1928 Chrysler Model 72 Gas Tank Dent

leomara

I have a dent in my gas tank just to the right of the opening for the gas sending unit.  Some previous posts have talked about using a "Stinger" to weld small posts on to the dent and then use a slide hammer to pull it out.  There was another post where someone discussed using solder to attach a nail which would then be used with a slide hammer to pull it out.  Someone else suggested to just fill it with bondo.  Could there be a way to use the opening for the gas sending unit to get behind it and push it out?  I don't want to cut the tank open as a way to repair it.

Gas Tank Dent.jpg

Edited by leomara (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

Remember any heat you applied may effect the terme finish of the tank , the lead in it could be damaged . Maybe a hook shape to massage it out . Also be careful of the baffles .

I was thinking a similar remedy may be a curved body man's "spoon".

Hi Tim, I tried that, the paintless repair types say the metal is too thick to "pull out" unlike todays body sheet metal and the regular body shop said to fill it with bondo.  I really believe none of these guys know how or want to be bothered doing this so I'm looking for ideas on how to do it myself.....

Hi Tom, I've already had the tank cooked out.  It's in great shape for it's age and clean as a whistle.  I'm not going to cut it open.  That I believe would cause more problems than it would be worth.  I do like your "C" clamp idea and I'm going to try it.  Thank you.

Leo,

Take it to a radiator repair shop, they can unsolder and take off one end, then you can get the dent beaten out and the radiator guys can refit and solder the end back on, they can also check the condition of the pipe inside the tank whilst they are at it.

I took both ends off my series 62 tank to clean it out and get it replated, while it was apart, I found it had many dents that had been filled by old school panel beaters, they had used lead to fill the dents. I took off 36lbs of lead solder and took out the dents.

Viv.