 at 1:10 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I might be able to help you if you want skirts. I have a set of teardrop skirts that came off a '36 Roadmaster 81 sedan. They're steel, they have the correct mounting hardware, but they are not correct for a '36 so I yanked 'em before it was even off the trailer. Before you buy some aftermarket/repro skirts, let's figure out whether these will fit your car. I believe they're period pieces not reproductions. The car from which they came was over-loaded with accessories and I'm removing most of them, but the owner was meticulous and a stickler for detail so I bet they're right.

Skirts1.thumb.jpg.1cd8dfae989c35ce6ff1ba21188e82e3.jpg  Skirts2.thumb.jpg.483da4effbdbe6a6c3900bcb2110a4b3.jpg

Here's the car from which they came (which will be available once we go through it and clean it up):

Roadmaster1.thumb.jpg.9e837b70a9284ea674816116034e3cae.jpg

Beautiful car Matt. I am interested in the skirts that you removed from this car. Please send me a PM with some pics of the back side and what you would be asking for them.

Thanks

I have a '41 Roadmaster Coupe, much the same colour as the '40 Super Coupe pictured above. I was very happy with the look of my car without skirts until I visited Doug Seybold a few years ago. He had a car like mine, only with skirts, and I then wondered that perhaps I'd like to put skirts on my car. However, it gets complicated and expensive. The Speedlines are a different length, though the mounting holes are the same, so the ones on my fenders could be used on the skirts, at least for the time being till one got the correct ones. It is getting the skirts, plus the mouldings if they are missing which are not cheap. Then filling the holes in the fenders and repainting them. So kinda complicated, and I'm not sure it's worth the money!

Skirts on a Mustang, no one will convert me to that!

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

I have a '41 Roadmaster Coupe, much the same colour as the '40 Super Coupe pictured above. I was very happy with the look of my car without skirts until I visited Doug Seybold a few years ago. He had a car like mine, only with skirts, and I then wondered that perhaps I'd like to put skirts on my car. However, it gets complicated and expensive. The Speedlines are a different length, though the mounting holes are the same, so the ones on my fenders could be used on the skirts, at least for the time being till one got the correct ones. It is getting the skirts, plus the mouldings if they are missing which are not cheap. Then filling the holes in the fenders and repainting them. So kinda complicated, and I'm not sure it's worth the money!

Skirts on a Mustang, no one will convert me to that!

Thanks for the reply, I have anticipated the repaint of the skirts and possibly the fenders as I am still not sure as to how they attach to the fender. I see the lever in the center and it appears as though there are tabs on the leading and trailing edges.

• Like 1

The lever is not an engineering masterpiece. It is awkward to engage and if the lever ends up on the wrong side of the fender, it will scratch the hell out of your paint as the previous owner of my car discovered. The cover hides any damage but I’m going to have to repair scratches if I go without covers. So just be real careful installing these things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1