DA Headlight assembly TWOLITE

I seem to be making hard work of this, so time to ask.

Trying to assemble the TWOLITE headlights. I assume there should be a cork gasket between the glass lens and the reflector. How thick should it be. Should I use strips or a circle of cork that extends out into the headlight rim, to restrict the movement of the metal ring that clamps the rim on?

Any suggestions appreciated.

John 

9 hours ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

I seem to be making hard work of this, so time to ask.

Trying to assemble the TWOLITE headlights. I assume there should be a cork gasket between the glass lens and the reflector. How thick should it be. Should I use strips or a circle of cork that extends out into the headlight rim, to restrict the movement of the metal ring that clamps the rim on?

Any suggestions appreciated.

John 

The cork should fill the groove in the reflector, so about 1/8" thick.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the gasket advice.

I thought I should let you all know the outcome, which is that the gaskets were only part of the problem. I made a number of gaskets of various thicknesses, widths and types before I convinced myself that I had the optimum, but still the lens and rim would not fit correctly.

I should mention that the headlights came from a friend many years ago. They had previously been fitted to his DeSoto, so we did a swap so that we each ended up with the correct lights. He is no longer with us, so I could not now query him, but I got them in a dismantled state. They had been replated and although not perfect, I thought they were OK.

So, the first revelation was that I was working on the one that did not fit, the other one went together quite well after a bit of fiddling. That meant that I now had something to compare the crook one with.

Well, the band that holds the rim to the bucket needed bending to get it to fit properly as well as grinding of a couple of “lumps”.

It was obvious that the rim had been worked on when the chroming was done, although the visible side looked OK. I eventually realised it was not quite round, the lens was not seating fully. Some bending and twisting eventually got that OK, without damaging the chrome too much.

But it still did not fit properly. After lots of measuring and comparing with other rims, I realised that the part of the rim that contacts the lens was not uniform and in places was not allowing the lens to sit far enough into the rim. Using another headlight bucket I had, I worked out a way to mark the rim with a wide marking pen to determine what parts stood proud. By then I had worked out that I had another good spare rim (that needs chroming), so had nothing to lose in attacking the crook one with a flap disk on the angle grinder. This of course means that there is no chrome on the lip that contacts the lens, but you can’t see it and I coated the bare metal with some lacquer I had on hand. I will get the spare chromed eventually and if the one I have fitted gives a problem in the future, replace it.

So it’s finally gone together OK.

Man, that was a frustrating job spread over a couple of weeks, very glad it’s behind me.

John

• Like 1