1938 Buick Century Torque Ball Seal kit...

philipj

• philipj changed the title to 1938 Buick Century Torque Ball Seal kit...

I was under the impression that cork was better than rubber if handled properly... I just have a problem with the rubber made overseas that turns to mush, especially here in the heat... What I found from Bob's Automobilia was TBK343-L and TBS 368. That is one expensive piece of rubber plus the one gasket if you ask me... The installation process is another matter that I have to gloss over. If you have any tips, I sure welcome them. I do not want to do this twice, since it is not an easy task to detach the driveline from under the car...

I have used Bobs torque ball kit in my '38 Roadmaster maybe 20 years ago and it has been fine. I used one in my '38 Special about 5 years ago. No problems.

Getting it shimmed correctly is everything.

With the pain in the rear job it is to stop torque ball leaks, I feel it is worth every cent it might cost.

Neil Morse has posted the proceedure he used on his trans here somewhere. You could search for that

Hello Don,

I just received a note from Bob Carruba... He set me straight in terms of what kit to purchase for a 1938 series 60, and what the kit contains... You only need TBK343-L... I was mistaken and jumped the gun on my previous post....:(

The leaks are indeed a real pain! This is something I have to remedy asap, even though the amount of oil is small... I will do a search for Neil Morse and see if I can follow his instructions... Thank you for the lead.

• 7 months later...
I have decided to hire someone to do the job since I am not equipped to do it myself, yet I have a question... My car leaks a considerable amount of fluid just after having the car at idle for a while... Granted I am on a slight slope in the driveway right now, but I wonder if there might be something else needed other than the new seal and paper gaskets? Could the bushing inside the torque ball be an issue? Does anyone have the GM # for it?

I would like to have it just in case, since I do not want to revisit this job...Far too expensive!

torqueball5.jpg.48768c2d8289723e669fff308bd67711.jpg

Edited by philipj (see edit history)

If the bushing was bad, it certainly could let more oil migrate into the ball area making sealing more difficult.

However the most imprtant issue is the condition of the ball surfaces where the rubber seal rides. They have to be in good condition and not galled,  Again, the shimming is important too.

Hello Don,

I just found an old torque tube article and it mentions the very same thing, so the answer is yes. It will cause that and other issues, such as vibration and excess of fluid in the rear end...

But back to the bushing question (which I am sure it will be beyond specs if original) and as it would be expected, there is no replacement out there for the original part, GM#1301607. The closest I can find is TBB485 offered by a couple of vendors but listed to fit 40-48 models...

The remaining questions are:

1- What are the original dimensions of the factory bushing?

2- Does anyone know if TBB485 can be machined down to the required tolerances for the 1938/60 models?

Photos show TBB485 and GM# 1312410 (1940) models...

TBB485 BUSHING.jpg

1312410 TORQUE BALL BUSHING 1940.jpg

Edited by philipj (see edit history)
  • Like 1