Nailhead engine first crank after overhaul

Hope all goes well. Shorten the top radiator hose just a little should take the bend out of the the curve going towards the thermostat housing. 

Where is your ballast resister for the distributor?  I don't see it on the firewall.       

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Hope all goes well. Shorten the top radiator hose just a little should take the bend out of the the curve going towards the thermostat housing. 

Where is your ballast resister for the distributor?  I don't see it on the firewall.       

ok 

always appreciate your comments and reamrks. very useful

Edited by Selim (see edit history)
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

And there needs to be a breather on the oil fill tube, not a cap.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, old-tank said:

And there needs to be a breather on the oil fill tube, not a cap.

dont get it! a breather like what? any phots to illustrate ?

This cap as Willie pointed out needs to be vented.  The reason is the downdraft tube by the passenger side head pulls vapors from the internals out of the engine as you drive.  Without a vent at the oil filler cap no fresh air can enter the engine and vent out of the down draft tube.   Find a cap with a vent to replace the cap you have now.     

eCNZNaG.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

This cap as Willie pointed out needs to be vented.  The reason is the downdraft tube by the passenger side head pulls vapors from the internals out of the engine as you drive.  Without a vent at the oil filler cap no fresh air can enter the engine and vent out of the down draft tube.   Find a cap with a vent to replace the cap you have now.     

eCNZNaG.jpg

What will happen if I keep that one?! Engine will heat? 

44 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

eCNZNaG.jpg

many idea where to buy it?

like this one?👇

0188981A-8831-48F7-9E47-56ACE2FB6168.png

Edited by Selim (see edit history)
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Selim said:

What will happen if I keep that one?! Engine will heat? 

The engine will have condensation(water) build up internally.  Burned oil and unburned gas that got around the piston rings and down the valve guides will not be vented from the engine.     

3 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

The engine will have condensation(water) build up internally.  Burned oil and unburned gas that got around the piston rings and down the valve guides will not be vented from the engine.     

mechanic is telling me to leave this hole open for now while trying the engine after overhaul as to compensate for the cap that is not venting until we buy the vent cap from the US

is that ok?

3E07EBBA-D392-45F6-B665-E41D19BD7650.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Selim said:

mechanic is telling me to leave this hole open for now while trying the engine after overhaul as to compensate for the cap that is not venting until we buy the vent cap from the US

is that ok?

What would concern me is any dust and debris could enter the engine, while the cap is filtered.

1 hour ago, Selim said:

is that ok?

Or the current cap drill a few small holes. Trying to keep debris out. 

20 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

That is the cap you need for proper venting of the engine. 

but i dont see any holes to vent in this one!

Yes, the cap above is designed to twist-into a rocker arm cover, where what's needed has two spring clips, like the chrome cap shown previously.  So it'll slip onto the pipe.

• Like 1

Now I need to try the engine overhaul. Need to idle it and let it run for few hours to test success of overhaul. Can not get oil cap with breather at the moment. Could I let the engine run with a screen cloth like in pics without oil cap? Or could I use the current oil cap that I have which does not have breather risking dirts and debris go back to engine ? Opinion please? 

On 2/3/2021 at 1:34 PM, avgwarhawk said:

Holes are under on the bottom. There is wire meshing visible. 

Now I need to try the engine overhaul. Need to idle it and let it run for few hours to test success of overhaul. Can not get oil cap with breather at the moment. Could I let the engine run with a screen cloth like in pics without oil cap? Or could I use the current oil cap that I have which does not have breather risking dirts and debris go back to engine ? Opinion please?