1940 Series 70 manual transmission shift lever oil seals

larryo

I have a 1940 Buick Series 70 manual transmission that is weeping oil from the both the shifter rod and selector rod shafts.  The shop manual diagram indicates that there is a "Transmission Case Seal" which seals the shift rod shaft and also a "Selector Lever Shaft Oil Seal" which seals the selector rod.  Does any one know where these seals are available and what is involved in their replacement. I have not done any disassembly yet.  I did located what I believe to be a replacement shift shaft seal (TSS-390) at Bob's Automobilia.....however I'm not sure, the item description is vague.   I cannot find a seal for the selector rod. 

Thank you for any help.  Larry

Here you go:  http://nwtparts.com/index.php?route=common/home

Replacing the selector shaft seals is not possible with the transmission in the car.  You have to pull the shafts in the the transmission to remove the selector shaft and insert the new seal.  I've never tried to reseal the transmission in the car, but the problem that is likely to stop you is removing the old seal without interior housing access.

The seal around the upper/larger shaft is a replaceable lip seal. If your good?you could do it from under car. The one thats most prone to leaking is on the bottom around the smaller diameter shift shaft. Originally little thin cork "washer". To be effective in holding fluid in, pull trans, disassemble till you can get that shaft out, install one or two O rings, (trial&error) fitting, unless someone here knows size they used, not me, what were we talkn bout? Oh yeah, sealing transmission! Good luck! Good time to check condition of stuff, "as long as yer down there" good to check for the seal around front shaft of transmission usually overlooked(who knew that was sposed to be there, right?) Have phun!