Newbie old dude from MO

Ohjai

Hello, I will be 82 in a couple of weeks, and think I want to relive my past.  When my wife and I got married in 1960, her Dad gave us a 53 Buick Specials.  I got out of the Air Force, worked in St Louis for a few months then to Nebraska to work on Atlas Missile sites.  In August 1960 we were living in Beatrice, the job was ending, we were moving to California.  I traded in the 53 for a brand spanning new 1962 Buick Skylark.  That car served us well until an accident sent it to the scrap yard.  Five years later we purchased a brand new 1973 Buick Regal.  Had that car for several years.

Fast forward to today, I have been collecting cars since 2010, mostly Rolls-Royce and Bentleys until last May when I purchased a 1941 Cadillac Series 60S.  I have sold my 2 Bentleys and 3 Rolls, have two more I will sell shortly.  Since I have been selling off cars, my interest has shifted to Cadillac and Buick.

I think I want a white 1962 Skylark and will start my search for one of these.  Also on Bring-a-Trailer there is a 1955 Roadmaster that has me drooling.

If any of you have suggestions of what to look for and look out for your advice is greatly appreciated.

Jim

• Like 3

Thanks for getting back to me John.  I turn 82 in a few days, don't want any major projects, might not live long enough to finish them.  I just made a tentative deal over the phone for a 38 Cadillac, now I am on the hunt for a white 62 Skylark, similar to my first brand new car.  It appears my days of cross country touring has been halted, so my plans are to tour Missouri and Illinois more leisurely.  In the past I did a majority of the repairs on my Rolls, but my energy level is not what it once was.

• Like 1

First off, Happy Birthday!  Next, I like your plans.  A leisurely tour of your State and a few others would be fun to watch.  I hope you find what you are looking for and can tour every inch of those beautiful States!  

As for what to watch for, be careful of a 62 Skylark or Special with an aluminum V8 engine.  Many are still running and running strong.  Many others are a nightmare trying to get corroded steel bolts out of the aluminum without major damage. 

• Like 1

John, does it help if you use anti-seize when replacing bolts?

How about using a penetrating solution on the bolts before attempting to remove them?

I do not know.  For dead end bolts it could be effective.  But you have to be careful of bolts that may go into the water jacket. I am not certain there are any on that 215 cu in engine but there are some on the larger cast iron 300 and 340 and 350. Those bolts will need sealer and i dont know how well sealer and antiseize play together. 

• Like 1

Welcome from me also, to the forum. I've rather liked the first gen compact Skylarks as well, but never owned one. Yes, there are definite issues with those engines, and there is a certain amount of support for them available, otherwise they make good runners in those cars. As you likely know, Rover used that engine after GM sold it to them, for many years, with various improvements along the way.

Keith

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Ohjai, 

there is a Facebook group dedicated to 61-63 Special and Skylark owners, restorers and modifiers. They also list their cars for sale from time to time.

There are also a few for sale on car sales sites that have been there for some time but worth a look. The interest in these is starting to grow so tis a good time to get involved!

Good luck in your searches!

cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

• 6 months later...

Thanks Roadhog.  I did see it.  I posted on the forum in another thread that I purchased a 62 Skylark Convertible in July.  I am now reliving a part of my past.

Jim

20210623_134212.jpg

• Like 4