Need ID of this Car....Please!

52MGTDR

This is the car of a Family member obtained through genealogy research. It's location is Hubbel Michigan and I expect that the photo was taken of A. L. Burgans new car in the 1920's sometime. I have looked at many cars but cannot find a match. There are octagonal shaped headlight bezels on this car if that helps. I would like to know, year, make and model if possible.

New car in front of A L Burgan house.jpg

Mark and Wayne,

You guys are a couple of car detectives. These 1920's cars are so similar that seeing the very small differences between them takes a trained eye. You guys nailed it. The 1916-1920 Haynes Light Twelve Touring Car was a very close match to this car and it would have fooled me but the Cole is a dead match. Interesting that both cars had the little lights that look light turn signals, very few 1920's cars have those. The car emblem is a shield like shape and the Haynes has that. The Cole has a sharp edge on the hood on the side where the curved top meets the flat side, that is a dead ringer for the Cole. 1920 Cole it is!

Thanks!

Richard Burgan (52MGTDR)

• Like 1

Those headlamps have always interested me. But I know very little about them. I do know that there were several companies that offered something very similar to those as an option, or for a couple years as a standard feature on a few models. One large over one small light headlamps came in a variety of sizes. Packard I think used some rather large ones? I remember about fifty years ago, visiting with Jack Passey (a friend of my dad's). A sad story, Jack had returned from Hershey about a week earlier. and several very well packed boxes he had shipped parts home in had just arrived. One of the boxes had somehow been badly damaged  (it looked like a steel rod had lanced through the box!), and one of the two beautiful matching similar lamps (in a smaller size) had been nearly destroyed. Seems to me that Jack said they were "Liberty lamps"? Whether for the Liberty automobile or Liberty was the maker of the lamps I didn't know. 

I have seen similar lamps on several other cars from time to time.

And why did I recognize the Cole? A good friend has had one for quite a few years now, very similar to the one in the OP photo. I have had the pleasure of touring alongside and following him on club outings several times. A really fine automobile that Cole!

• Like 1

Check out the subforum Our Cars & Restoration Projects.  I have a thread on the 1919 Cole roadster and 1920 Cole touring car identical to the one in question, which I'm presently restoring.  And yes, the smaller lights are somewhat like parking lights.

1919 Cole Aero 8 Roadster.JPG

1920 Cole Aero 8 7-Passenger Touring Car.jpg

Edited by George Cole (see edit history)
  • Like 3