I have been looking into the color and pin striping matter as I am getting ready to paint my own 1910 Model 20. I believe that this restored car (see: http://classicoldcars.net/1910-hupmobile/photos.htm) is very close to what the Model 20 paint work looked like when new. The body (red), chassis (red), running gear (black) and pin striping (black) certainly all aligns with pictures and original advertising materials I have collected. The pin striping on the hood panels was very distinctive with a thin line bordered by a heavy black line on each of the four panels. I believe that the body beading was highlighted black and the black pin striping also extended to the fuel tank. Likewise the black pin striping on the wheels and chassis and red pin striping on the fenders appears correct. I would caution about going too light red or orange-red with the body/chassis paint work as the 1909 and (early) 1910's were noted as being "bright" or "bold" red when new. A mint original sales brochure I have shows the car as being what I would describe as "fire engine" red. Red is one of the most susceptible colors to degradation, so we need to be careful with referencing any residual paint on survivor cars/restoration projects. I also note that period advertisements and photo's show that the radiator on some (circa 1910?) cars were also painted red with black pin striping (painted or color matched radiators were a feature of the period and offered by many manufacturers). I guess that keeping brass shiny was just as laborious back then as it is today, possibly more so then, given the use of the cars in wet and mucky conditions. This all said, I am not sure I can bring myself to paint my nicely restored brass radiator. At some stage late in 1910 and certainly from 1911 on, Model 20s were painted differently e.g. dark blue with light grey wheels and black fenders with white pin stripes (others might have more information to share here). I note that the car in the above link has incorrect diamond style cushioning on the back of the seats (these should be plain seat backs) and a non-standard brass front apron. These items aside, I think it is a pretty good reference car and looks to be well restored. 

Hope this information and reference helps.

Edited by PMac (see edit history)

Factory advertisement below. It is bit hard to see the back of the car in this one but the BLACK pinstripe detail on the hood is clear (thin back line bordered by a heavier black line). I have a few other different adverts showing exact same detail. 

cleardot.gif
859378553_image1(2).thumb.jpeg.ff2ae616d2c932737544365f51c0fbb0.jpeg

Here are a few more pictures for reference. The first is a picture from Bill Cuthbert's book The Hupmobile Story. The second is a color plate in the sales brochure I have. Both show the black pinstriping. These may be helpful also.

1910 Hupp Black Pinstripe.jpeg

1910 Hupp Sales Brochure.jpeg

The last picture came from the 1910 sales brochure and is clearly an artists rendition but, the pinstriping detail the artist has captured is consistent with the other period images of actual cars including that which Bill published in his book (on page 22). If you read my earlier comment re the brass radiator, you will note that I believe that the radiators on 1910 cars were painted red (this also aligns with the advertising materials). On page 22 of Bill's book, the front and top view of the car (the same car in the first picture of my last post) shows the radiator on the 1910 and it appears to be painted with two pinstripes across the top and a single pinstripe on the front of the top and bottom tanks. This also aligns with the photos and images in the advertising. I am open minded enough to consider that they could have painted some 1910 cars with white pinstriping, I just haven 't seen any evidence of this in period photos or advertisements. Let us know if you find some period pictures showing this, it would really help with our understanding of these cool little cars. 

image0 (3).jpeg

image1 (4).jpeg

I  showed a  picture of  Bill Cuthberts  car. If you  can  not  believe the  guy  who  wrote The  Hupmobile Story would  have NOT restored  his  car  correctly than  I  have  no  more  to  say,  you  seem to  have  all the  answers.

The last thing I would profess is to have all the answers and I am sorry for you that you feel the need to make a comment like this. What I do know is that with the passage of time and access to new information, often made available by technology (e.g. the internet), our understanding of what was can evolve. I am merely sharing some amateur research that I have done so that others can benefit should they choose to do so. My experience with other similar antique car forums is that sharing information and observations is welcomed and not met with sarcastic comments.  It would be great if others would share their information and period pictures of Model 20's so we can learn more on this topic. Please don't be put off by what happened here.

Veteranfan my  intention was  only  to  help you with  a  question you  had. I  in  my  81  years have  helped  many  people. Knowing that a  friend  had  the  same  car you  had  a question about,  I  thought  back  and  remembered  the  color  of  the  pin  strip you  had  a  question  about. So  knowing  Bill as  a member  of the  Hupmobile Club for  a long  time and  him  being very  knowledgeable on  Hupmobles I  figured  if his  car  was  restored, it  would  be  correct. Not seeing an  original 1910 Model 20 , not  an artist rendering with what  the  artist thought  was  the proper  color. I  do  not  have  an original brochure for  a 1910 Model  20. that  states the  color  of  the  pin  stripe. This  being  said  I  apologize to  you  for  not  knowing what I told  you  to be a fact. 

Edited by Hupp36
correct spelling (see edit history)

I won't argue with anyone, but I'll take an original, period photograph over an artist representation any time, as to the brass radiator. No paint on that one, see picture.  It's very early, as still white tires, which didn't last long, either in use or availability.....I talked with a friend with a Stoddard Dayton, in 1912 the SD factory offered radiators in brass, painted, or nickel plated....so maybe it was an option on a Hupp to have a painted radiator.....

Also, in the late 50's or 60's, the uncle of a friend of mine (who's probably reading this) took an original car apart.  Remember at the time it was only 50 or so years ago, so yes, red might discolor, but less likely to do so under brackets.  He found a good sample of the original paint under a bracket, and researched it.  It was not a fire engine red, but rather a poppy red, and he cross referenced it to a 1950's Packard color.  I have his notes but would not post those without permission from my friend.

Thus, I painted mine that color.  Easy to debate right or wrong, not my intent, it's just a personal choice to use the evidence I had in hand, and I like how it came out.

100_3486.JPG

Hupp color.jpg

Marty front picture Hupp.jpg

That is a great period picture and the brass radiator is clear. I see it is captioned 1909 although it does have two step tread brackets (vs. the one bracket the 1909 had if my understanding is correct). Could it be a 1910 maybe? Your red color looks good in my opinion and the information and source is helpful. Here is a picture that appears to be a new 1910 in front of a Hupp dealer with a painted radiator. You could be right re the option of a painted or brass radiator. Perhaps also it was a transitionary change? If I zoom in there appears to be the black pinstriping on the hood but it just too hard to be sure due to the reflection off the hood. The beading on the side body rail does appear to be black. Again, zooming in, the black pinstriping on the wheels can be seen. Thanks for sharing this info.

image.png.26da658395045bd6b947e1286acd0ac8.png

Yes, I think it’s a 1910, the label was much later and probably not accurate.  I have a great documentation from a person who pulled a totally original 20 out of storage, and he documented pin striping..but only on the hood!  The original car showed a pinstripe, not a band, in from every edge of hood.  I can’t post it, again, he sent it to me and can’t post without his permission, but may try to edit it to post.

Hello and thankyou to everybody for their comments. Sorry if my question has caused any trouble.

I'm now a little confused about the pin striping.

Looks like the bonnet, body, wheels and fuel tank should have black stripes and the fenders red.

One last question, does anybody have a photo of the fuel tank lining they could post on this site?

Thanks.

Mines pinstriped black  and of course non  original color. Also has  buttoned  seats !  All incorrect  and how i brought it . I have thought about  changing it back to "oriiginal"  but  really  111 years later who ( other than us-and we're debating it  ) would really know or care . Just nice to see them out there  being used !