E Bay - handling the payments changes... you're thoughts?

broker-len

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to E Bay - handling the payments changes... you're thoughts?

I had not been aware of this.  I've been fine with Pay-Pal payments which wind up in a Pay-Pal user account until you disposition the funds.  That stuff is all Synchrony Bank.  Reading over all the wonderful things "Manged Payments" promises at the Link provided by Pete I notice one word is conspicuous by it's absence. 

SAFETY  

What safeguards does E-Bay provide for sellers???

• Like 1

I opened a new account at my bank just for this. Once the payouts hit this account I don't wait too long before transferring the funds away from this account to someplace I feel is more secure. In other words I don't keep much of a balance in this account in case it is compromised. I didn't like it but felt I had no choice if I was to continue using ebay and so far so good -no real complaints. Worst part is it makes it harder to reconcile my sales with what shows up in the account but it is manageable.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

I had not been aware of this.  I've been fine with Pay-Pal payments which wind up in a Pay-Pal user account until you disposition the funds.  That stuff is all Synchrony Bank.  Reading over all the wonderful things "Manged Payments" promises at the Link provided by Pete I notice one word is conspicuous by it's absence. 

SAFETY  

What safeguards does E-Bay provide for sellers???

Really NONE!!!

• Like 2

I’m discontinuing selling after Feb 1 which the warnings now say is the cutoff. I figure if enough do it too, maybe it gets better for sellers. I’m ok with skipping PayPal but not leaving eBay completely in the driver seat in terms of chasing down conflicts or summarily deducting $20 per incident as per their FAQ section. Doesn’t happen often w disputes but I’ve been on the losing end every time. Those have cost me automatic deductions for shipping parts back and pissed me off when it was roughly $10. And I got to still pay the original selling juice as a “penalty” for the buyer not being happy. Now automatic $20 as well as a penalty? Don’t think so.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John348 said:

I am sort of lost here, so paypal will no longer be accepted?

Looks like buyers can still pay with PayPal but sellers will have their money deposited into linked bank accounts, not their PayPal account.

• Like 1

Yeah it kind of sucks to get paid with pay pal,  but then it goes to ebay payments,  then gets transferred to my bank,  then I get to transfer it to a different account,  then transfer that back into pay pal.  So almost 2 weeks later the money is back in my pay pal.  Every time I send an invoice I have to check the box that I accept pay pal.  Why I have no idea,  since the money doesn't go to my pay pal. Of course things like this they don't fix and are aware of as an ebay assistant noticed and told me it wasn't right since I was in managed payments so she wrote a work order to have it fixed, but of course they still haven't fixed it over a month later.  They also didn't fix the invoicing problem they created with one of their updates, which is why I contacted them in the first place. 

This is why we get frustrated when they make changes we don't like,   because they don't fix actual problems we report. 

15 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Looks like buyers can still pay with PayPal but sellers will have their money deposited into linked bank accounts, not their PayPal account.

Speed is the only change. If you had your PayPal account linked to a debit card, just get a card linked to your bank account, you will be using with eBay. List the item, sell the item, you get your money in 1-2 days in stead of hours with the PayPal system. I don't know what time of the day they decide to mail a "Payout" put it is the first thing I look for in my eBay PM's. I'm happy with the new deal. Bob 

• Like 2

Just an observation, from what I've read about eBay on this site there must be several different "eBay accounts" you can have based on your volume of listings. Mine works fine for me, without any fancy bells and whistles, list, sell, get paid,  pack and mail. NOT rocket science. Bob 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Just an observation, from what I've read about eBay on this site there must be several different "eBay accounts" you can have based on your volume of listings. Mine works fine for me, without any fancy bells and whistles, list, sell, get paid,  pack and mail. NOT rocket science. Bob 

Same here, I double checked to see if they contacted me with a message and nothing... I am fine with that. I am not a heavy volume ebay seller I just try to use up my 200 free listing each month, just simplifying my life and trying to move things on that I will never use before it goes in a landfill when I expire.

I talked to the nicest lady from eBay about setting up my account.  She told me I couldn't use the account at my bank that has been my PayPal deposit account.  I went to the trouble to set up a new checking account just for eBay.  I asked her how she could be so helpful and nice on the phone dealing with eBay's changes.  She told me that is a lot less fun dealing with customer complaints.

After many calls of which I can't call them, but they can call me on that same number. I was told that it would be fine.  Guess where they sent the first and all the payments....Yup, the original PayPal bank account.  No way to contact them and I still get this in red letters....

"You need to update your account details on file in order to avoid any issues with payouts in the future. Update account details".

eBay used to be fun 18 years ago, but not now.  They just want to keep more of the 14.2 % expenses and cut PayPal out.  My dealers can still pay me with PayPal, so can still buy on eBay and other businesses.

I bought a lifetime membership to EBID 10 years ago, but my items are not good sellers on there.  You can list as many items as you want on EBID for free.  When something sells, the commission is only 3%!  Plus your listings go on until it sells.  They also let you use PayPal!!

On 1/27/2021 at 10:56 AM, deaddds said:

I’m discontinuing selling after Feb 1 which the warnings now say is the cutoff. I figure if enough do it too, maybe it gets better for sellers. I’m ok with skipping PayPal but not leaving eBay completely in the driver seat in terms of chasing down conflicts or summarily deducting $20 per incident as per their FAQ section. Doesn’t happen often w disputes but I’ve been on the losing end every time. Those have cost me automatic deductions for shipping parts back and pissed me off when it was roughly $10. And I got to still pay the original selling juice as a “penalty” for the buyer not being happy. Now automatic $20 as well as a penalty? Don’t think so.

Great post... dead on!

I think I'm closing mine, will decide by tomorrow night, just isn't worth the hassle any more. Been there since the beginning so it's hard to give up just yet..  but the writing is on the wall.

I can relate as I sell all used parts.

My auctions have always said in large black font "NO RETURNS, THESE ARE ANTIQUE PARTS AND YOU ARE BUYING AS IS. DO NOT BID IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE ITEM. PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE PURCHASING AND I'LL BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY OF YOUR QUESTIONS. PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH TO INSURE THE APPLICATION IS SPECIFIC FOR YOUR VEHICLE" yada  yada ya... 

Used to be people could read and would just move on if they didn't want to buy if you had no return policy or at least show some kind of accountability for their own ignorance if they didn't read it, but now too many a$&holes are just trying to make others lives more miserable than their own, as if all used parts sellers should honor a 100 year old part as a brand new part.... 

Ebay is a joke anymore.....

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

On 1/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, flackmaster said:

I strongly objected to the new requirement. I considered turning my back on selling via Ebay.  Does it do any good?  Probably not...Ebay has changed our world, and we are forced to change along with it.  

Forced? 

I understand your premise but none of us are forced to stay. But I get what you're saying...

There are other ways to sell our product we just have to work harder at it which is inconvenient.... I think that may be at the heart of why you say forced. I get it...

Ebay made it easy at first, but with all the changes and hassle they put sellers through now, is it really that easy anymore or worth it to sell on that platform? I'm sure there are countless sellers thinking long and hard about this decision currently and it will be interesting to look into the future to see how this changes things. 

Hopefully we'll all get our dream automobile auction website someday (boy wouldn't that be nice..) but until then, I'd bet convenience and worldwide exposure are the two main reasons a lot of us have stayed with them this long.

If we ever see that dream automotive auction website in our lifetime, the market share damage to ebay will be significant enough that they'll be forced (there's that word again) to rethink their policies, especially for the seller of used parts or items that have no warranty and no return policies. After all, why have a no return policy option for the used item sellers if they're not going to enforce it or stand behind it anyway,,, makes no sense. If ebay are not going to stand behind sellers they should remove all of those listing options. Come to think of it, that's probably inevitable anyway based on their track record this past decade.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

My auctions have always said in large black font "NO RETURNS, THESE ARE ANTIQUE PARTS AND YOU ARE BUYING AS IS. DO NOT BID IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE ITEM. PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE PURCHASING AND I'LL BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY OF YOUR QUESTIONS. PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH TO INSURE THE APPLICATION IS SPECIFIC FOR YOUR VEHICLE" yada  yada ya... 

In ebay world, this does not make any difference. The last time sold anything on ebay I also had that notice and ebay refunded all of the money and the buyer kept the item.  I got no recourse.  I have not sold on ebay since.

• Like 5

Ive got a negative feedback in the last year. It was a guy pissing and moaning that the nos trim I sold couldnt be nos as the package was opened. He insisted I had to supply a return postage and take it back. We messaged several times and when there is a dispute,  the ebay rep can open the messages and see what was said. I offered to take it back but shipping was on him. His message back was he can just make up an excuse and ebay will force me. Sure enough thats what happened. Not only did they automatically deduct from my paypal direct the shipping cost, I got charged out the sale % and the first shipping bill%. When I asked to move up the next level of ebay rep I talked extensively to the guy and walked him line by line on the exchanged messages with the buyer. He said I was  charged the fees to make me get in line and encourage me to better represent my parts. Thats when I got shi++y. Pointed out the guy flat out said he was making stuff up to get the refund and ebay still sided with him. I also wanted to know exactly how to show buyers an nos part in an opaque package. I asked isnt it harder to sell an item that the buying public cant actually see? I dont think the supervisor knew what opaque meant. No recourse,  suck it. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

In ebay world, this does not make any difference. The last time sold anything on ebay I also had that notice and ebay refunded all of the money and the buyer kept the item.  I got no recourse.  I have not sold on ebay since.

It's like putting a ''fragile'' sticker on a package, you're just asking to get it drop kicked. Ebay will always side with the buyer no matter what.

-Ron

1 hour ago, Coley said:

I have had 3 times when eBay paid the buyer with their own money and told me he was a repeat jerk.  It didn't go against my seller record.

PayPal however, will refund money even after 6 months. 

You have some special place in ebay then.  I sell about $120,000 in Vintage merchandise every year, for the last close to 15 years now and ebay has never comped an item,  much less even return shipping (we are talking many items that sell under $10,  and my defect rate is something like .0001% I literally have maybe one complaint about an item a year which I always offer to take a return on.  Maybe 2 more a year about an item that didn't arrive.  Usually those end up arriving a month later.  That's with around 10,000+ auctions a year and a sell through rate of probably 99.5% or better. 

Let me know what I need to do to get in that special program because my 100% feedback and top rated seller status isn't doing it. 

• Like 1