COWL VENT REMOVAL 1933 Plymouth PC

The cowl vent is not working. I would like to remove it to repair it. Does anyone Know how to remove it? Will I have to remove the instrument panel to work on the mechanism?

Also does any one have a diagram of the way it works and parts?

Sorry not diagram. It is possible to get the cowl vent in and out but I can’t remember for sure if I needed to remove the instrument cluster for clearance or not. I think not but am unsure. You will want to pull the battery cable off so any slips won’t cause a spark and short.

As I recall, I needed to remove the spring that does the clamping force when closed in order to be able to remove the two screws that hold the whole assembly. And, given the location and leaks over the years, those two screws were pretty rusty and hard to remove.

When you get it back in, you will want a new gasket. I think I got mine from Mitchell’s but maybe it was from Steele. And you will want to make sure the drain hoses (one on each side) are in place otherwise you will have drips on your floor and possibly feet. I was unable to find black rubber hose of the correct diameter so used clear vinyl. It is mostly hidden so not a big deal.

Thanks PLY33, All good info. I think I will remove the instrument panel It looks a lot easier to work on that way. It also loks like a rats nest in there from whoever work on it.

Thanks again.

By the way my drivers side window and luck are finished along with my front floor and seat.

I rebuilt the wood structure on the front seat.

I got the vent open and it looks like the screws that hold it to the mechanism are accessed through the outside. 

There was no screen on the vent. I know there are parts missing. PLY33 mentioned a spring. Can you tell me where it goes.

There is a handle with a headed pin on it that looks like it goes against stationary bracket with a notch in it. 

So I think a spring holds the handle back against the notch. I don't know the size or exactly where the spring goes.

Can anyone answer this or what other parts may be missing.

1 hour ago, JBP1933 said:

I got the vent open and it looks like the screws that hold it to the mechanism are accessed through the outside. 

There was no screen on the vent. I know there are parts missing. PLY33 mentioned a spring. Can you tell me where it goes.

There is a handle with a headed pin on it that looks like it goes against stationary bracket with a notch in it. 

So I think a spring holds the handle back against the notch. I don't know the size or exactly where the spring goes.

Can anyone answer this or what other parts may be missing.

I am attaching a photo of the spring that I installed in my car. I recall measuring the approximate length needed when I was putting things together and then buying an assortment of springs near that size from my local hardware store then trying them until I found one that seemed to give a good feel.

There was no screen. At least I have not seen evidence of a screen and the parts book doesn’t list one so if one existed it was not considered to be a replaceable part.

IMG_1032lores.jpg

The cowl vent is done. Had to remove the entire vent.

The handle was bent and had only one screw holding the handle to vent. The screw was not tight.

You could not tighten or loosen the screw. I drilled it out and tap the hole, put it all together, lubed all the hinges.

Put the PLY33 spring in, and now it's great.

While I was under the dash, I took out the instrument panel, it need some love'n.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, JBP1933 said:

The cowl vent is done. Had to remove the entire vent.

The handle was bent and had only one screw holding the handle to vent. The screw was not tight.

You could not tighten or loosen the screw. I drilled it out and tap the hole, put it all together, lubed all the hinges.

Put the PLY33 spring in, and now it's great.

While I was under the dash, I took out the instrument panel, it need some love'n.

Glad to be of some assistance.