55 Roadmaster Sedan on BaT

Smartin

Opinions, crituques?  I know we are all really good at picking these cars apart...go for it.  Because I really like this car....talk me out of it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1955-buick-roadmaster-2/

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Smartin said:

....talk me out of it.

That’s a good idea...I have posted things in Facebook Groups so that someone can tear it apart and turn me off on it. Or, maybe someone else just buy it so I don’t!

• Like 1

Yes.  The No Reserve auctions will state that in the title.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Smartin said:

Opinions, crituques?  I know we are all really good at picking these cars apart...go for it.  Because I really like this car....talk me out of it.

I am not an expert on 55s, but I don't see much to not love!  Are you considering going for it?

It’s a reserve auction, so I probably won’t get to their asking price.  But it’s fun to dream, right?

• Like 2

It would take north of $50,000 to restore a car to that extent today--a cost that would be tough to recover on a 4-dr. sedan, so maybe the seller is going to take the fall. It's a beauty, that's for sure! The only thing I question is the white paint on the A/C unit in the trunk--Willie Pittman would know if that's correct or not. 

Kudos to the seller for correctly calling it a "body-off" restoration rather than the normally abused "frame-off". I have yet to see a "frame-off" restoration--seen lots of "body-off-frame" restorations--just a pet peeve.

Nice photo documentation of a wonderful car--seller certainly isn't hiding anything.

Now, talk me out of this one, Adam:  https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/d/chula-vista-1941-graham-paige-hollywood/7266635513.html

Not a Buick, but something I've always admired and wanted, have read extensively about, and this is the most affordable one I've seen in years.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

• Like 3

I don't really care for 4 door cars but this 4 door Buick would be the exception!  Not too many people do a "body off" restoration on a 4 door.

There are two books on A/C that are mentioned by "wmmclin" on the BAT comment section:  "Boy that Air Feels Good" and "Just Needs a Charge" that are pretty interesting. Amazon carry's them and I was able to read little snippets from the various chapters and they're pretty interesting!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yeah nothing wrong with this ride for sure ... but as I have stated many times before BAT is not the place to market this car.  Have yet to see but a small fraction of a handful of many classics that have even approached their true value hemisphere on BAT with a reserve.  Most that do move are no reserve estate sales that the administrator or executor has to dump fast.  The low hanging fruit catching  flippers are there and all to eager.  But list a Ferrari factory tool kit or a set of RUF porsche speed line wheels or a over modified 4x4 or their favorite a shiny euro job and watch the action go out of the park.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 7:33 PM, Pete Phillips said:

Kudos to the seller for correctly calling it a "body-off" restoration rather than the normally abused "frame-off". I have yet to see a "frame-off" restoration--seen lots of "body-off-frame" restorations--just a pet peeve.

Reminds me of one of my biggest peeves - referring to entire wheels as rims.  It alwaya makes me want to give a smart-a$$ reply such as, "don't you want the entire wheel?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a really nice car and looks looks like in the 80's it much have been a really successful show car by the AACA national award badges on the grill.  I will note there appears to be a color mismatch on the right side between the quarter and the door 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

well while I'm waiting on the biscuits in the oven to get done and the garage to warm up ....

Restoration looks pretty damn correct to me, lot of small details that are often missed were done and done well. Being more familiar with 54's, I just have a couple things I'd question of the 55 owners here...

Is that the correct power seat controls, the 54's 4 way are a toggle type switch

Question the heater/defroster control bezels in chrome, shouldn't they be painted Yea I like the chrome too but.....

Quite a few paint dings in the interior dash and door trim paint pics 81, 112

I'd assume that is the correct Roadmaster seat upholstery pattern

Some beautiful AC tubes in the rear shelf but question the deflector vent mounting on outside of window trim?

Question rear shelf radio speaker grille

Are the trunk side panels correct done in cloth/carpet.  Some stains are obvious in the trunk floor carpet

The trunk lid paper inserts could use some over spray as they were painted same time as lid and paint typically absorbed into them

The AC evaporator box should be gray

Whitewalls are 3" should be 2.5 in 55 me thinks

decal on breather snorkel is oriented wrong and out of place

defroster blower could use an inspection number stamped on it

windshield wiper motor appears to have been converted to electric 57 chevy style

the oil filler tube needs the correct extension on it to bring it over the condenser I have one I'll donate to ya @Smartin

question the hinge color?

the fuel pump could use some over spray on it

obvious bend in lower radiator frame, I have one I'll donate to ya

pic 165, shouldn't the power brake cylinder breather pipe be turned up into the hole in the floor (the hole in the rubber cover is there on purpose, to let it breathe) 

Question the brake backing plate color

question the rear end pumpkin black color

Incorrect front lower shock mounts,  I have a pair I'll donate

possibly some chrome peeling on front bumper? pic 153

What's the resonator looking thing on the end of tail pipe

Those are just some things that jumped out at me, all in all it is a very nice detailed older restoration that had to run into $60-70,000's . Beautiful back to original Dover White over Belfast Green paint. in todays market I expect it goes no sale at around $20,000

@Kosage Chavis check out the correct rear seat speaker switch 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

well while I'm waiting on the biscuits in the oven to get done and the garage to warm up ....

Restoration looks pretty damn correct to me, lot of small details that are often missed were done and done well. Being more familiar with 54's, I just have a couple things I'd question of the 55 owners here...

Is that the correct power seat controls, the 54's 4 way are a toggle type switch

Question the heater/defroster control bezels in chrome, shouldn't they be painted Yea I like the chrome too but.....

Some beautiful AC tubes in the rear shelf but question the deflector vent mounting on outside of window trim?

Are the trunk side panels correct done in cloth/carpet.  Some stains are obvious in the trunk floor carpet

The trunk lid paper inserts could use some over spray as they were painted same time as lid and paint typically absorbed into them

windshield wiper motor appears to have been converted to electric 57 chevy style

the oil filler tube needs the correct extension on it to bring it over the condenser I have one I'll donate to ya @Smartin

pic 165, shouldn't the power brake cylinder breather pipe be turned up into the hole in the floor (the hole in the rubber cover is there on purpose, to let it breathe) 

Those are just some things that jumped out at me, all in all it is a very nice detailed older restoration that had to run into $60-70,000's . Beautiful back to original Dover White over Belfast Green paint. in todays market I expect it goes no sale at around $20,000

Mr. Earl, you are spot on 100%, thank you.

On 1/30/2021 at 7:33 PM, Pete Phillips said:

It would take north of $50,000 to restore a car to that extent today--a cost that would be tough to recover on a 4-dr. sedan, so maybe the seller is going to take the fall. It's a beauty, that's for sure! The only thing I question is the white paint on the A/C unit in the trunk--Willie Pittman would know if that's correct or not. 

Nice photo documentation of a wonderful car--seller certainly isn't hiding anything.

Now, talk me out of this one, Adam:  https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/d/chula-vista-1941-graham-paige-hollywood/7266635513.html

Not a Buick, but something I've always admired and wanted, have read extensively about, and this is the most affordable one I've seen in years.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

the correct paint color for the rear a/c evaporator/fans assembly is gray. i have the identical unit going into my 1953 Pontiac Chieftain Custom Catalina, i removed it from a 1955 Buick Roadmaster Riviera Coupe 23 years ago.

PICT0005.thumb.JPG.f2bb55ee081d7e6b155cb09fffedfe01.jpg

Edited by pontiac1953
picture added. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

the pictures showing the 1955 Buick Roadmaster a/c fresh air scoops location looks correct. those scoops i didn't care for the looks of them, so for my installation of the fresh air a/c scoops for my 1953 Pontiac Chieftain Custom Catalina i chose these a/c fresh air scoops that are shorter in length when compared to 1954-1956 Cadillac scoops but uses the identical Cadillac air scoop chrome grills.

PICT0003.thumb.JPG.6a5764b4606b73186b28670ca67eda46.jpg

Parking brake isn't hooked up.  The equalizer is missing where it connects to the main cable in the center of the car.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 9:59 AM, MrEarl said:

LOL!  It's an honor to know I have made an impression on you, that I will always come to mind when the subject of the rear speaker switch knob comes up.

I'm thinking it will end up in the mid 20's

Adam, what are you going to do with it if you get it?

Trailer to BCA 400 point judging?  Right now it will not make a Silver award...too much damage, warts, incorrect items.

Drive it across the country?  Too much undocumented modifications (torque tube); missing parts (AC compressor braces); old restoration done by poor research and then sitting in a museum.

You better have a passion for that thing...

Hey, I got an idea, lets all load up these comments, especially Willies, onto the BAT comment section and Adam should be able to get it for a song,  wave his magic detailing wand over it and bam, instant AACA senior 😉

Seriously, the car presents beautifully. Considering it is an older restoration hurts the value the most I think but if someone does have a passion for a 1955 Buick Roadmaster in Dover White over Belfast Green then I agree, bidding may well get into the low to mid 20's. I've seen low mileage unrestored 54's go for mid teens so who knows.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, no one has to worry about me bidding on this one now.  Sometime in the next month, I'm driving up to MN to drag an orphan and a parts car home.  So, I imagine the 62 will be on the block as soon as I can get the interior back together.

Car ADD in full force this Winter!

• Like 2

I'm wondering about the body color appearing on this car, identified on the BAT site as Belfast Green -- which is a metallic, while the paint on the car appears to be a solid.  One possible explanation is that in 1952 a Belfast Green was offered by Pontiac; but that color is definitely a solid.  Could it be that the restorers of the '55 ordered Buick Belfast Green but received the earlier Pontiac version instead?  

Buickborn, that's an interesting theory but I don't think so....I actually own a '52 Pontiac Catalina Super Deluxe 8 in Belfast Green, which was the special color for the top of the line car that year, and it is much different than the Roadmaster here.  The Roadmaster is much darker and more green/less blue than the '52 Catalina.

Yeah....that looks nothing like any of the color on the 55 chart.  55 Buick Belfast Green POLY is definitely metallic and darker.

I had a 55 Pontiac here in October that was pretty much this same bright green...but I can't seem to find it on the 55 Pontiac chip chart either.  It was non-metallic, too.

15 hours ago, Buickborn said:

I'm wondering about the body color appearing on this car, identified on the BAT site as Belfast Green -- which is a metallic, while the paint on the car appears to be a solid.  One possible explanation is that in 1952 a Belfast Green was offered by Pontiac; but that color is definitely a solid.  Could it be that the restorers of the '55 ordered Buick Belfast Green but received the earlier Pontiac version instead?  

the green paint on the 1955 Buick Roadmaster, is no relations to the 1952 Pontiac paint color known as belfast green. the Pontiac belfast green has more of a turquoise tint in the green, not the paint this Buick has received which looks more like the Oldsmobile Rocket engine paint color.

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)