1985 Lesabre Collectors Edition Alternator

Stan W.

Does anyone know the amp rating of the 1985 Lesabre Limited with the 307 engine? I want to rebuild the alternator but I don't know what rectifier to buy. I believe it would be the 94 amp version, but I see there is also a 108 amp model. 

Thanks

If the alternator is original to the car, there might be a stamping of the output near the "stamp number" on the alternator case.  Usually, it's the brushes, diode trio, and voltage regulator that needs replacement, rather than the rectifier bridge, by observation.   What issues are motivating this desire to rebuild?

Seems like there are some significant visual differences in those two alternators?  Even pulley diameter, too?

Look inside the trunk (either on the bottom side of the trunk lid or on the top of the spare tire cover board, if the spare is in a recessed place) for the Service Parts ID (SPID) label.  It might have a code for the alternator in that bunch of alphanumeric codes.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467 

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Bearings and brushes (brush holder also in some cases). Skip the diodes. they do not go intermittent, usually!

You know the paper clip trick for reassembly?

On 2/4/2021 at 11:35 AM, Frank DuVal said:

Bearings and brushes (brush holder also in some cases). Skip the diodes. they do not go intermittent, usually!

You know the paper clip trick for reassembly?

Frank, 

For those of us who have forgotten the paperclip trick, please provide the detail methodology.

Thanks

As I recall, most new brush holders have a plastic dowel inserted to keep the brushes retracted until they are installed.  Then "pull it out" and you're ready to go.  Otherwise, you can manually push the brushes back into their holder, insert a "paper clip" to hold them in place (retracted) for safe keeping until they are ready to be reinstalled (IF they are worth re-installing).

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

Right! There is a hole through the back of the alternator that lines up with  holes in the brush holder. You install the brush holder onto the alternator back, push the brushes into the holder against spring pressure, insert a paper clip or toothpick into the hole, assemble halves of the alternator, then pull out the toothpick/paperclip.

• Like 1