I need all body mounts for a four door 1951 Plymouth.  I'm in Canada, so the car is badged as a Dodge - but it IS actually a 51 American Plymouth. It was my grandad's car. He worked at Chrysler in Windsor in the late 20's until the 1950's when he died. He bought this car new in 1951 at Ambassador Motors, Windsor.

I give this bit of history  because I want to save the car, and as I age, my only hope is to give it to one of my nephews.  As it needs all body mounts, they will not be able to certify it up here, so my fear is that my nephews will then scrap it. If any one has ideas, how I can get new or good used body mounts I'd be appreciative. Peter

• Like 3

36 Plymouth 40 Dodge, welcome to the forum. I would check Roberts Motor Parts, 17 Prospect Street, West Newbury, Ma. 01985. Phone # 1-800-231-3180, or 1-978-363-2026. Hope this helps. John

I'd like to thank both you Gentlemen for your helpful, meaningful replies. "Thank You" !!

Yep, I'll check Robert's Motor Parts - and advise of their reply in due course. (Never bought from them before.)

Second, I think I need both rubber insulators and steel mounts. 

Just crawled under the car to make sure I recall correctly. All rubbers are original and look at best "sad".

Some of the steel mounts may be salvageable - but both middle mounts (Driver's and Passenger) are mostly rusted away.

I'd prefer to get all (or more) of the mounts - so if I get someone to help me - they can finish the job, whatever they find.

May as well replace whatever needs it - its all pretty dilapidated.

Peter

PS.  As you gents know, its a common four door car, not seen as desirable, with huge numbers made.

Its sentimental for me; probably not for my nephews.

I put in a pic of it by way of a further "Thank You" to you both!

Any further suggestions will be gratefully received.  Thank You !!  PeterDSC01059.thumb.JPG.d7de92b56cb2bf8d0dd79db6655d7b7c.JPG

• Like 4

Peter, I have dealt with Roberts Motor Parts in the past, and he is very knowledge when it comes to all Mopars. Another fellow also up in Mass. is Andy Bernbaum. Andy also deals with Chrysler products, and carries a large inventory of parts for your Plymouth. Good luck, John

The Steel parts that are rusted away,  you will probably not find new.  You may have to have them cut out of a Western car from one of the Big salvage yards still dealing in old cars.  If they don't have the rubber mounts at one of the suppliers,  you may be able to substitute something from a more common make that will work.  Like a Chevy or Ford part that has a larger aftermarket supply. 

• Like 1

That is a nice looking Plymouth. I owned a 1953 Plymouth, which is basically the same car as yours. It was one of the most dependable cars that I have owned. Great project. John

"Thank You" again, for your comments !

I phoned Roberts Motor parts, followed by Bernbaum's and while both had the rubber insulators for the mounts,

neither had the 'metal body mounts' themselves.  Neither gave any idea where I could try - perhaps they don't

like to refer to a competitor. (?)  In my car, both middle body mounts, driver's and passengers side are "toast"; OK

possibly for a pattern, but nothing else.  Other body mounts while not great, are better than the two middle ones.

I do need the metal parts (particularly the middle mounts) - so any additional ideas would be much appreciated.

'Thank You' again !  P.

Yep, I do like the 53 Plymouth !

Peter, for clean metal mounts, I would try Desert Valley Auto Parts , 22213 N. 21st. Ave., Phoenix, Az 85027. Phone number is 1-623-780-8024. A second place to try is Hidden Valley Auto Parts, 53501 W. Jersey Drive, Maricopa, Az. 85139. Phone number is 1-502-568-2945. Closed on Saturday and Sunday. I noticed there were a few early 50's Mopars in the yards. Good luck. John

Reporting back: Today I ordered a set of Body Mounts for my grandad's car from Desert Valley Auto parts.

Yep, they're expensive - but more to the point, I am quite grateful. Maybe I can get the car so these

nephews of mine, use the car, and over time perhaps even get to love it a bit (???)    OK, I'm an optimist...

Thanks first and most of all, to the two fine Gentlemen who replied; I can get the rubber parts - they are

available in a couple of places - but I needed the help both you Gentlemen provided. An additional 'special thanks'

to John for naming the place and phone number that these Body Mounts were 'living at' !!

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peter, you are more than welcome. I am always happy to help you out in any way  that I can. What I love about this forum, and  you will see it as you continue to use this site,  what a great club The AACA is. We  are fortunate to have so many great men and women in the AACA who share their incredible knowledge on a regular basis. 

As far as a picture of the '53 Plymouth goes, I'm sorry. It was one of the few cars that I have owned that I don't have a picture of. It was a Bronze and Tan Cranbrook 4 door sedan. I sold it to a fellow collector on Long Island, who drove it all the time. He had it for six months, when, one night, his neighbor's kid  trying to impress his girlfriend , drove his Corvette into the trunk of the Plymouth. Both cars were destroyed, and she was not impressed at all!

Thank You for your posts John !

Nope, no word yet - but the parcel is coming from quite a distance. I check for the parcel here daily.

I hesitate to call the fellow sending it until I've absolutely 'given up' - so that I don't 'bug anyone'.

When ordering, I asked the fellow sending it to me, about his weather.

Once he told me what his Arizona weather was like that day - I joked about my being located 4 miles due south of Santa.

OK, its not accurate; but if you saw the amount of snow here, and how cold it is, why it can't be all that wrong (can it) ?

I'll post a courtesy e-mail when the parts comes in.

I was interested in your 53 Plymouth and sorry to hear of its fate. I really quite like that car - but it is rarely seen up here.

Though I don't attend all that many cruise nights, I've never, ever seen even one ! Yet, they must have been popular...

If you get a chance to post a pic of your favorite car now John - or the favorite car you have owned in the past, I'd be appreciative.

I was going to ask for this before - on hearing what happened to your 53 - but didn't want to be 'too forward'.

Anyway, 'Thank You ' John !

Peter

PS. I'm looking as well for a 40 Dodge split front seat.  (I've rather given up. ) I never even asked the fellow in Arizona - as
he thought sending me the 51 Plymouth inner rockers was too large a parcel to easily send to me.  He told me his local post

office had refused things of that size in the past...  (So I stopped myself asking about an entire front seat !)

I am distant from everything, that's my problem. 

But in summer, I might still try to go get it - if its not too far - and if I'm sure its the right size. They don't seem too common...

P.

Peter, thanks for the kind words. I will see what I can come up with any kind of pictures. You are right as far as 1953 Plymouths go, I really don't see that many down here in the New York, Long Island area. They are very  good, dependable cars. Thanks, John