top material thoughts

blind pew

Finding the appropriate cobra pattern vinyl for the Woodie tops seems to be an ongoing problem with LeBonney Baron going bust. I have read that some members have used a central seam with two pieces of material or have simply used convertible top material. 

Being a fan of old movies, there are these infomercials about "Flex-steel", with the goofy guy who patches everything with the stuff and makes a rubber boat using it. I was thinking with my pea brain that perhaps one could use convertible top material and then spray on several coats of that crap, essentially providing a rubberized surface to canvas or convertible top material to achieve the rubberized surface we are looking for. Of course, the spraying would have to occur on the canvas prior to application. 

Any thoughts? I am a while away from applying top material, as I as still replacing plywood and redoing everything from a mechanical standpoint. I am a doc and have only 3-4 days every other month to work on the International, as it is at my farm, which is 400 miles away. Nonetheless, one has to plan for such things. 

I have used the spray Flex Seal for what it is intended for and it will not do what you want it to. (Flex-Steel is a sofa)   It is a lot like spray undercoating. It will not be a smooth coating and it will not have a pattern like cobra grain or faux leather or whatever. 

You're correct that finding 66" cobra grain has been non existent since LeBaron Bonney closed it's doors. I have seen the top material, whether it's cobra grain or other type top material, stitched in the center and also two stitched pieces about a foot in from each side of the top by using the 54" material.  In my opinion the two stitched pieces seems to look better. There have been several discussions on the lack of the 66" material and it can be searched on this site and others. I have made several phone calls to just about everyone that does antique car upholstery and the 54" cobra grain is no problem. I hate to put a damper on your "Flex Seal" idea but I think that you will regret it if you do your top that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack, the dilemma regarding the Cobra grain material is that for 1940-1948 Ford Station Wagons 66" wide material is required. At one time LeBaron Bonney was the only supplier that had 66" width material. Since the demise of LB, no company has had the 66" width. I personally called several of the main supply companies and all stock the 54" material that will work for sedans and coupes. Hopefully someone will have the 66" by now and if anyone knows who has 66" material please post it.