Have you ever seen one of these? 1996 Toyota Classic on eBay

I had to look at it a couple of times, then again. Still cant make a judgement. Guess its ok for what it is, maybe if I had a barn full of cars that I like this would be an interesting add on.

Seems to be on a Hi-Lux (pick up) chassis. Didn't Top Gear try to destroy one and failed ? Just the thing to take to a Palm Beach party.

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

not feeling the love.

1 hour ago, bryankazmer said:

I recall these being introduced.  The Airflow grill is pretty well done, but it suffers from the same proportion imbalance as a PT Cruiser

I suspect this Toyota was the inspiration for the PT Cruiser, as it came a few years earlier. I agree with your assessment. Outside of the Thunderbird, 2005 Mustang and maybe a few others, the retro styled cars of the '90 s and early 2000's haven't aged too well (in my humble opinion.) And the brand new Mustang and Camaro don't even look like retro cars anymore.

29 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Would somebody please tell me:

What is stately performance?

How can 4 cylinders & 90 hp deliver any performance?

Aside from that, I like it IF it has Toyota reliability, at about $10-$15 grand.

George no idea what 90 HP stately performance in a Toyota means but in my 38 State Commander Studebaker in means a great daily driver than runs well at 60 mph and gets 12 mpg!  It was the Art Deco car of the year in 38!  
dave s

I've never seen one in person, but I do remember the announcement in some automotive magazines.  It was a 60th Anniversary tribute the Toyoda AA.

Craig

And the new pony cars can be over 4,000 lbs.

BTW particularly now as redlines vary so much have always felt the torque rating was more important than HP which is a derivative anyway.

On 2/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, George Smolinski said:

Would somebody please tell me:

What is stately performance?

How can 4 cylinders & 90 hp deliver any performance?

Aside from that, I like it IF it has Toyota reliability, at about $10-$15 grand.

I think that "stately performance" could be described as smooth and slow.  As to the term "performance", there are certain levels.  For example, my performance in high school would have been labeled "poor", whereas, the class valedictorian's would have been labeled "outstanding".  In my opinion, 4 cylinders & 90 hp would deliver "poor" performance ... unless it was in a shifter go kart.

Cheers,

Grog

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Have you ever seen one of these? 1996 Toyota Classic on eBay

Thanks to the forum administrator for making

the topic clearer.  It will also make it easier for

people to find later, if they're searching for that

unusual car.

And thanks to Xander for pointing out a car

which, I'm surprised, I never even heard of.

Here's one of the pictures for future reference,

since the Ebay listing won't be up forever:

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

So a bad copy of a bad copy of an ugly car? Built on a Japanese pickup truck chassis? And this is supposed to be desirable how?

kinda sounds like the formula for the average rod

Stately brings visions more than performance.

Like a stately mansion or maybe an old rich person

Stately performance? I would think big and smooth? Doesn't mean much I guess.

My dictionary says-

Majestic, imposing in magnificence.

42 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

i could have gone through the rest of my life, without seeing this toyota, certainly have no desire to see it again.

It's a car of beauty compared to the Will-Vi!  https://global.toyota/en/detail/7913281

https://www.auto-data.net/en/toyota-will-vi-1.3-i-16v-88hp-3916                 https://www.autoweb.co.uk/classified/2000-toyota-will-vi-1-3-3999

Craig

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

the ONLY toyota that still is a thing of beauty and a automotive work of art, is the Toyota 2000GT, PERIOD

14 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

the ONLY toyota that still is a thing of beauty and a automotive work of art, is the Toyota 2000GT, PERIOD

The first 1971-'72 Celica hardtops were also very nice, before they got the big ugly 5-mph bumpers.  

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched a video on youtube that showed Checker Taxi cabs out of the 40's. They are really different looking in the front end. Anybody have one. Has one ever been on your show field? 

On 2/4/2021 at 10:43 AM, 1912Staver said:

I also have a liking for the weird but strangely appealing , 4th generation Crown. 1971 - 74. They look like something the Human hero would drive in a Godzilla movie.

I do like those as well, especially the hardtop, but I also like the station wagon in addition to the hardtop.    They were not trying to copy an American design and scale it down with that version compared to the 3rd generation Crown.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

I don't love it but I don't have the same disdain for it that others here seem to have.

And being as it is on a Hi-Lux truck chassis, even if it were driven every day, it will last longer than anyone on this board will.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:00 PM, 8E45E said:

I do like those as well, especially the hardtop, but I also like the station wagon in addition to the hardtop.    They were not trying to copy an American design and scale it down with that version compared to the 3rd generation Crown.

Craig

That generation Crown was just what came to my mind; I had the chance to own one (probably for free) and missed. Those cars have a Chrysler/AMC vibe that would really have folks at the local Dairy Queen show scratching their heads if you de-badged it.

The "Classic"? I don't hate it, and like the Crown it could be a great novelty but only at the right price. I suspect someone is out that will pay.