I know there have been several discussions about (barn finds). And, I know there are many folks who have a distaste for this word. My question to those that are willing to inpart with their opinions, without a lot of off topic comment, just what is your definition of "barn find" ? Does it have to be found in a barn ? Does it have to be covered in an inch of dust ? Could it be a running, driving car or truck without a lot of work ?

Edited by Morgansdad
Not clear ? (see edit history)

I think "Barn Find" can be added to the group that includes "Xerox" and "Kleenex"

If it "copies" - it's a Xerox

If it "wipes your nose" - it's a Kleenex

If it "hasn't run in awhile" - it's a Barn Find

That includes my first classic - that I parked in my own garage for 25 years before pulling it out.

I even fell victim to my own "ran when parked" hype.  Thousands of dollars later it runs again!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

There a lots of things in an advt that I consider to be "noise" and have a null value.

To me a "barn find" could be better described as "found in long-term storage". I think the whole "barn find" thing can be appealing to people because it is exciting for any of us to find a car or parts or anything collectible that was stored away long ago and forgotten until "found". It's kind of on the same level as finding buried treasure. 

The distaste comes from it's over-use. I have purchased many collections (mainly parts) that had been stored in an old barn for many, many years but I am hesitant to use that term simply because it's over-use causes skepticism on the part of many.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, pkhammer said:

To me a "barn find" could be better described as "found in long-term storage". I think the whole "barn find" thing can be appealing to people because it is exciting for any of us to find a car or parts or anything collectible that was stored away long ago and forgotten until "found". It's kind of on the same level as finding buried treasure. 

The distaste comes from it's over-use. I have purchased many collections (mainly parts) that had been stored in an old barn for many, many years but I am hesitant to use that term simply because it's over-use causes skepticism on the part of many.

Thank you sir, finally someone who actually reads what is written.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is a car that has been hidden away for years. It is off the radar of even the most seasoned collectors. It is a shock when it is found. Just because your uncle put away his car dirty and left it sit in the garage for 20 years doesn't make it a barn find. If he has been talking about it the entire time at the local watering hole it wasn't hidden.

• Like 2

My 1946 Ford Station Wagon is a true barn find. It was parked in a barn in 1965 and found in 2001. The problem is the barn leaked and ruined the wood from the rear doors back. When the owner  realized the barn was leaking, he removed the tailgate and lift gate and put them in the rear seat area and saved them from destruction.

• Like 1

Barn or Garage or Shack. If an automobile has been put up in a structure for storage whether it’s a day or many years it can be a whatever the finder wants to call it. It’s a technicality of finding something you may or may not have been looking for when you open the door. That being said most car guys would consider a true barn find as having been stored for many years and has a good amount of dust/dirt and future work to get running. 
Just my 2 cents worth absolutely nothing! 
dave s 

• Like 1

Words having meaning.  To me it is only a “barn find” if the vehicle was actually pulled from a barn after a long slumber.   Over the years I have been involved in pulling cars from  barns and old garages.   I don’t care what I found the car in.  I only care that the owner sold it to me and it is now in my garage.   To me the fact that a car is covered in dirt and trash doesn’t add value it decreases the value.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

While in a lark vacation to Wisconsin in February 1996
 to do some snow mobile fun, the snow melted and I remembered a friend telling me of a few cars in his barn on the other side of Wisconsin.  A phone call found him in Florida for the winter.   He arranged for me to see the cars with the help of his son.   A 200 mile drive found us in the dark barn to view a 1935 Buick and a 1932 Packard 1102.

I took some pictures with my wife's pocket camera and left.  While walking back to our car in the snow,  My wife said, "You're not going to buy that, are you?  

I assured her that "no way, it was way to much work for me.   A week later, back in Florida we got the film developed and the pictures were awesome!   I bought the 1935 Buick because the Packard was not for sale.  3 1/2 years of nights and weekends later it was done.  We still enjoy this car today.

That is a true barn find to me.  the before, during and after pictures

Finished35.jpg

35Shakedown.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Much of terms abuse stems from the fact that, well folks, time's passing! Ads are now filled with "parked for 20 years!" So what? Sure, I understand, a 16 year old kid finds a '72 Chevy pickup that's been sitting since '98 (well before he was born) and it all seems like ancient history. He feels like he just turned a corner and found the Holy Grail. Meanwhile, I think "yeah, someone was just too lazy to get around to ever fixing that rusted brake line or bad clutch or burnt valve..." 

And then, I get excited over a car I found that's been hibernating in my neighborhood since I was a toddler (early 70's), known by only a few, and I think it's a great story. Meanwhile, some feel a REAL barn find was put away in 1938. 

My own definition would be a vehicle stored for 30 (maybe 35?) years or more, without any degree of care beyond storage, generally forgotten and unknown to the outside world before being discovered by a third party. 

Totally agree about the overuse of the term and the ridiculous-ness of the inch of of dust and rat poop having any value. To me the interesting part of the term is the actual archeological "finds" of long buried cars shown on so many tv and online videos although even those have stretched the terms meaning. My 34 Chevy qualifies as a barn find because it actually spent 23 years in a barn but it also spent 34 more years in unknown storage facilities before being revived as a running and driving car - "storage find" is probably a better term.

3.JPG

• Like 3

My last "barn find" was sitting in a garage in a home that they wanted to put on the market for 1.25MM (so "barn find" is not really an applicable term and matched to there really being no such thing as totally hidden cars anymore - more like hidden in plain sight (ask your mailman).   And, love it when I am out and someone is teeming with excitement that I am driving an Auburn  - "lve being asked if I know it is an Auburn" (a "quotable quote" and interestingly I do know, though I appreciate their enthusiasm).  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Totally agree about the overuse of the term and the ridiculous-ness of the inch of of dust and rat poop having any value. To me the interesting part of the term is the actual archeological "finds" of long buried cars shown on so many tv and online videos although even those have stretched the terms meaning. My 34 Chevy qualifies as a barn find because it actually spent 23 years in a barn but it also spent 34 more years in unknown storage facilities before being revived as a running and driving car - "storage find" is probably a better term.

3.JPG

Perfect !

7 hours ago, Porsche 68 said:

You mean like this

F6D279C2-4619-407A-9BC0-CC20FC689800.jpeg

A62E1AEC-BFC0-4B81-B81A-B2488BD21C4D.jpeg

My hat is off to those of you that have enough love of the sport to be able to save something like this !  I love it !

23 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Barn or Garage or Shack. If an automobile has been put up in a structure for storage whether it’s a day or many years it can be a whatever the finder wants to call it. It’s a technicality of finding something you may or may not have been looking for when you open the door. That being said most car guys would consider a true barn find as having been stored for many years and has a good amount of dust/dirt and future work to get running. 
Just my 2 cents worth absolutely nothing! 
dave s 

Sorry, Sir. To me everyone's two cents are worth something ! This is how I've been able to do some of the things I've been able to do.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dave Henderson said:

This aluminum bodied Siata Berlinetta was entombed in my late friend's garage for 35+ years.  It was known to his family and me but likely no one else.   MVC-007S.JPG.357f462dfcb0e9a44885f787f8892c1f.JPG

MVC-003S.JPG

MVC-004S.JPG

MVC-005S.JPG

MVC-006S.JPG

MVC-001S.JPG

MVC-002S.JPG

MVC-008S.JPG

excellent find !

• Like 1

My '31 unrestored Model-A Ford roadster was stored in an airplane hanger for many years.  Only taken out by the prior owner ever so often for family gatherings.  So, I guess it could be called a "hanger find" ?!?....🤣

Capt. Harley😉

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Morgansdad said:

excellent find !

Last known to be in the Netherlands (Nederlands), some may not realize the significance of this rare but dilapidated car, built by Stabilimenti Farina, Turin.  I recall that when purchased years ago by my late friend at a junkyard he paid $35 for it!
To follow its progression, google Joop Stolze Classic Cars/Siata Daina Coupe.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I can't tell you how many times I have said to myself that I wish I had x-ray vision so I could look into some of these places. Years ago my postman would give me clues where some people on his route had an old car in their driveway or garage that never moved. 

There are plenty of old cars sitting around the area where I live but, of course, the owner is going to restore is one day. There is a 1966 GTO sitting in a guys back yard and I remember stopping in 1977 and asking if it was for sale. I was told he was going to fix it up one day. Now, the rust in the quarters can be seen from the road.

• Like 2