Jump to content

Acronyms and English language


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

WTF means "We'll Talk Friday" ?

 

Based on some personal experience, I'm thinking PhD might actually mean "probably hilariously dumb."

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Can we talk about me instead please?

I really lose interest if the focus is not on me and my super powers.

padgett

  • AACA Member but all of my cars are licensed & have garage doors.
  • padgett
  • Members
  •  

 

BTW I often use creative spelling as a canary trap.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Like trying to capture a glee club. 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John348 said:

 

As Mr Burns picture in GreaLaR's Avitar would say

EXCELLENT

 

Mr P,

So just so you know, it is not just me!  You honestly think we all know what NSML meant? that was 50 years ago! 55 MPH is only one letter more and would tell us what you were trying to talk about.

 

 POM?,,,,,,,, come on (I can't resist) WTF?

 

Spell it out and loose the acronyms,  

And the off topic from another thread;

GF in early 70s had a Cutlass that was a very nice car but terrible in an Autocross.

 

Just a "tad" off topic? Would you agree? We went from a 62 BUICK Skylark to a 70's OLDSMOBILE and autocross?  Let's help the original poster in his quest .

 

Just a "tad" off topic? Would you agree? We went from a 62 BUICK Skylark to a 70's OLDSMOBILE and autocross?  Let's help the original poster in his quest 

 

I've never understood the need for people to do this. You see this most frequently on Facebook, where, in an ad trying to sell a car, someone will post a photo of their completely unrelated car. WTF? In what universe is something like that even remotely relevant?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the heck is a GF? a girl Friday?

 

 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The question in the original post is answered best by Jack above.  Pretty simple, in a forum dedicated to antique cars the simpler and plainer makes total sense.  Those of us that do not use acronyms every day as common language simply will not understand some posts.  I consider myself reasonably educated and have to admit that many posts from Padgett are incomprehensible to me as well.  I do like the AACA acronym though...try typing Antique Automobile Club Of America, Inc. all day long! :) 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

The question in the original post is answered best by Jack above.  Pretty simple, in a forum dedicated to antique cars the simpler and plainer makes total sense.  Those of us that do not use acronyms every day as common language simply will not understand some posts.  I consider myself reasonably educated and have to admit that many posts from Padgett are incomprehensible to me as well.  I do like the AACA acronym though...try typing Antique Automobile Club Of America, Inc. all day long! :) 

Just a tad more to it than that though. Statements like these tell me it's something more;

BTW I often use creative spelling as a canary trap.

Calling people who react to his statements his glee club. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pfeil said:

Just a tad more to it than that though. Statements like these tell me it's something more;

"BTW I often use creative spelling as a canary trap".

Calling people who react to his statements his "glee club". 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

. . . I took a typing class as a senior in high school . . . Looking back one of the most useful classes I took in high school.

Ditto.

 

Typing was a required class for everyone one year at my junior high school. Hated it at the time as I can definitely have fumble fingers. But looking back it was probably the most useful class I ever had in that school. It certainly helped in the 40 years I spent in software development.

 

I think I am too old to learn to be efficient typing on a smartphone with my thumbs like I see the younger folk do.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

While this topic, like so many others here recently, has not much, if anything to do with (antique) cars, here’s some of my observations/points regarding it:

 

As someone born and raised 5000+ miles away from my current life with no “formal” education (beyond 8th grade), including English language, and having travelled (with a shoe string budget) good part of the globe in my younger years/decades, I always or as often as possible try to be mindful that anything/everything I post on public forums/internet can and will likely be read in any & every parts of the world by unknown number of individuals who may not be fluent in English or the topic being discussed, but perhaps have interested and are trying to learn more, perhaps both.

 

I know following will earn/get me some flak or worse, but I’ve always found it curious how prevalent the lack of reasonably legible or comprehensible writing is among those with English language being their first, native and perhaps only they’ve received education for.

One could almost expect to see noticeable improvements among individuals spending more time posting/reading on the internet or its forums, but ...

 

OTOH, I hear same from many of my colleagues and friends from other parts of the world, when discussing the lack of comprehension or decline of (their) native languages in this globally interconnected world we all live now, especially through our fingertips and “common” or “shared” language.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TTR said:

I know following will earn/get me some flak or worse, but I’ve always found it curious how prevalent the lack of reasonably legible or comprehensible writing is among those with English language being their first, native and perhaps only they’ve received education for.

One could almost expect to see noticeable improvements among individuals spending more time posting/reading on the internet or its forums, but ...

 

Back in the late '60s or early '70s, many colleges in this country began offering "remedial" courses in subjects that should have been mastered in order to receive a high school diploma.  At that point, I figured that we had "lost the handle" on public education.  I think that the use of acronyms and the deterioration of English language skills can be attributed to the so-called short hand language of the social media.  Pungtooaishun an spilling hav gon to hil.

 

Cheers,

Grog

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

probably one of the most common used at work is SWAG, what the engineering department is good for ;)

which in our application and use means "Scientific Wild Arse Guess"

funny thing if you google it you get various applications, like "Stuff We All Get" as in marketing media :o 

 

 

and if you just a want to have fun, type in random acronyms and see what you get here: ALLACRONYMS.com SWAG has 107 entries

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, capngrog said:

 

Back in the late '60s or early '70s, many colleges in this country began offering "remedial" courses in subjects that should have been mastered in order to receive a high school diploma.  At that point, I figured that we had "lost the handle" on public education.  I think that the use of acronyms and the deterioration of English language skills can be attributed to the so-called short hand language of the social media.  Pungtooaishun an spilling hav gon to hil.

 

Cheers,

Grog

 

 

 

 

 

 

My wife, born and raised in California, with 30+ year career as a high school teacher, has told me it goes further back than "social media" era. 

And ironically, wif automathecal spilling zek, one would expect things to "improve", rite ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

A   CHMSL  (Corporate High Mount Stop Lamp) was mandated by FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) in 1980.

 

Actually I believe the correct nomenclature is Center High Mounted Stop Light

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

WTF means "We'll Talk Friday" ?

 

I guess it could, but that is not what I was thinking, 

 

4 hours ago, JACK M said:

But how about English ??

I understand that the best. est

 

AMEN!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TTR said:

And ironically, wif automathecal spilling zek, one would expect things to "improve", rite ?

Those who rely on autocorrect are often in for surprises if they don't proofread what they've typed. I don't like it. I also dislike having to turn it off everytime I type anything.

 

I'm guilty as anyone on acronyms and abbreviation. That said, the utility industry was second only to the military in its use of acronyms. If you took a week off, when you returned to work (RTW) there were almost always new ones to figure out. If you asked what the new one meant, you'd get laughed out of whatever stupid meeting you were stuck in. Never mind the jargon-crazed had learned it themselves only the day before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Those who rely on autocorrect are often in for surprises if they don't proofread what they've typed. I don't like it. I also dislike having to turn it off everytime I type anything.

 

I'm guilty as anyone on acronyms and abbreviation. That said, the utility industry was second only to the military in its use of acronyms. If you took a week off, when you returned to work (RTW) there were almost always new ones to figure out. If you asked what the new one meant, you'd get laughed out of whatever stupid meeting you were stuck in. Never mind the jargon-crazed had learned it themselves only the day before.

And that in my mind is a lack of communication.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be off topic, but I have enjoyed reading this, even though I came into it late.

 

To be PC (politically correct) with your PC (personal computer), one should recognize that using acronyms is usually confusing unless one is in a specific environment where they are specifically known and expected. 

And by the way, I grew up in a household where dad was an electronics engineer way back. To me? "PC" will ALWAYS mean "printed circuit".

 

I also remember when a wag was a colloquialism for a nosey neighbor lady. It is still referred to by Webster as a gossip in one of the lesser definitions.

 

Also by the way, padgett, I generally enjoy your posts and rarely have trouble following them. So, yes, please keep posting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CarlLaFong said:

FWIW (not a true acronym} This is, perhaps the most OT, meaningless. non antique car related thread ever. What a complete waste of bandwidth. I'm out.

 

THIS!

(best reply to the entire thread)

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well , I find this heartfelt thread very relevant. Our second most prolific contributor, opens himself up , actually invites constructive criticism in order to be a more effective member. This is a mark of great modesty, and self assurance. Takes no offense to a light roasting here. Sure, a number of us are a bit confounded by him from time to time. I am frequently in that situation. The gentleman realizes this, and seeks to improve things. No defensive, self serving cynicism, just honest consideration for his fellow forum members. What a really wonderful guy; enthusiastic,  experienced, car lover, cat lover, etc. However , as we know , he is challenged in his auditory capabilities. So he asks us to help  him with his communication. His world must be lonelier , all else equal, than those of us who take our world of banter, babble, and routine discourse for granted. No wonder his printed post count is so remarkably high. I , for one , salute padgett for asking us to help him help us to understand him better. Padgett, please forgive me if I have made any impertinent assumptions here. I just empathize , and appreciate all your daily contributions. AACA would be diminished by your absence.                  See what I mean regarding our friend , please, all ?     -     Carl 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely agree with our Cadillac friend! How can a valued poster wanting to improve his communication skills for here not be relevant? Anyone inviting potential criticism in order to improve himself should be greatly admired.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys would be great prisoner of war interrogators. In the end you'd be giving the prisoners the keys.

😪

He's got you guys where he wants you. Quoting one of his lines.  "BTW I often use creative spelling as a canary trap". 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

so in regards to understanding English best... guess we are referring to American English vs the Queens English ?? 

 

and not sure many if any speak proper English anymore, wonder if they actually study it anymore ?? we had to every year we were in school all the way to the twelfth grade !! that was probably one of the toughest classes i had, but i aced them all :) then 2 more years in college.

 

man how i miss Schoolhouse Rock! on Saturday morning !! catchy little jingles and phrases that helped you remember things, I actually bought the DVD for my kids years ago and they loved them, i just chuckled every time i heard them randomly singing one of the songs... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries padgett... before long you'll be forced to spell it out regardless. 

;)  

 

Now acronyms are racist – Why Evolution Is True

 

After going through the decision of the San Francisco Unified School District’s (SFUSD, note that it’s an ACRONYM!) to rename 44 public schools, the article gets down to business:

The district’s arts department has decided to change its name, “VAPA” (visual and performing arts) to “SFUSD Arts Department” because they say “acronyms are a symptom of white supremacy culture,” reports ABC7

“The use of so many acronyms within the educational field often tends to alienate those who may not speak English to understand the acronym,” Sam Bass, Director of the SFUSD Arts Department, explained in a letter to the station.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

No worries padgett... before long you'll be forced to spell it out regardless. 

;)

 

Now acronyms are racist – Why Evolution Is True

 

After going through the decision of the San Francisco Unified School District’s (SFUSD, note that it’s an ACRONYM!) to rename 44 public schools, the article gets down to business:

The district’s arts department has decided to change its name, “VAPA” (visual and performing arts) to “SFUSD Arts Department” because they say “acronyms are a symptom of white supremacy culture,” reports ABC7

“The use of so many acronyms within the educational field often tends to alienate those who may not speak English to understand the acronym,” Sam Bass, Director of the SFUSD Arts Department, explained in a letter to the station.

 

 

 

 

 

Good heavens!

The sheer idiocy of this is just cringe-worthy.

Even the most primitive tribes and/or animals on the planet will evolve and adapt to a new situation that changes their known environment.

 

turtle1.jpg.43349f9fe858950d8d6370bc776a98d6.jpg

 

Admittedly some do adapt easier than others.

 

2010157635_turtledog.jpg.ff45b58e9a2200283974806387a7b07a.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2021 at 4:52 PM, Larry Schramm said:

Actually I believe the correct nomenclature is Center High Mounted Stop Light

Actually Larry- I think you are right.  It's been a long time since I sat in a platform timing meeting where stuff like that was discussed.

 

Besides- it makes sense...   if you don't think about it...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is one determined turtle and one ignoramus dog.

 

Even with air holes in his can, that dog has a problem that far outweighs some nincompoop school administrator's problem with acronyms. Besides, last time I checked the education world is loaded with them too. I took PSAT's and SAT's, and struggled to maintain a decent GPA while learning in an AP curriculum using SRS guidelines...

 

Yes, Mr Clower had it right. Sometimes people are educated WAA-AAAY past their intelligence and are, frighteningly, in the role of educating others.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was in the Marines, I was in charge of writing battalion orders from directives issued by HQMC (Headquarters, Marine Corps.). My first one came back from the colonel's desk stamped in big red capital letters, "UNA." Confused, I called the colonel's 'secretary'. UNA means, Use No Abbreviations!

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 0001 said:

I walked away from this forum for a period of time then drifted back mostly as a "read only" member, largely due to irrelevant threads such as this and the arguing among self proclaimed experts on subjects that the answer would be simple to research and yet most of the experts arguing don't actually know what they're talking about. Don't believe me? Search this forum for:  "what oil...", "ethanal in old cars...", or anything tire related and see what you get. Whatever you do, don't ask a simple question like "what's the proper points gap for my 60 Buick Nailhead?", unless you have hours to sort through off topic submissions, stories of the band camp counselors cool car in 1952 and the Ford that someone you don't know drove to prom in 1986, not to mention a couple experts fighting over the proper way to measure the point gap that they never actually tell the original poster what it is.

 

FWIW, I don't like the acronyms either. There's a lot of good stuff here but this SNAFU thread has pushed the forum to the point of FUBAR. Now I'll sit back and await the flaming that I'm likely to receive for my observations. BOHICA!

 

If  you are of the above opinion (which I can understand and respect), why in the world are you wasting your valuable time reading the posts of this thread ... much less bothering to post?

 

Personally, I enjoy the spirited discussions (not arguments) of the members of this Forum, most of whom are much more knowledgeable on the subject of old, classic, collectible, errr, ummm interesting vehicles, than am I.  I find the General Discussion Forum to be both entertaining and frequently informative.  If I find a particular thread to be uninteresting or inane, I just move on to something more to my liking.

 

Cheers,

Grog

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All of this goes right over my head. If you're trying to communicate with me, you'll have to speak my language, otherwise, I'm going to be forced to ignore what I don't understand. You can use acronyms or whatever, just know I have no idea what you've said. As someone has already posted, all acronyms or letter abbreviations of words, take on the personal meaning of the poster and can have multiple definitions. Spelling, or misspelling, can also be challenging.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, 0001 said:

Fact, not opinion.

You're right, it was a waste of time. I attempted to bring awareness to the fact that many threads (including this one) turn into multiple pages of irrelevant and off topic reminiscing that leaves the original poster who asked a question hanging. This helps no one. It happens a lot, I can't tell if the people that do it are oblivious of their actions or just don't care.

But you also have tons of threads where the original poster never returns.  That bothers me more than stuff like this.  Either way, they aren’t concerning really.  There are other things to worry about.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AHa said:

All of this goes right over my head. If you're trying to communicate with me, you'll have to speak my language, otherwise, I'm going to be forced to ignore what I don't understand. You can use acronyms or whatever, just know I have no idea what you've said. As someone has already posted, all acronyms or letter abbreviations of words, take on the personal meaning of the poster and can have multiple definitions. Spelling, or misspelling, can also be challenging.

 

That is why I do not trade derivatives.  Don't really understand them. 

 

I only trade what I know about and that includes cars & trucks.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Am reading all and learning from it.

 

On the other hand (OTOH) am afraid some are ingrained in the way I think, just back when Google (remember a presentation by some guys pitching a new search engine at DEFCON in Vegas) got started there were easy lookups for most of the terms I use, my favorite militaryisn I used a lot was UNODIR (unless otherwise directed) followed by what I planned to do.

 

And on the gripping hand  (see below)part of the reason stayed with the same defense contractor for 35 years was that after a while I did not have to explain what I was doing to people lacking the background to understand.

 

Problem is that how something is done has gotten complicated. For instance in response to an earlier question I just set points with a matchbook cover. However these days I get "what's a matchbook ?"

 

ps "A ternary logic used when you are dealing with three equally unpleasant alternatives rather than two; the third (gripping) hand being dominant or determinative."

 

MBATR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 0001 said:

Fact, not opinion.

You're right, it was a waste of time. I attempted to bring awareness to the fact that many threads (including this one) turn into multiple pages of irrelevant and off topic reminiscing that leaves the original poster who asked a question hanging. This helps no one. It happens a lot, I can't tell if the people that do it are oblivious of their actions or just don't care.

 

Thank you for making my point.

 

Cheers,

Grog

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...