1930 Cadillac Paint Code Question

jwilli43

The answer is subjective, there were factory standard colors on all three lines........8,12, and 16. There were a few popular colors. Fact is, you could order just about anything. Same went for upholstery material. That said, custom crazy colors and fabrics were rarely done. I have seen a Cadillac Town Car upholstered in unborn calf skin, because it was the softest leather available..........definitely not politically correct today! Most of what you see on V-16’s like this green one are copied from advertising done in high end publications. They often showed cars in metallic ink in Country Life, The Spur, and other such high end magazines of the day. Like today, colors were trendy and changed every few years. The build sheets for all Cadillac’s are available, thus you can determine the factory paint. My guess is the car in your photo is not a factory color.......or with that much metallic in it. I do think the car looks good and presents well. I have factory upholstery books and paint charts and books from 29,30, and 31. The standard offerings were no where as bright or pleasing as we often see today. Many, many, many cars were all black..........or some color combinations of dark body colors with black fenders. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3