survey??

ted sweet

7 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

But for me to feel safe about going, a lot more people are going to have to be vaccinated. 
I hope we have shows this summer.

There'd be a lot more people vaccinated in say early October....    never understood the BCA's predilection for gathering a bunch of senior citizens together on black tops in heat stroke week of July.... jus sayin  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

never understood the BCA's predilection for gathering a bunch of senior citizens together on black tops in heat stroke week of July

I agree wholeheartedly October would be much better for the seniors among us but I think the BCA likes July as it easier for families with school age children to attend.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

I agree wholeheartedly October would be much better for the seniors among us but I think the BCA likes July as it easier for families with school age children to attend.

I hear ya but I've always wondered just how real that scenario is and which is most important to consider... I'll just  never forget helping my ol' friend Bob Coker make it into the hospitality room in Concord and silently praying we'd make it.

as the EMS van loads up another one

702935770_Screenshot2021-01-31095112.png.f1ebbc2a19dae9216832c697bc585f6d.png

OK, I'll get off my soap box now, sorry for the highjack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• MrEarl changed the title to survey??

Just my observation and opinion: don't believe there are that many BCA members that can't attend an annual meet due to kids in school (grandkids maybe!); am more worried about traveling through states that may require quarantining out of state drivers passing through, along with rest areas/gas stations not being available.  BCA meets in October might/should be considered for 2021 and beyond.  Certainly for 2021 many more folks will have received their vaccine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me, the survey was not too clear.  I had been considering attending both with a relaxing drive between Concord and Strongsville, but there was no question mentioning attending both.  For me, I have not yet made a Registration, but have hotel reservations.

As some of you know, I have been working toward a National Meet in Gettysburg, PA in 2024, so a delay in 2021, may set some shifting in events for 2022 and 2023, OR NOT, should 2021 just be cancelled.  Big question, just how far can the push-forward be continued.  Personally, at age 84, I will be fully vaccinated by mid-February.  But the big thing in 2021 may well be a well restricted event, making it not much FUN. As plans are for mid-west and west coast the next two years, I am hoping we can still have 2024 in Gettysburg.  We will make sure that will be a classy event on the east coast, making up (as best possible) for the losses of the events in Concord and Strongsville.  

Meantime, keep wearing your masks, get your shots, or shots, and stay safe.

John Scheib

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

(I'm not planning on being at the 2021 meets, so you can choose to dismiss my comments, as I don't have a car in that parade)

Timing of the BCA National Meets, regarding "historic" comments.  When we were trying to schedule the first two meets our N TX chapter did, there was definite concern of the school year for many attendees.  Which meant that their kids came with them, either with parents or grand-parents.  Which limits the timing to the summer "out of school" months, which can vary with the locale of the residents.  Hence, July is the safest month to try to schedule things in.  This can be important as younger/future BCA members are said to be sought.

When I was at the Flint meeet in the later 1980s, I was in much better shape than I am now (at that time, I normally ran intervals for 5-6 miles/day, even in the TX summer heat of 100 degrees F).  I was walking across the swap meet (black asphalt, ambient temp 80 degrees, sunny day).  I saw an older guy at his swap meet space, sweat beaded on his forehead.  First time I'd ever seen that, having heard of it for many years.  I also heard natives adminishing their friends "Get out of the heat before your brain fries!".  All things considered, I found that very amusing, but they were very serious.  As I was in much better physical condition back then, I had no issues with the temperature at that meet, or any other large car meet I usually attended, even in August in OH, back then.  At the present time, I have very little of that endurance left, for several reasons, although I desire to regain some of it to have a better life.

I highly suspect that a large majority of BCA members are in at least ONE high-risk group to get vaccinated.  Then comes the issues of just how soon these populations CAN actually get the vaccine into themselves.  Quarantining of out-of-state visitors can be a concern, too.  Once when they get to their destination and possibly again when they return home?

I fully realize that many of us have varying degrees of activities that can be participated in, as our ages progress.  Which the planning operatives would need to plan and compensate for.  These issues would not all be unique to the time of year of the event.

There are still some months before the meets will happen this year.  In preparation, y'all might start getting in better shape to better enjoy the meets and all of the walking involved.  How?  If possible, starting to walk around, working up to a continuous 30 minutes at a time.  Then progress upward to 1 hour, as your progress might permit.  Eat "healthier" with fewer carbohydrates, refined sugars (of ALL incognito forms!), with 2K-5K of Vitamin D3 and other immunity-boosting supplements.  Reduce stress and smile more, too.  Proceed at your own risk and consult a medical professional first!  In other words, get YOURSELVES in shape to attend the meet, just as you would for the Buicks you intend to drive to the meets!  IF possible.

Mr. Earl, I'm sure that Mr. Coker appreciated your assistance at that meet very much.  Thanks for watching out for him.

Each month of the more-middle time of the year has its own unique side-issues to consider, unique to the location of the meet.  Many of which can still result in a June-to-August timeframe.  ALSO not seeking to conflict with some other high-level car events in the process!  Even so, some weeks at the start and end of that time segment can still interfere with public or university schooling schedules . . . for some younger members/offspring of BCA members who might consider attending the BCA National Meet.

LOTS of things to consider when seeking to plan for a major car event and WHO might be interested in attending it!  Many might consider only themselves, as others might get excluded in the process.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

All above comments i have to say ALL are valid points 

I guess the important thing right now is to get the info back to the BCA so they can make their decisions.

A good way the BCA might look at things(they are probably doing it already) to review might be Date/Location/Attendance factors and see what affects what.

My children attended with my wife and i and we made a vacation out of it. (example Buffalo Nat. the family all went to Niagara Falls) so we made the best out of it, and everyone was happy, and my young son at the time was introduced to a long line of Reatta's and he and my younger daughter participated in the youth judging, now she is putting dibs on my pace car lol. so i feel the summer is a better time to have it.
Lets face it if all goes well, this year should be better than last year, BUT it is still going to be a very complicated year.

That is why for this year our LI Chapter show which is normally in May is "Tentatively" being scheduled for September 5.

the most important thing is to stay safe so we can all see each other down the road.

Marty

Edited by MRJBUICK (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 8:33 AM, 1937-44 said:

How many families go?  Maybe consider a fall national meet once every 4 years.  Rates for motels and events are usually lower after "high" season. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 9:55 AM, old-tank said:

The meet is one thing, getting there is another.  My 1200 mile trip will (hopefully) have  fuel availability, but depending on restrictions there may not be easy to find accommodations or dining.

Willie,

As a business traveler for the past 10 years, I travel and stay in motels at least 50 to 75% of my work week, I can say you will find motels and gas stations. During the height of the pandemic and riots I was issued a critical worker pass as my company was installing lab equipment that automated Covid tests then performed the tests. I always found nice motels but no Continental breakfasts.  During the riots with curfews I could not get to Walmart for breakfast items. 

Now I can easily get rooms and gas but am limited to take out for food.  I think BCA travelers will be OK. 

On 1/31/2021 at 1:01 PM, dship said:

Just my observation and opinion: don't believe there are that many BCA members that can't attend an annual meet due to kids in school (grandkids maybe!); am more worried about traveling through states that may require quarantining out of state drivers passing through, along with rest areas/gas stations not being available.  BCA meets in October might/should be considered for 2021 and beyond.  Certainly for 2021 many more folks will have received their vaccine.  

My daughter participated in viewing and helped me host the wash stand in 2010. I was 46 though and we started our family late. There are always going to be people unhappy with decisions but I love car shows in the crisp Iowa October days. Highs in the midwest are typically 60 to 68, low humidity- usually plenty of sun. 

7 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

How many families go?

I can't answer that as I don't have any children and never paid much attention. 

That being said perhaps that is something the Buick Club needs to work on. What happens to our hobby when all us old folks can no longer participate? Do we care, after all we won't be around. Wait, we want to add membership.  Wonder where that new membership will come from besides the people who buy new Buicks? 

I belong to another national auto club that has a lot of families attend the national meet. I personally know many second generation  members who are bringing their children to the national meet (admittedly the meet is in late August early September) and some third generation members that own and bring cars. The club has a core of "family" whether we are related or not, the interest in the cars are just what brought us together. At the national meet their is a mini club for the children with activities for the little ones on up. The children draw pictures of the cars, go around looking at the cars and even pick their favorite car. When they start getting older they are encouraged to go along with the official judging teams to learn what is correct and what isn't correct. But then the clubs are drastically different as one is a meet and the other is a reunion.

Perhaps there is a compromise. Late Spring to late summer when children are out of school. Families can attend and the weather won't be as hard on us old folks. Personally it doesn't really matter to me as I'm a lot like good old W.C.F. "Get away kid, you bother me".

Edited by 1937-44 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

But then the clubs are drastically different as one is a meet and the other is a reunion.

Pardon me, but I have to ask, which one to you consider a "meet" and which one is the "reunion".  I believe a lot of members would consider a Buick National Meet as also a reunion.

John 

Just my two cents, but AACA Hershey is in October. I know a lot of us go there. Not sure if another October event would be well attended. As far as bringing kids to the events, I have always brought my daughter and a friend or her cousins to the meets. Don't discount the fact that families do come to the meets.

Edited by Den41Buick
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The first BCA National Meet in 78 or 79 I attended I was either ignored or once was yelled at for standing to close to a car even though I was showing respect by having one hand cover my belt buckle and the other holding my hat behind me as I admired a 1937 Buick from a close distance without touching as I owned a 37. Now that I'm "older" I'm accepted. Hardly what I considered a warm welcome and left a vivid memory. The BCA has a Meet that embraces old farts like myself.

When I attended the ACD Reunion in 86 for the first time I was welcomed  even though I didn't have a car.  After a couple years I realized why the ACD National Reunion is considered a Reunion and not a meet and why I will continue to attend whether I have an ACD car or not like many other members.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

Just my two cents, but AACA Hershey is in October. I know a lot of us go there. Not sure if another October event would be well attended. As far as bringing kids to the events, I have always brought my daughter and a friend or her cousins to the meets. Don't discount the fact that families do come to the meets.

In those years where the meet is scheduled for the west, hold it later.