No Kickdown

kdml

Last year I did a thorough examination (or so I thought) of my kickdown/switch pitch functionality on my '65, before I finally put the car back on the road.  Here is the thread:

Unfortunately, when I finally drove the car for the first time in 11 years, I had no kickdown.  To eliminate the wiring or switch adjustment from my testing, I have been testing at the transmission by applying 12 volts directly to the connector on the outside of the transmission. 

I can hear the trans click when applying voltage to the horizontal tang (switch pitch) on the connector, but nothing when applying voltage to the vertical tang (kickdown).  However, when I drain the trans fluid from the transmission, I can hear a click when applying voltage to the vertical tang (kickdown).  Does this indicate a problem with the switch in the trans?  Could the fluid be preventing the switch from engaging or is the fluid muffling the click I am expecting to hear?  I am considering replacing the switch in the trans, assuming I can find a replacement; however, I wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before.

Thanks

Doug

Thanks

I just ran jumper wires from the switch through the window inside the car, and touched them together while driving. My problem was the upper unit. I don't remember what wires I jumped, but as I recall it wasn't hard to figure out from a wiring diagram

Not sure I am following the responses.  I am testing at the plug on the side of the transmission, which would eliminate the wiring and switches between the engine and trans.   However, I have already tested wiring and switches from the engine and they all work as expected.

I may just go ahead and replace the detent solenoid on the trans valve body, as it does not seem to work/click when trans is full of fluid.  I was just trying to see if this was something others have experienced before throwing parts at the problem.

Thanks

I had to dig thru my build thread to find info that might help u. I thing guys here on the forum told me was that u will not hear the KD solenoid due to the trans fluid muffling it. 

I think what the previous replies to your Q on this thread about the wiring was simply to ensure u had good contacts. As u won’t be able to hear the “click” with the fluid in place. Good contacts would ensure a test drive would be successful. If u are heading the solenoid “click” after u drained the fluid I think that tells u it is in fact working. 

I have now gone in a different direction (EFI) but what may apply to u was the adjustment of the KD switch. What I mean was that in my case my throttle body throttle linkage travel wasn’t playing nice with the travel on my KD switch. I finally got the switch adjusted by screwing the threaded eyelet of the KD switch in/out (now I can’t remember which direction I needed to go).

I think the 2 numbers they say the KD comes in at was at 40% throttle & 70%? Don’t quote me on that tho. I can most definitely feel my KD kick in when I am getting on an on-ramp or simulating that which would be the 40% mark. As I attempt to feel the 70% kick by simulating I am passing a big rig I don’t always seem to feel it. I seem to definitely feel more when there is any kind of incline. But on a smooth flat road KD is smooth but it’s there. 

I have been talking to my transmission rebuilder buddy. He has convinced me to let him rebuild my trans. I haven’t pulled it yet cuz my car drives fine. But he says (& I’m sure others will chime in) that I should feel that second KD (70%) as good as I feel the first KD (40%). 

hope that helps 

So now I have 2 different answers on whether I should hear the solenoid click. In my original thread I was told I should and this new thread I am hearing I may not, due to the fluid.  Since the solenoid is easy to get at, I may just replace it to rule it out. 

Also, I do have a tach. I don’t feel kickdown or see it on the tach; however, any further road testing will need to wait until all the snow melts and the temps get out of the single digits. 

Thanks

Doug

Phil Collins said it best:

There's too many men, too many people
Making too many problems
And there's not much love to go around
Can't you see this is the land of confusion?

Just trying to help. Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m no mechanic. I was just relaying info that was given to me 😬

7 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Start your test light at the fuse box and check every connection as you work your way to the solenoid.

Is there a fuse on the wiper circuit? That's where its powered.

No worries on the confusion.  I asked for opinions and expect sometimes they will differ.

I tested at the plug on the trans again today and listened to the bottom of the pan with a stethoscope...no click.  All the wiring is good and I get power at the plug at the trans when the throttle is engaged.  

I am going to replace the solenoid in the transmission.   Will report back my findings after replacement.

Thanks

Doug

Update

I replaced the solenoid in the trans this weekend. Click is now noticeable. I can even hear it click while sitting in the car with the key on and engine off, while pressing the gas pedal.  The real test will be in the spring when I can get the car out again. 

Thanks

• Like 4