Looking for a V-16 Cadillac for restoration

supercargirl

I have just started a search for a client that would like to purchase a V-16 (he is not particular about the model) that is either a complete project, an older restoration or never restored.  I would be interested in anything anyone has to offer.

On another note I have come across the name Rick LeForge several times as an authority on these cars but I can not find any contact information for him.  Does anyone know anything about Mr. Leforge.

Thanks so much.

Kelly Dietrick

duesdealer@gmail.com

It has been literally 50 years since I last saw Rick LeForge, a Cad collector who also owned a chem-strip/dip facility in Palo Alto, CA and lived in adjacent Menlo Park.

Google is your friend:

https://books.google.com/books?id=-4EUEAAAQBAJ&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq="Rick+LeForge"&source=bl&ots=Q7Hjs2SROM&sig=ACfU3U0euGtwwecPVdzMRUeb1htAp6_3Fg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiSge7x_LfuAhV7CjQIHWkdDCAQ6AEwAXoECAoQAg#v=onepage&q="Rick LeForge"&f=false

But I suspect he's close to 90 y o today if he's still with us.

Google is certainly my friend.  That is how I found his name.  But it does not tell you if the information you are reading is current or unfortunately if the person you are seeking is still alive.

I wonder where all the research material goes when historian passes away?  He had an excel file of many of the V-16's.

Here is my two cents. 30/31  v-16s do not drive nearly as well as do 32 on. They have a truck feel and poor carbs. Most overhead 16's

were built in 30/31. There is a tremendous value difference between closed and open bodies. If your client selects a closed

car make sure that it does not need much work. Restoration costs for a closed car can quickly exceed its value. Many open cars

are body changes so become aware of build sheets that are readily available.

I am aware of several open cars that might be available, both restored and un-restored. Feel free to email me. jcrow22006@aol.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if you are still looking for a 16 or not. If so try

Brian Coffee

skindoccoffee@aol.com

(937) 776-7202

(937) 643-2393

He had several a few years ago and is starting to sell off part of his collection. If you get a hold of him, tell him Wayne Elsworth sent you.

• 2 months later...

You should try to buy a house today.. They are selling to  cash only  buyer today..  They are out of every body's budget.

You know only 4K were built. You should jump on the this one..

I  am very happy I picked up  3 houses back in 2008.. They were cheap..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Way out of my client's budget!  I have found a 1938 V-16 Series 90 Fleetwood Club Coupe.  Definitely a restoration project.  I would like to send the car to someone that can help me figure out what we are dealing with and help determine a price.  I want to keep the car in confidence for the time being.  I can be reached at duesdealer@gmail.com

if anyone is interested in helping me out.

Kelly Dietrick

17 minutes ago, supercargirl said:

Way out of my client's budget!  I have found a 1938 V-16 Series 90 Fleetwood Club Coupe.  Definitely a restoration project.  I would like to send the car to someone that can help me figure out what we are dealing with and help determine a price.  I want to keep the car in confidence for the time being.  I can be reached at duesdealer@gmail.com

if anyone is interested in helping me out.

Kelly Dietrick

https://straight-eight.com/

On 3/18/2021 at 4:29 PM, yachtflame said:

Not sure if you are still looking for a 16 or not. If so try

Brian Coffee

skindoccoffee@aol.com

(937) 776-7202

(937) 643-2393

He had several a few years ago and is starting to sell off part of his collection. If you get a hold of him, tell him Wayne Elsworth sent you.

Thank you Wayne.  No answer at the first number and the second is disconnected.  Just tried the email.  Fingers crossed.

20 minutes ago, supercargirl said:

Thank you Wayne.  No answer at the first number and the second is disconnected.  Just tried the email.  Fingers crossed.

Shawn Miller was helping him dispose of the cars so I would try reaching out to him.

Ok, I don’t know if any of his V-16 cars are for sale, but you might contact a gentleman in New Orleans.

I prefer not to give a name, but if you research PT-305 (PT boat) and the WWII Museum, the gentleman who restored that boat is working on his dad’s collection.

Or, his name may already have been given to you.

I’m not making it easy on you, but it’s a lead if you wish to follow it.  Good luck.

36 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Ok, I don’t know if any of his V-16 cars are for sale, but you might contact a gentleman in New Orleans.

I prefer not to give a name, but if you research PT-305 (PT boat) and the WWII Museum, the gentleman who restored that boat is working on his dad’s collection.

Or, his name may already have been given to you.

I’m not making it easy on you, but it’s a lead if you wish to follow it.  Good luck.

T.C.?

Thanks to some good advice written by Matt Harwood concerning V16's and I paraphrase:   A V16 Cadillac is A LOT of car for anyone, and borderline too much for a first-timer. It is both expensive to buy and expensive to own, and the purchase check will only be the first of several (maybe many) large checks to be written. Club sedan is desirable, colors manageable, make sure interior is good.  If you are dead-set on a 1930-31 Cadillac, my professional advice is to start with a V8 car at 1/4 the price and decide if you like it. If you want to move up to a V16 later, it's easy. Starting with a V16 means you're in with a big up-front cost and if the car is wrong, it will be VERY expensive to fix and/or sell.  We have decided to concentrate on V8 Cadillacs, Packards, etc.

I will be posting a new request.  Thanks Matt for helping us dodge a bullet.  

Edited by supercargirl (see edit history)
  • Like 1